M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Never owned a 97B but I've handled them and they are BIG. It will make your Kimber 1911 seem like the skinny girl at the party. If you're looking for a DA/SA .45 don't forget the Sig P220 or HK USP - both quality guns that will not let you down.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, rite now I'm debating on another 1911, or the CZ. Big doesn't bother me unless it's in the desert eagle size. I've got pretty big hands.

I'll probably go with another 1911, probably a GI model this time.

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
Have owned both the CZ97B .45ACP and the Witness Target Model with 6 " barrel in .45ACP. They are both big pistols with the CZ97B a little heavier than the Witness. Accuracy was about the same but the Witness would feed truncated ball, 185 grain target bullets and hollow point ammo with no problems. CZ97B only feed 230 grain ball reliably. Also, some models of the Witness are available with adjustable match sights.

Main problem for me was the large grips of the pistols with my medium sized hands. When shooting one handed rapid fire strings during NRA Conventional Pistol Matches, the large grips would turn in my hand throwing the rounds across the target. During a match held in February with the temperature in the mid 30's, even slow fire was difficult due to the cold making it harder for me to keep a steady grip. Switched to a SA Inc 1911 which solved the problems with keeping a steady grip. If you have large hands, you might not have this problem.

Sold the CZ97B and the Witness and have two SA Inc 1911s. They are the basic model with Evolution Gun Works (EGW) drop-in match barrel bushings, Wilson Match Triggers and adjustable rear target and front match sights installed. They are very relaible and accurate pistols, glad I switched to the SA Inc 1911.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have a CZ Model 97B and concur with most of Tommo's evaluation.

The 97B is very large and famous (among 97B owners) for not feeding anything but hardball or round nosed profile bullets.

That said, I have been lucky with mine in that it will feed 200 grain SWC's and most HP's with 100% reliability.

I personally like the 97B, it's without a doubt the most accurate handgun that I own.

If you've already got a 1911, I would recommend you take another look at the 97B.

As previoulsly stated mine was amazingly accurate out of the box and feeds just about anything I run thru it.

Here's a few pics of mine.

It's an RSR special in electroless nickel (one of 60 made in that configuration)

Size comparison to CZ model 75

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Hi,
The CZ 97B is without a doubt one of the best bargains out there! It has a complete different feel when shooting it than a 1911 due to the configeration of the slide and frame and the length of the frame rails! You might want to go to the CZ Forum under the 97B header and look around!

·
Registered
551 Posts
I don't have it anymore but I have had one before and liked it. Some folks think the grip is too big, but I guess I just have "fat guy" hands, because it never bothered me. Then again, I never did think the grip on my old Desert Eagle .44mag was "too" big either, so take it for what it's worth... ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.