M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Total new guy here, wondering about the quality of the Lake City 500 rnd. loose ammo that Cheaper Than Dirt sells foe about $350? Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks

Redraider

·
Registered
689 Posts
Lake City runs computer controlled machines that make small arms ammo for Government contracts...ie, ammo for the troops. This ammo has to meet strict specs before it is sent to the field. If any lot fails to meet the stringent requirements for uniformity, the entire lot is scrapped. Some is pulled down and the components sold as surplus. Some is still very shootable and is safe to fire....rather than dis assemble these rounds they are sold on the surplus market to recover costs. That's why they are sold by the box or carton of 500 or 1000 rds....no need to link or put into 20 rd cartons and ammo cans.

I purchased several thousand rounds of LC .223 in 1000 rd cartons a few years ago and the stuff I got had green paint splotches everywhere. I guess the part of the process where the tip of the bullet is painted green wasn't calibrated quite right and green flecks were on the bullet and the brass as well as on the tip. The ammo looked like it had a mild case of green chicken pox. However, the ammo shoots great and the brass reloads just fine....also very accurate. I have had no issues with this ammo, so if I needed LC ammo, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

The problem is, it is now priced a bit high. There is surplus German, Maylasian and British .308 / 7.62 on the market that shoots just as well for less cost. The surplus ammo is not factory seconds and is packed better in boxes or stripper clips...and it is cheaper. The market will, as usual, sort this out in the end, but if the price is the same, the LC stuff is OK ammo.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I called LC and spoke to them about XM80 which is the same ammo that Cheaper than Dirt sells. I purchased the same stuff through Palmetto State Armory for less and got mine in 20rnd boxes. $299 for 500 plus $12 shipping. It is megnetic, but it shoots fine. I was surprised at how well it actually shoots. According to them(ATK), it was just a millitary overun. There located in Missouri and opperate as ATK. If your curious here is the link.
http://www.atk.com/capabilities_defense/cs_as_fm_lcaap.asp

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
The problem is, it is now priced a bit high. There is surplus German, Maylasian and British .308 / 7.62 on the market that shoots just as well for less cost. The surplus ammo is not factory seconds and is packed better in boxes or stripper clips...and it is cheaper. The market will, as usual, sort this out in the end, but if the price is the same, the LC stuff is OK ammo.
I would tend to agree with that statement... my flavor of choice right now is Radway Green from SOG by the 750rd sealed case... 5rd strippers in bandoleers. The downside is it is not reloadable.

If you need reloadable brass, the LC wouldn't be a bad choice, just understand you will have to ream/swage the primer pocket crimp out after decapping.

I've found CTD to be METMEE (More Expensive Than Most Everyone Else) when it comes to ammo. They are not 10 minutes away from my house and I rarely buy ammo there.

Reactions: Redraider

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
I've found CTD to be METMEE (More Expensive Than Most Everyone Else) when it comes to ammo. They are not 10 minutes away from my house and I rarely buy ammo there.
And Not to Forget The Day of the Presidential Election as the day progressed there prices on anything Gun Related Started to increase.A panic was Created and they Fed that panic . Just My Humble Opinion here that they are less than reputable bottom feeders

·
Registered
111 Posts
And Not to Forget The Day of the Presidential Election as the day progressed there prices on anything Gun Related Started to increase.A panic was Created and they Fed that panic . Just My Humble Opinion here that they are less than reputable bottom feeders
LOL +1
I to live close to CTD and DO NOT BUY AMMO there, or really anything elese any more........

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.