M14 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I've been posting like crazy trying to decide what route to take. Looks like I'm going to use a Criterion Medium weight 1:11 chrome lined barrel. I know they are good. What kind of accuracy can I expect with factory match ammo?

Thanks

·
Registered
7,814 Posts
Criterion Acuuracy

Not counting other factors which can effect accuracy, new Criterion barrels can rival Krieger barrels in accuracy. If you doubt this, just give Krieger a call and they will confirm it.
My experience with Criterion barrels has shown them to be excellent. Right now, all of my personal collection of M14 rifles are equipped with Criterion barrels even though I have used Krieger barrels for many years.
Criterion has produced three different versions of medium weight barrels. First was the regular medium contour, similar to Kriegers. Second was a special Gi repro barrel which duplicated the original Saco-Lowell NM specs, and finally Jon Wolf's excellent medium match barrel.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not counting other factors which can effect accuracy, new Criterion barrels can rival Krieger barrels in accuracy. If you doubt this, just give Krieger a call and they will confirm it.
My experience with Criterion barrels has shown them to be excellent. Right now, all of my personal collection of M14 rifles are equipped with Criterion barrels even though I have used Krieger barrels for many years.
Criterion has produced three different versions of medium weight barrels. First was the regular medium contour, similar to Kriegers. Second was a special Gi repro barrel which duplicated the original Saco-Lowell NM specs, and finally Jon Wolf's excellent medium match barrel.
Thanks for you feedback. Looks like I'm going for a Criterion Heavy NM barrel!

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Ted gave great info on MW criterion barrels stateing how good they are, In your original post you stated you were looking for a MW barrel. And you then post you are going to get a HV weight citerion.

Were did that come from? did I miss something? ROOL1

·
Registered
80 Posts
medium weight barrel

I think heavy weight barrels are only good for bench shooting. They're much to heavy for any type of regular field carry. Criterion medium weight chrome lined barrels are an excellent product with great accuracy in a properly built M14 type rifle. I would like to see someone make what I call the ideal weight M14 barrel, somewhere between the standard and medium weight and chrome lined.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ted gave great info on MW criterion barrels stateing how good they are, In your original post you stated you were looking for a MW barrel. And you then post you are going to get a HV weight citerion.

Were did that come from? did I miss something? ROOL1
No, I have the option of buying a heavy criterion barrel. I shoot primarily off the bench so the extra weight is o.k. I realize I said medium, but I was informed after that there is the option for a Heavy. It will add some stability to the barrel with the extra weight and be great off the bench. Right?

·
Registered
7,814 Posts
Criterion Heavy Barrels

Heavy barrels are favored by many competition shooters. The extra weight helps with recoil and stabilizing the position.

Criterion produced a run of special heavy barrels for me in 2008. These are 1:10" twist and otherwise made to original GI NM specs. Note that they are marked TEB 9349847 11/08 3E CBI. The number is the military drawing number and TEB is, of course, my initials. They are also maked NM. If you get one of these, you'll know where it came from.

Because they are heavy barrels, they come with a special Krieger op rod guide. They have a Parkerized finish.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
No, I have the option of buying a heavy criterion barrel. I shoot primarily off the bench so the extra weight is o.k. I realize I said medium, but I was informed after that there is the option for a Heavy. It will add some stability to the barrel with the extra weight and be great off the bench. Right?
Definatley good for target shooting off the bench. Ted would not steer you wrong.

·
Registered
687 Posts
IIRC the Wolfe contour med wgt CL is nearly that of the hvy criterion?Sounds like NEARLY the wieght but with wieght where needed.Sounds to me an excellent choice for my TGT shooting needs/minimal weapon 'humping' @ my age/health.LOL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts