M14 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some advice. I am looking to get a barrel for the LRB Group Buy. This build is going to be for a light and short brush gun for hogs and fun. Ideally I would like to use the Vortex FH with the HVT lugs for my Quicksand. Unfortunately this mount only comes threaded in 5/8x24. Since I am interested in light and short, I would prefer to go without an adapter on this build and be able to thread the Vortex directly onto the barrel.

Is it possible to cut down a 22" barrel and have it threaded in 5/8x24? I seem to recall there was a reason for the standard M14 thread of .595" x32 and it was the GI barrel contour was too thin? Are modern non-GI barrels thick enough for the standard threading?

As long as its getting cut down, any length is possible. Anyone experiment with how short a barrel can be and still reliable cycle the rifle? Obviously SOCOM length is too short. 17"? 17.5"? 18" is fine by me, more curious than anything.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
The last inch or so at the muzzle is .595 to get the .595X32 threads. Moving up the barrel towards the chamber it narrows down to a smaller OD (can't remember off the top of my head) till it gets to the gas cylinder area. 5/8" is .625" so you're already about 1/32" under sized at the muzzle and probably close to 1/16" undersized behind it.

Best bet is to get an 18" barrel and see about having the muzzle reworked to suit your needs.

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
I have used standard contour USGI match barrels, non chrome lined, and shortened them to 18.5 inches. Then threaded them to 1/2x28 for M16 flash hiders with a modified HK G3 rifle sight attached to the rear part of the flash hider. Works great for an inexpensive but accurate bush length rifle.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It's been correctly stated that there's not enough barrel diameter for 5/8x24 threads. I had Moses at the FALFiles do the following to my Chinese M14 barrel:

-- Shorten it to 18"

-- Thread it 1/2x28

-- Ream an SEI AR15 (5.56) Vortex to pass a .308 projectile

I like the AR15 Vortex because it's a bit shorter and lighter than a .308 Vortex. If you still want 5/8x24 threads you can get a 1/2x28 to 5/8x24 adapter.

·
Registered
140 Posts
im new so please bear with me, but i was wondering why a gunsmith couldn't cut new splines (at least i think thats what they are called) and just use a regular m14 flash hider?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That makes good sense. My problem is the special SEI Vortex that has the HVT lugs for a Gemtech Quicksand suppressor only comes in 5/8 x 24. Guess I need to stick with an adapter. I have the Delta P Designs adapter for the same FH on my full sized rifle and its a great piece of kit. Was hoping to eliminate it on the bush rifle for weight/length reasons.....short of getting a full length heavy barrel and having it it profiled (which would defeat the light weight) guess I am SOL. Probably stick with the adapter in that case....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts