M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a primer pocket crimp remover tool that I can put into a hand drill so that I can process large amounts of LC once fired brass.

I DON'T want to buy a $300.00, multi tool station, I just want the tool bit so I don't have to remove each crimp with "elbow grease" like I just finished doing on this batch of 500 cases.......Never again..

What are your re-loaders doing to remove the crimp????

Thanks in advance..

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I've never used the Dillon but, as you can see from above, it has a great reputation. If you're looking for a cheaper route, the RCBS crimp remover works fine if dealing with smaller quatities of brass. It fits into a single stage press. I've used it for removing crimps for batches up to 1k but it takes a lot of time (good for winter projects in the man-cave).

·
Registered
49 Posts
Before and After

I tried this just for the hell of it one day, with a router bit I bought at the junk tool store. I was surprised it worked so well, very easy to do, and only about 2 seconds on each piece of brass. And it makes a nice transition to the primer pocket too.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I use this.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdkA7vDeaes[/ame]

Works great, costs $30.

·
Registered
269 Posts
There are a couple of things you should know about the RCBS Primer Pocket Swager.

First of all, when you install the rod in the die, you need to make sure that it is straight after you tighten the jamnut. Just eyeball it and make sure it is in the center of the opening in the die. If it's not, loosen the jamnut, reposition, and tighten the nut again.

If it's off center, you will bend the rod.

The other thing is the case stripper. If your press has a ram larger than 1" in diameter, the stripper that comes with the kit won't work.

RCBS makes a larger case stripper, part # 09489, for the Big Max press. It will work for your oversize ram, and RCBS will ship it for free, if you call and ask.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have generally used an RCBS deburring /champhering tool mounted in a hand drill to take out the crimp but do not like the inconsistency associated with the method. I have an RCBS swaging die set but must not have been using it correctly. I see from the video that the die should be adjusted so that swaging occurs at the very end of the stroke. I suppose that gives the maximum power to the swaging process. I have not been doing that and will have to try readjusting my die in hope that I get it to give better results. I really should read instructions.

I will have to try a Dillon if I can't get my RCBS to do what I want it to do.

I started out over 45 years ago uncrimping military 30/06 brass for my 1903 Springfield and Garand using a Sears Philips screwdriver with some of the tip ground flat. That was primitive but did work.

·
Rest in Peace
2,058 Posts
I've used the RBCS kit on thousands of cases over the years, but it was never fun. I have to admit the Dillon video makes it look much easier - so easy it looks a little fake? Like maybe the brass has already been run through once before the video was shot? It can't be as easy as it looks there.

I know guys that use the chamfer tool in a drill, but that always looked inconsistent like Pomeroy mentioned. Maybe if you chucked the tool (or a chamfer router bit) into a drill press where you'd get consistent depth....(if your brass was already trimmed)....

I now use a special cutter made for that purpose that mounts in a Wilson trimmer. Much less oomph involved but it's still tedious when you process thousands of cases.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Before I got a Dillon Swager I used the Lyman primer pocket reamers. They used to come in a wooden handle and the tip unscrews and you could chuck it in a drill. The nice thing is it bottoms out in the primer pocket so you dont remove to much material. IMO gb2814, you are removing to much material around your primer pockets.

Lyman Primer pocker reamer

·
Registered
269 Posts
I've used the RBCS kit on thousands of cases over the years, but it was never fun.....
What could be easier?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyUxXYwqtlM[/ame]

·
Registered
49 Posts
Before I got a Dillon Swager I used the Lyman primer pocket reamers. They used to come in a wooden handle and the tip unscrews and you could chuck it in a drill. The nice thing is it bottoms out in the primer pocket so you dont remove to much material. IMO gb2814, you are removing to much material around your primer pockets.

Lyman Primer pocker reamer
You could be right, the ideal cutter might be a little sharper angle, something like 60deg or so. They have stayed tight so far, but I haven't loaded them beyond plinking level.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Dillon Swager
You get into a rhythm and fly through a Boat load of brass

1 - 20 of 35 Posts