M14 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so my FFL called me yesterday and says that he finally tracked down a Ruger .454 SRH w/7.5 barrel and he bought it and it on the way...i was looking to buy an Alaskan but as we all know thats not likely to happen...

this is my plan: i want to cut it down to about 3.5" barrel, which will leave about an inch of barrel sticking out from the frame...then im thinking about threading the barrel so that i can attach some kind of compensator to help with muzzle flip and mount a new front site on the frame...
so what do you guys think..?? any advise or tips will be appreciated...

a link with similar project..: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=906046&highlight=alaskan

some images i found:

this one is a 3.5"

shorter with front sight on frame..

anyone do similar project...??

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
its an easy to do project. did one on a 44 super redhawk a few years ago, but with the barrel cut flush with the frame, which isnt necessarily adviseable as it complicates things a bit.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool, how dose it complicate things..going flush with the frame..? im not planning on going that short but just wondering..also how did you crown the barrel...45 degree, 11degree..? how did you remount the front sight..

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
when you cut the barrel flush with the frame, it no longer has a torque shoulder for the barrel to lock against the frame.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Any consideration as to having the exposed barrel Magna-Ported? I had my Freedom Arms .454 barrel Magna-Ported and it made a huge difference by way of recoil. Those Rugers look sharp. Todd

·
Banned
79 Posts
What do you plan to do with the front sight anyway?
The shock of the blast will kill anything near the general direction of the front of that thing.
Like holding a hand grenade when it goes off - - -

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any consideration as to having the exposed barrel Magna-Ported? I had my Freedom Arms .454 barrel Magna-Ported and it made a huge difference by way of recoil. Those Rugers look sharp. Todd
i thought about that....still not sure...im kind of leaning toward having it threaded and install a muzzle break..

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
oh my, a newbie with revolvers. i hope you do realize that the .454 is one of the most violent (to the shooter) revolvers going. the 500S&W with its brake and all the extra weight isnt in the same class.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What do you plan to do with the front sight anyway?
The shock of the blast will kill anything near the general direction of the front of that thing.
Like holding a hand grenade when it goes off - - -
dance2 haha thats what i was thinking when i was figuring out how to remount the front sight...i mean its going to be for protection in bear country...not sniping...i have a feeling that if i ever need it, it will be point and shoot vs having the time to actually aim...

i read an article about a guy shooting his revolver with no sights...just snap/point shooting...and saying how its good to practice without using your sights, because in high stress situations most people dont aim...its more of a reaction...im sure there is good and bad to that ...

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oh my, a newbie with revolvers. i hope you do realize that the .454 is one of the most violent (to the shooter) revolvers going. the 500S&W with its brake and all the extra weight isnt in the same class.
haha...i know, i know...ive shot .44 mags, and .500s...just never owned my own revolver...or modded one...but not a stranger to heavy recoil...i picked the .454 so i can also shoot .45 lc.....i would have gotten the .460....but its out of my budget right now...

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
i read an article about a guy shooting his revolver with no sights...just snap/point shooting...and saying how its good to practice without using your sights, because in high stress situations most people dont aim...its more of a reaction...im sure there is good and bad to that ...
Call me a wuss, but I can't see doing much practicing with a .454.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
actually its not too bad, i wouldn't want any less. im shooting 250gr Winchesters (1300 fps)...they are on the light side. i have some 260gr Win. (1800 fps), also some HSM 300gr (1800 fps) on the way...cant wait..!! these should have quite a bit more bang...!!

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Some places require at least 4" barrel to be legal for hunting. I don't believe you'd be in trouble using a shorter barrel in self defense, but if you had the opportunity to shoot a game animal in a hunting situation you'd have the option of using your handgun. Plus it'd give you more barrel to drill holes in. .44 mag with Buffalo Bore 340gr +p+ isn't for the weak hearted or limp wristed either.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
After my friend and I shot his 454 Ruger Super with those stock Ruger grips(the ones with the wood inserts) we decided what he actually needed was a rifle. Different grips might make a difference? His handloads were right at the 454 limit. Not for the faint of heart.....or hand!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i think here in Hawaii the legal barrel length for hunting is 5-4.5" i think...need to check. and yes, the Houge grips really help, way better than the slim wood insert ones.....

the 260gr and 300gr rounds that i got both doing 1800 fps...wow, i love it....but definitely a handful, its going to be hard to shoot lesser calibers and not feel like they are....well, just wimpy...

anyway the deer have been ganging out in the field in front of my house...cant wait to see how these rounds perform.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts