M14 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to cut the dovetail to install a original style front sight on a 24"krag barrel. Do I need a carbide cutter or would a high speed steel cutter do the job? Also, should the cutter be 45 degrees or 60 degrees? I made the sight so either degree will work just don't know what angle is best.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
I have no idea on a Krag rifle but traditionally most barrel sight dovetails are 60 degree. High speed steel will work fine.Usually the sight will have a slight lead on one side to ease installation. It should thumb push in to start and final seating with nylon drift and hammer to finish.You can also use a dovetail file ,by first cutting a square slot and file the angle sides to fit.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I build plastic injection molds for a living. The hardest part is getting a good set-up on the bridgeport. I was thinking of silver soldering it after its all fitted. I don't know if this is nessasary. I know the original sight was brazed but am afraid that applying that much heat might damage the barrel.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I looked on Brownells webdite. They list some low temp brazes but are out of stock on all of them. Pretty expensive though at $60.00 a bottle. Did not know there was such a thing, thanks for the imfo.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts