M14 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put together a 70th Anniversary D-Day tribute video and share some of the items that my grandparents used in the war as well as some other neat relics. I thought you guys might appreciate this.

- Bob

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdEfku9OIBI[/ame]

·
Super Moderator
3,399 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Beautiful collection you have there!

Very Nice Video -

A few weapons in my collection that would have been used on or near that day!

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is why I joined the U.S. Navy. I never saw a redhead like the one in the picture.
LOL! I have a soft spot for red heads and couldn't resist when deciding on some catchy artwork.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Here are some other original WW2 weapons to help celebrate D-Day. Cheers!

Edit: I added a bit of WW2 USMC related family history below.

Because of his age, my maternal uncle was not allowed to join the USMC until well after the sneak attack on Pearl Harbor. Being from New Orleans, he was working for Higgins Marine as an inspector. After joining the USMC & inbound to the beach at Iwo Jima on a Higgins boat, he took a look at the inspection plate to help keep his nerves in check. The inspection plate bore his initials; it was one of his. My dad's father, WW1 USMC from New Orleans, was also working for Higgins Marine. He had tried to re-enlist for WW2 but was told his job building PT boats was far more important to the war effort. Being a former Marine, he complied but this did not sit well with him. He was a very powerful man of few words and he wanted payback for Pearl Harbor. After victory in Europe was achieved, my grandfather was tasked with clandestinely building engine stands for secret testing of captured German rocket motors in New Orleans. I need to ask Marty Morgan for details on that one of these days.

U.S. M1918 Browning Machine Rifle (early BAR) .30 CAL. made by COLT in 1918.
My uncle carried a BAR much like this on the first wave landing at Iwo Jima with the USMC (2/28 IIRC). He affixed a carry handle grip to the wooden forend of his BAR.
The old man said the BAR was an invaluable weapon for the hedgerow warfare of the ETO because of its portability.

U.S. M1928A1 Thompson .45 ACP SMG made by Savage in January 1942:

MP40 9mm machine pistol made in Nazi Germany by ERMA in 1941: After escaping from the Germans, the old man carried an MP40 much like this one so it gets a pass today.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts