M14 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
I spent time in the naval amphib side and went thru MEU operations in mid 90’s. We could do it. The tech we have now would however negate all the vast bodies 1944 needed.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
We haven't fought a near peer war in decades.
...And in the nuclear age we should be extremely thankful that is the case.

My point is that the sacrifices of our younger vets since 2001 should not be downplayed and gross generalizations about the current generations (X or Y or whatever) is not relevant to this thread. Moving on...

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Don't forget, the US hasn't declared war since 1942. What's up with that?
Declared wars became "obsolete" when Truman sent American troops into Korea to fight a "police action", in a clear attempt to evade Congressional oversight. He believed that the fiat from the United Nations was a higher authority than that of his co-equal branches of government. Since Korea, all Presidents have sent troops into harm's way under the guise of Executive Power, and they even stretch the limits of the War Powers Act beyond all recognition.

Congress folks, in their everlasting desires for re-election, are afraid to defy him.

·
Registered
All gun laws are unconstitutional
6,962 Posts
I also don't see the point of the older generation denigrating the service of the younger generation. Yes there are more Vietnam vets due to the draft of the 1960s, but 3.3 million Americans have served since 9/11, and 2.7 million have been deployed, often on multiple tours to some rather awful places...

View attachment 452050

...this thread was supposed to be about amphibious operations and capabilities, right?
Except I am not the older generation I am 25 and I worked with kids my age in AIT and at my duty station. No mechanical skills at all. Simple tasks like rolling up a camouflage net or putting one up over a LMTV and a 777 are taking hours when they should be taking 5 minutes. Kids today come out of the womb with a cell phone the guys 50 years ago came out of the womb with a shovel.

·
Registered
8 Posts
With the state of the art in warfare today, I really do not think anyone will force a beach landing that is directly opposed ever again. Certainly not on the scale of Normandy or Saipan etc.

But I do wonder if we have the capability to transport troops from ship to shore, even unopposed, in any sea condition like they experienced on that June 6th in 1944. Can our equipment land troops and equipment through surf like that after plunging through rough water for several miles?

Could we put Stryker size vehicles into modern day Higgins style boats?

What is the state of our amphibious capability today?
Seems like you are falling into the same trap Armies have fallen into over and over again. Fighting a war using techniques used or learned from previous wars. Technological advances make that too costly in lives even if you have willing soldiers. No, I do not think that today's kids could do what was done in 1944. I hope that no General would come up with a plan today that would make it necessary.

·
Registered
3 Posts
In a word to the OPs questio: no. An acronym? NFW.

the can’t fix a flat tire generation will be conquered. Sadly, it’ll likely be with ceremony or battle and these newly minted snowflakes will gladly tow the line for a piece of brad and unlimited data.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I'm reminded of that great answer in "Hunt For Red October".

"Sure you can, but why would you want to?"

Storming the beach was our version of fighting WW1 during WW2. We had the thinking of trench warfare still in the bones of our command staff. Like all similar actions of such command thinking, it was a glorious day because we got lucky. It could have gone far, far worse.

Sending American Citizens into the meat grinder for no especially good reason is something many of us will never again tolerate. Oh, sure, there will be propaganda encouraging it. Lord knows there was propaganda THEN that continues to this day. But there's many more today that won't accept such things. I've designed far too many weapons systems to countenance such incompetence from glory-hound brass.

Beach assaults of that nature and magnitude have gone the way of the spear and the shield and for good reason. Tennyson might have glorified "The Charge of the Light Brigade" to the schoolboys of the last century, but their sons have since learned such rubbish is pointless.

·
Registered
53 Posts
70 years ago the Japanese Imperial War Council made an error in judgement when they decided to attack the USA. They were convinced the average American was lazy and unpatriotic. That America was too culturally diverse and that the vast mixture of ethnicities and nationalities could never be trained to fight together as a cohesive unit. And that America was a morally bankrupt culture. In about six months that gang of lazy, unpatriotic kids became what we now call "The Greatest Generation". At the outbreak of WWII, America was not a super power by any stretch, but she became the most powerful nation in the world in a very short time because of great leadership, hard work and patriotism. I think we could do it again but I pray to God we never find out.

