M14 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did not realize until just recently that Criterion makes barrels chambered in .308 for the '03 and '03A3. Has anyone rebarrelled either of these rifles with one of these barrels, or know someone who has? I'm wondering if any feeding issues occurred? I know there are no feeding issues with an M1 chambered in .308 but I'm curious about these '03 rifles in.308.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since the feed lips are machined into the receiver on the '03 and '03A3 I'm wondering if the shorter OAL of the cartridge presents any issues.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Since the feed lips are machined into the receiver on the '03 and '03A3 I'm wondering if the shorter OAL of the cartridge presents any issues.
I would wonder about that too. 03's are a bit touchy on feeding anyway if the wood inletting for the mag well isn't perfect. Plenty of internet chatter on that point and I've experienced it myself.

That said, make up 5 dummy rounds of 308 and give it a try in a standard 03. Nothing about the 30-06 chamber that should affect the feeding function.

·
Registered
6,939 Posts
03's touchy on feeding? Probably the smoothest easiest feeding rifle ever designed. I have never heard anyone complain about an 03 not feeding properly. News to me. Everyone I have ever owned was slick as greased snot.

·
Premium Member
15,244 Posts
I would wonder about that too. 03's are a bit touchy on feeding anyway if the wood inletting for the mag well isn't perfect. Plenty of internet chatter on that point and I've experienced it myself.

That said, make up 5 dummy rounds of 308 and give it a try in a standard 03. Nothing about the 30-06 chamber that should affect the feeding function.
Not a good idea, the .308 is larger case diameter at the shoulder than the 06 at that same length from the base.
Once the bolt is involved, it's pretty much a straight shot into the chamber.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Not a good idea, the .308 is larger case diameter at the shoulder than the 06 at that same length from the base.
Once the bolt is involved, it's pretty much a straight shot into the chamber.
My proposal was to simply determine if the round will feed well enough to get the point of the bullet into the chamber and the rim to slide under the extractor. No need to close the bolt for that. That said...I haven't tried it :)

·
Registered
464 Posts
I just cycled 15 dummy 308 Winchester cartridges from the magazine to the chamber through my 03-A3 without any issues. I varied the speed, with no difference experienced.

Having said that, a 308 Winchester 1903 is just wrong....

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
03's touchy on feeding? Probably the smoothest easiest feeding rifle ever designed. I have never heard anyone complain about an 03 not feeding properly. News to me. Everyone I have ever owned was slick as greased snot.
I wasn't really trying to describe "slickness" but rather actual failure to feed. Particularly with some aftermarket stocks the gap between the TG mag well and the bottom of the receiver are too big or uneven and feed issues result. Been there done that one.

Regarding the "slickness".... I think the No4 and the Krag win hands down! I will say that a double heat treat bolt and a later nickel steel receiver do result in a very nice bolt throw. my opinion only! We better buy a few and compare:)

·
Forum Jester
6,918 Posts
just don't use lead tip pointed bullets

·
Registered
10,545 Posts
Talking to old timers, years ago, it is my understanding that you need a shorter follower and a magazine block, either in the front or back. The cartridge bodies need to be even with each other. Feeding issues arise if some. 308 cartridges are to the rear of magazine and some slide forward under recoil. The original follower and spring aren't designed for that.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Not an 03 or A3, but all of my .308 Winchester M70s were post 64 type hunting rifles originally in .30-06. The first one I put the clip slot in with a dremel tool and a file. The others were machined by a retired IBM model shop machinist.

I had heavy .308 target barrels installed and I bedded the rifles into heavy match Cloward stocks. I used the standard M70 30-06 magazine boxes. I could run my cartridge overall length well beyond 2.8 inches. Here is the catch- I expanded the feed lips of the magazine boxes at the point where the .308 shoulder contacts the feed lips with the handle of a 4 ounce ballpeen hammer. Just slip the handle in there and turn it to the wider (front to rear) side.

To make it smooth to load from stripper clips and run perfectly, I deepened the stock to where the follower spring had less tension. Maybe 1/4 inch or so.

The old timer guy had a .308 03A3 made into NRA Match Rifle and used it as a back up. He shot it very well but I don't know if he did any modification for feeding. I THINK I remember that he used a Mauser follower.

I bet BobS on the CMP Forum would have experience or know what people did with their 03 and A3 rifles in .308.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts