M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I use a Lee factory crimp die. I crimp all my loads except some match ammo with out cannulars on the bullets. Chances are if you are slow firing and have enough neck tension there should be no problems. But in rapid fire you could have setback causing pressure problems. Or the bullet could move toward front pf mag causing a jam. Inconsistencies can be noticed as well as function problems so crimps are good to prevent some problems but too much can damage thin jacketed bullets so crimping only bullets with cannulars is reccomended. Yes I dont crimp for my bolt guns ever.l

·
Registered
14,795 Posts
No crimp needed on any M14 bullets. Cannelures are on FMJ rifle bullets as a cheap way of keeping the copper and lead together on impact. If they line up with the case mouth, it is a coincidence.

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
No crimp.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I recently tested some 5.56 loads with crimps. I started with a tight shooting load that usually grouped at 1.25 inches or less at 100 yards from a particular RRA AR.

I loaded 10 rounds with crimps and ten rounds without crimps. I used the Lee crimp die.

The ten rounds w/o crimps grouped at 1.1".

The ten rounds with the crimps expanded to a little less than 2 inches.

I was not using quality match bullets. I used FMJs with a crimp groove.

I will try again to make sure the results are consistent.

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
If the neck tension is such that it will hold the bullet in place during firing, a crimp is not required and may in fact be bad for accuracy. Neck tension can be improved by reducing the diameter of the expander ball thru polishing with fine emery cloth. Don't need to get carried away-a little goes a long way(makes it easier on the die and reloader effort is reduced slightly,too).

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
No crimp needed on any M14 bullets. Cannelures are on FMJ rifle bullets as a cheap way of keeping the copper and lead together on impact. If they line up with the case mouth, it is a coincidence.
The reason the military crimps is to ensure the bullet stays in place during rough handling and feeding, especially MGs.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I do not crimp for the Garand or M1A. For the 30 Carbine I use a taper crimp die but that really does not add to neck tension.

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
I use a slight taper crimp provided by my Dillon die. Not a roll crimp. I adjust it to meet the dimension for the diameter of the case mouth according to the data in my loading manuals. And in my opinion it's slight/not aggressive.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I use the Lee factory crimp die. i had a few jams where bullet was pushed back into case. I have used factory blemished bullets and I think i got some rare oddball out of spec bullets. It's like insurance for me....you don't need it until you get a weird skinny bullet.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.