·
Registered
33 Posts
With the state of the art in warfare today, I really do not think anyone will force a beach landing that is directly opposed ever again. Certainly not on the scale of Normandy or Saipan etc.

But I do wonder if we have the capability to transport troops from ship to shore, even unopposed, in any sea condition like they experienced on that June 6th in 1944. Can our equipment land troops and equipment through surf like that after plunging through rough water for several miles?

Could we put Stryker size vehicles into modern day Higgins style boats?

What is the state of our amphibious capability today?
IKE himself admitted he had made some serious mistakes on that invasion...He made a 2 hour film with a famous Newscaster to ask him questions... It was filmed about 1960'ish.... Sad - but actually personally admitted it for all to see and hear....

·
Registered
305 Posts
While it doesn't involve us per se, I think the next big D-Day style amphibious assault coupled with airborne drops will be Taiwan being invaded by the ChiComs. Then you will see what modern technology can or can't do with regards to that large-scale of an invasion.

·
Registered
23 Posts
This thread poses a good question, and I don't have an answer to it. For the longest time, I've had the opinion we would not be able to win a serious battle against a truly good mechanized force...but lately I've begun to change that opinion. If we had to draft ppl, we wouldn't be able to draft the less educated - with todays weaponry, we would have to draft quality ppl. I don't subscribe to the theory of just because someone has had a cush life with lot's of money, that they couldn't perform well under duress. In fact, I believe the more well to do may perform better actually. Ppl with means are healthier, and that's what is needed to endure harsh conditions. I think a rich man with education can sit in a wet fox hole as well as a poor and uneducated person. I think the bigger question is this...Would the American public and news media be able to handle the numbers of dead ? If we would draft quality ppl, I think we could win anything. I'm not sure we would draft the well to do and educated though.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I cannot look at the just out of school generation and see much to gamble a country on. I believe our best bet will be the country boys and the unspoiled, if there are any, from the rest of the country. College age kids are more likely to fight for the other side from what I have seen lately. Wouldn't write them all off of course, just very nervous about it. Not to mention future LE Officers, FBI, etc. Realize it's a bit off original topic, but the point is, if the current leadership allows our readiness to drop below current levels, and we do not make adjustments to require some military training as part of that free education everyone seems to demand, there won't be anyone behind the initial deployment.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
"The world is passing through troublous times. The young people of today think of nothing but themselves. They have no reverence for parents or old age. They are impatient of all restraint. They talk as if they knew everything, and what passes for wisdom with us is foolishness with them. As for the girls, they are forward, immodest and unladylike in speech, behavior and dress."
- Peter the Hermit in A.D. 1274 -

"I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words... When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly wise [disrespectful] and impatient of restraint".
- Hesiod, 8th century BC -

"The children now love luxury; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are tyrants, not servants of the households. They no longer rise when their elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize over their teachers."
- a summary of general complaints about the youth by the ancient Greeks, as written in a 1907 dissertation by a student, Kenneth John Freeman -

I think this generation will do okay . . . .

And if they don't, whose to blame?

'"Parents often talk about the younger generation as if they didn't have anything to do with it."
- Haim Ginott -

"Parents who wonder where the younger generation is going should remember where it came from."
- Sam Ewing -

·
Registered
98 Posts
All these young people want white collar jobs, Miami and California life style.
They don't see the pride in serving and not encouraged to. We don't just need number but we also need committed people.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Lysander... You have nailed this.. I remember my grandfather and g-grandaddy saying that my generation would not amount to anything... But we did ok except for the 60's flower children.... They are the ones that are causing me real heartburn.. The children of that generation are the ones that I feel we can't depend on... I hope I'm wrong...

Thank God, we still have good old country folks that will step up an do whats right for the country.. We have many a good solider in the last few years that has fought in the sandbox and Afghanistan, we should be proud of them..
When the chips are down, the USA will stand up an do what 's right, I pray..

Carry On!!

·
Premium Member
3,301 Posts
I think we could do something extraordinary but I shudder to think how bad of a predicament it would need to be that could unify everyone. Unify everyone to where we'd all rise above all the dumb 'woke' stuff, cancel culture, birthing person, extra pronouns, open borders, etc. you name it the dumb petty movements. When I say 'we' I mean those afflicted. Everyone else would I suspect be more dependable.

41 - 60 of 73 Posts