M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
The expensive one or the kit that adds on to the stool? The wheels on the add-on kit can be a bit small and difficult on rough ground.

·
Banned
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The cart not the stool. I had a shooting cart years ago that was built in FL, but I cant find the maker, I think it was a one man shop and it was a long time ago. I'm just putting out some fellers to hear everybodys thoughts on this cart.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I've somehow survived all these years with just larger wheels on a stool conversion kit.

·
Registered
823 Posts
This place..
http://www.schnellermanufacturing.com/

The early Creedmore kit had wheels about six inches in diameter. I found them useless when dragging the cart over some unpaved dirt paths back to the six hundred yard line. For reliably smooth surfaces, they work fine. It's hard to tell from their website photo but they might have increased the size.

Depends on the intended use. Five hundred of more just to use it a few times is a lot.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Amazon sells a Radio Flyer red wagon with siderails, pneumatic tires, tall suspension, and fold-under handle for about $115. I got mine at Wal Mart about 15 years ago, $65 then. Still meets my needs.

·
Registered
95 Posts
rugged gear.com. i just snagged a 4-gun cart(kart). way cheaper than creedmoor which is a freeking glorified dolly. and i have an alum dolly i paid a $100 for that would be better than creedmoors. the ruggedgear was $369 delivered(free shipping) holds 4-guns and a total weight capacity(listed by mfg.) is #100 pounds. 2-rifles 2 pads-ammo-rain coats-rain cover supplied-munchies water and cleaning gear we are set.

i am sure we will mod this in a way no others have. have welder will FAB!

on the to do list:

1) curb feelers

2) side pipes

3) black out chromey wheels to camo-flage for ninja ops

4) race steekers(stickers)

5) camo-flage umbrella rack(2)

6) inflator holder/green slime bottle

7) quick change spare tire rack(baja style)

all fun aside this thing is the shizz-ninny! going to the range/matches IN STYLE! we will SCARE THE HELL OUT OF THE COMPETITION or they will FALL OVER LAUGHING when we show up loaded for BEAR!

the other idea we had was using a 250# cabelas deer drag out of aluminum. these have only (2) wheels and were not real stable. either up or down no in btwn. would have involved wayy more aluminum welding /material/beer than we decided was worth it.

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
+1 on the Rugged Gear cart. I bought mine five or so years ago, and I tell you you will love it especially taking the trip down to the 200 yard line at Viale.

·
Registered
460 Posts
the other idea we had was using a 250# cabelas deer drag out of aluminum. these have only (2) wheels and were not real stable. either up or down no in btwn. would have involved wayy more aluminum welding /material/beer than we decided was worth it.
+1 that a deer cart does not work well. I thought it would be the ticket since it comes apart and would fit in my car trunk. What I forgot was it is dark parked outside Viale when you roll in early and getting the thing together was a pain. Also won't balance, stuff rubs the wheels etc. No good. Come to think of it the one time I tried to haul a deer with it I hated it for that also. Piece 'o junk. My friend gave me his "pier cart" used to haul your fishing stuff out on the pier to use at Perry last year. It worked great. Fit all my sons and my gear on it, but it does not come apart or fold down.

·
Registered
95 Posts
thats why we decided on rugged gears.com 4 gun cart. also the reason why we went with the 4-gun cart is we have the option if we know its a nice day to just put the rifles and gear in as its designed. but if weather bad we just leave them in the drag bags and stack them up, tie them in with a bungee cord and off we go. this thing with a little help modifying it, should be just fine for moving some loads around easily. i doubt i will ever even break it down and take the wheels off. just throw it in the p/u, and go to the range or wherever we go.

i just couldnt spend $500 bucks for a freeking glorified dolly with a chair and a rifle case.

i will admit the creedmoor service rifle chair is built like a stalin tank. it was $79 bucks or so in ACU camo. and it has a ton of pockets on it and is very well built. it is NOT some cheap chinese camp chair. creedmoor.com.

last match i snagged a fairly new (cant tell if it was used at all) creedmoor cordura shooting coat for a measly $150 bucks. went to their web site and built the exact same one and it was over $400 new. so i was really happy. i was looking for a used creedmoor cart , but didnt find a one used. not even searching the internet.

when we get this rugged gear cart together and loaded, will send some pics.

think about it..............if ya take 4-rifles to the range............thats a week of cleaning! LOL!

·
Registered
467 Posts
In '87 I spent the summer shootin' for Army, and had a leather sling on my stool. Mat got rolled around the scope and coat, laid over the top of the stool, and was then slung up and toted. Rifle was carried by the sling.

