M14 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Springfield Armory M1A Loaded with the medium weight nonstainless barrel. The former owner sent the receiver/barrel off to be cryogenically treated. My questions are:

1. Will that make the match barrel last longer?
2. Will it make the cast receiver strong as a forged receiver?

I know the answer to 1. is "probably" but I'm looking for any specific experience anybody has had, positive or negative.

Thanks!

·
Registered
947 Posts
1. No. Yes. (Take your pick.)

2. No.

Friend of mine runs a cryogenic treatment business (or did, I've not seen her in a couple of years). Her main customers are tool makers and engine builders.

Cryogenic treatment will prolong the life of machine cutting tools, but these don't compare in function to a rifle barrel. Same with racing engine blocks.

She does firearms mainly for bench rest shooters but for every case of increased accuracy you'll see one for decreased.

Often folks who spend lots of money on something are not inclined to publically state they wasted it :wink: .

-- Chuck

·
Registered
126 Posts
Cryo as I understand it relieves stresses build up during machining operations. It is similar to a tempering operation. Some say it makes a good barrel more consistent under sustained fire because when barrels with high residual stresses heat up, they change more. Personally, I don't know if I'm a believer or not. I've seen some really great successes on cutting tools, but then, the next customer might get nothing at all from the process. Very inconsistent from application to application.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.