M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im wondering who smith had in mind when he designed the crazy horse? was it something he built for civilians and the military found the crazy horse or did the military have design specs and the crazy horse came from those specs?

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
Neither, Ron Smith had the M14SE Crazy Horse design fully developed prior to 2004. In the spring of 2004, Major Kim Zimmerman of the U. S. Army 2nd Infantry Division (then stationed in South Korea) went to Leupold & Stevens, Inc. to buy some scopes for their M14 sniper rifles (XM21 and M14 NM models) for their pending deployment to Iraq. Leupold & Stevens, Inc. told them about Smith Enterprise, Inc. Things rapidly developed from there. Source: My personal discussions with Ron Smith on the M14SE Crazy Horse in late October, 2004.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Different said:
Neither, Ron Smith had the M14SE Crazy Horse design fully developed prior to 2004. In the spring of 2004, Major Kim Zimmerman of the U. S. Army 2nd Infantry Division (then stationed in South Korea) went to Leupold & Stevens, Inc. to buy some scopes for their M14 sniper rifles (XM21 and M14 NM models) for their pending deployment to Iraq. Leupold & Stevens, Inc. told them about Smith Enterprise, Inc. Things rapidly developed from there. Source: My personal discussions with Ron Smith on the M14SE Crazy Horse in late October, 2004.
=============
Different's recounting of the M14SE initiative is absolutely correct. I'm now supporting Army ops OCONUS and am very familiar with this particular program. I can also tell you that the 2ID DISCOM staff worked closely with SEI throughout this very high priority project. Also, the Department of the Army is also watching this unique acquisition program with keen interest as a possible Rapid Fielding Initiative (RFI) approach to the XM-110. Simultaneously other DoD organizations have expressed strong interest in the M14SE and the MK14 SEI derivative. Several units have in fact signed up for both versions of the weapon. The big story will be the major FMS projects now underway.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i just found this post i started awhile back it was to be a reply to another post. i cant remember what that post was about. this was a sarcastic question i thought to clearafy this for the two replys

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
OK, here's a question...

I see people selling "Crazy Horse" rifles in sage stocks, but that isn't part of the spec, is it? The CH rifles were full length M14s with special medium weight NM barrels, synthetic stocks, a specific model scope, melanited gas cylinders, chromed gas piston, gas cylinder lock front sights, direct connect vortex flash suppressor & a sound suppressor.

I'm sure I left a few specifics out, but a CH isn't an M14 in a sage stock with a few SE doodads installed, right?

·
Forever Remembered - RIP
3,750 Posts
It has been a while Quagmire, but I remember the hub bub when they came out & Ron was up to his ears in government contract work, mostly for the 2nd I.D.. I remember the original as you do for the most part. I think I remember it in GI stock chambered for the M118 special ball & rifled in a 1:10 twist. I thought they also put some in a 18.5" barrel, same chamber and twist. Time to brush up on the stuff I forgot not long ago GI6 .

·
Banned
3,070 Posts
Crazy Horse

Quagmire said:
OK, here's a question...

I see people selling "Crazy Horse" rifles in sage stocks, but that isn't part of the spec, is it? The CH rifles were full length M14s with special medium weight NM barrels, synthetic stocks, a specific model scope, melanited gas cylinders, chromed gas piston, gas cylinder lock front sights, direct connect vortex flash suppressor & a sound suppressor.

I'm sure I left a few specifics out, but a CH isn't an M14 in a sage stock with a few SE doodads installed, right?
For sure there are look-alikes and yes it is more than a few SE doodads installed - Much more...

As Different and BobbyLee stated the original, better known, more traditional looking Crazy Horse rifle is the M-14SE (SASS).

The lesser-known MK14 SEI is also a full-blown 18" Crazy Horse rifle in a SAGE stock.
My authentic Crazy Horse US Navy MK14 SEI is 99.9% complete and scheduled to ship out the end of this month.

Here it is...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.