Now I'm an older bear, and maybe even a bit smarter. I've been working this winter on my new stool, with wheels, handles, rifle forks, extra bags, etc. Pretty nice, and best of all I'm in for way less than the cost of a dinner with my sweetie...

$19 used stool on eBay
$10 wheels at Harbor Freight
$20 aluminum axle & angle iron for the handle, cotter pins, & washers

The extra gear bag, all-thread rod, poly tubing, and other stuff was laying around in the garage... helps to be a scrounger GI6. Might find the wheels a bit small, but we'll see.

I'll post a couple of pics when I take them.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Ok... here goes.
Step by step for an Old School Stool with Wheels

Get a stool. They ain't cheap new. Look around. Be patient. Make your own using a Creedmore or Champions Choice (can't remember which actually sells them now) bag and bend your own aluminum

Put on wheels. I used 3/8" aluminum rod from Home Depot for the axle. All-thread would be a bad idea (expensive and tears up wheel bushings). Drill skinny holes for cotter pins, and get big washers for stand-off. I put on a couple of decorative & protective end caps - they just bang on. Regarding the wheels... bigger is better, as they roll more smoothly through the grass. Pneumatic isn't necessarily better, though. Get a flat and you'll see why. But, bigger is much more expensive, and since I drag the cart instead of pushing it, I'm going with these smaller 7" wheels from Harbor Freight for now. Try hitting up a small lawnmower repair shop... they might have them for cheap. It works better to put your wheels on the wide side, not the skinny side of your stool frame, for simple stability reasons.

Put on your handles. I unfortunately live in Megalopolis, DC. Lawnmower shops are non-existent, so when I started looking for handles, I couldn't find a good recyclable lawnmower handle anywhere... I eventually had to turn back to Home Depot where I got a couple of aluminum angle irons that are 36" long. I clamped them onto the skinny portion of the frame and drilled for the bolts with wing nuts that hold them into place. For the handle I happened to have a two-foot piece of 3/8" all thread, which I put on the top as a handle, using a locking nut on the outside and a regular nut on the inside. Since its all-thread and would be hard on the hands, I covered it with some 1/2" OD polyethylene tubing that I had laying around. It happened to have an ID of 3/8", so with a bit of oil on the threads and my sweetie's hairdryer to soften the plastic I was able to quickly cover the offensive threads in nice plastic tubing.

I put on two ea. 24" bungee straps to make sure stuff stays put. Simply goes from the back of the frame to the front. When not in use, they are conveniently 1" shorter than the distance up to the handle, so they stay there nicely.

The black bag in front was one I had laying around, too. I relocated the straps to make them fit on the outside of the seat top, and put cleaning gear, eye / ear protection, Ray Vin smoker DI2 and other junk in there.

I had some extra poly tubing, so I put it on the handle as a holder for a cleaning rod.

A second piece of 3/8" aluminum rod got cut in half, and each piece was bent into a U shape. Holes were drilled on one side, and corresponding holes went through the angle iron handles, making the rifle hooks. Those got covered with some closed cell tubing insulation that showed up in my front yard after a big windy day. The tape job that is keeping it on will soon be covered by a hand-sewn canvas cover, so sticky tape glue doesn't get on the rifle in the summer's heat.

The DAG battle pack you see is currently holding a CamelBack water container with hose.

Still not on the cart is an umbrella holder and I also need a cart rain cover (stowable in the side pocket, probably. Ammo and other heavy stuff goes in the main cargo bag.

The shooting mat is home made, and my shooting coat and sweatshirts get rolled up inside it.

The spotting scope is a 1950's vintage Bausch & Lomb Balscope Sr, with 20, 40, & 60 mm eyepieces. Just about the best you can get. It folds down into the Blackhawk scope cover nicely ($12 on eBay)

All told, this is a poor-man's cart, but should serve well for a few years. By then I'll get itchy again and will likely build some other monstrosity, but this will serve for now.

·
Registered
467 Posts
And the last couple of shots.

Hope these pics help you guys visualize what you can do with a stool and some tools and a bit of imagination... remember that about the only thing that won't fly is putting on a beer cooler... that has to stay back in your hut DI5

Good luck and good building.

·
Banned
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nice job!! I like it, looks easy to do, in my thinking I would like a bigger/ taller tire, but all in all looks great, i would like the beer cooler option installed DI5

1 - 20 of 32 Posts