M14 Forum banner

Crime on the island.

4221 Views 13 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  NYCSTRIPES
Looks lime one of the three dollar bills from fire island has gone crazy and jumped ship on his buddies. 4 people found dead along ocean parkway over the weekend.
Then I open the paper and hear about the home invasion in great neck. Not to mention the others that have taken place. I have a dog, a big dog but she is a ***** cat at heart. I am thinking about getting a coue of more dogs. One little alarm clock type that barks at everything and a argentine hunting dog. They are like Pitt Bulls on steroids. The wife knows how to lock and load but I don't think that matters. The dog would not stop attacking an intruder. I'm not at all affraid for myself but I am concerned for my wife and parents when I'm on the road. Everyone says it's not going to happen to me or in my neighborhood. I just don't think that's true anymore.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
1,376 Posts
It can happen anywhere. Home invasions that are not drug related are more likely in good neighborhoods. That's where folks have money and stuff. Dogs are good they make noise so there are no surprises. Just train them to get away when commanded so they don't get hit when you start shooting. My policy is "If you went to all the trouble to break into my home the least I can do is shoot you"

Reactions: NYCSTRIPES

· Registered
1,224 Posts
Frankly I am not surprised. There are plenty of screwed up/depressed areas on Long Island despite the very high property taxes. The powers that be made damn sure that near every nice neighborhood was a ghetto. Its one of the primary things that kept me in Queens.
I couldn't stand the thought of paying such high taxes and still have to drive through some of the bad areas near such nice neighborhoods.

I am patiently waiting to retire from the city and then move West.

· Registered
270 Posts
Breaks my heart to see you guys talking like that...I was born in Port Jeff (Mather Memorial, Class of '53) and lived thereabouts until 1986...sure do miss it and all the good things...no real crime that I ever saw or recall...dumb kids, yes, but bad crime like you describe, no...Dad is in the NYS Vets Home at Stony Brook, and I get back to visit he and Mom from time to time...wanted to move back about a year ago, but couldn't find a place I liked and could afford near the water, especially in light of the taxes...major ouch...how do you guys do it?

· Registered
270 Posts
Will do, Warren...used to shoot there in the late '60's...that and Calverton, which was more like the Wild West, as I recall...would particularly like to once I can complete my first 14...will need a good shakedown with folks who know more than I do, which isn't much and most of which I have forgotten since last I hefted one back in '72.

· Registered
608 Posts
and i thought RNC was bad, we just have suicides and people with no lives here, LOL

· Registered
2,638 Posts
We left the Island in 2005. I lived in Seaford for 58 yrs. we go back a couple of times a year to visit our Son in Bellmore. I cant believe the degradation of some of the nicer areas. Litter in the streets that used to be spotless, my taxes have gone from $9500/yr to $1200/yr. Now im living in a semi rural FLA. with the and my neck is getting redder every day.

· Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,651 Posts
Looks lime one of the three dollar bills from fire island has gone crazy and jumped ship on his buddies. 4 people found dead along ocean parkway over the weekend.
Then I open the paper and hear about the home invasion in great neck. Not to mention the others that have taken place. I have a dog, a big dog but she is a ***** cat at heart. I am thinking about getting a coue of more dogs. One little alarm clock type that barks at everything and a argentine hunting dog. They are like Pitt Bulls on steroids. The wife knows how to lock and load but I don't think that matters. The dog would not stop attacking an intruder. I'm not at all affraid for myself but I am concerned for my wife and parents when I'm on the road. Everyone says it's not going to happen to me or in my neighborhood. I just don't think that's true anymore.
Did I Miss The Memo ?

GI2

CAVman in WYoming

· Registered
1,224 Posts
Will do, Warren...used to shoot there in the late '60's...that and Calverton, which was more like the Wild West, as I recall...would particularly like to once I can complete my first 14...will need a good shakedown with folks who know more than I do, which isn't much and most of which I have forgotten since last I hefted one back in '72.
Come up in Mid April for the Small Arms Firing School at Peconic....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.