M14 Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Lake City runs computer controlled machines that make small arms ammo for Government contracts...ie, ammo for the troops. This ammo has to meet strict specs before it is sent to the field. If any lot fails to meet the stringent requirements for uniformity, the entire lot is scrapped. Some is pulled down and the components sold as surplus. Some is still very shootable and is safe to fire....rather than dis assemble these rounds they are sold on the surplus market to recover costs. That's why they are sold by the box or carton of 500 or 1000 rds....no need to link or put into 20 rd cartons and ammo cans.

I purchased several thousand rounds of LC .223 in 1000 rd cartons a few years ago and the stuff I got had green paint splotches everywhere. I guess the part of the process where the tip of the bullet is painted green wasn't calibrated quite right and green flecks were on the bullet and the brass as well as on the tip. The ammo looked like it had a mild case of green chicken pox. However, the ammo shoots great and the brass reloads just fine....also very accurate. I have had no issues with this ammo, so if I needed LC ammo, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

The problem is, it is now priced a bit high. There is surplus German, Maylasian and British .308 / 7.62 on the market that shoots just as well for less cost. The surplus ammo is not factory seconds and is packed better in boxes or stripper clips...and it is cheaper. The market will, as usual, sort this out in the end, but if the price is the same, the LC stuff is OK ammo.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.