M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my Dad an electronic coyote call for Christmas. Weather was cooperative so I begged him to open the gift early. It was a good choice. Long story short. We called in 2 coyotes at our first spot. 1 Coyote B-lined straight to the call while the other tried to circle and get down wind. I raised up when the coyote was bout 50 yards out. Squeezed the trigger...Dead coyote. The other coyote obviously got the heck out a dodge. Last glimpse he was about 200 yards out.

I thought I would share. Made my weekend.

·
Resident Rascal
13,353 Posts
My electronic call flopped. Which sound were you using?

Congrats on the dead coyote. I'd like to put several down at my place.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Electronic calls are amazing. Other predator calling is fast becoming a lost art. 200yds would be considered pretty close hereabouts. RNGR2

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
I want to get back into Coyote Shooting after I retire...when I can go out in the middle of the week instead of just Saturdays...
(that also gives a guy a better chance of avoiding the 60 MPH days!)
It's been a while for me...and now in WYoming we can use Suppressors!
So...I would enjoy hearing a discussion from coyote shooters as to the 'newest and best-est' callers and calls out there...because I know they really have improved greatly from the 'olden days'!
GI2

CAVman in WYoming

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Predator University or the old standby Fox Pro work.
My electronic call flopped. Which sound were you using?
Congrats on the dead coyote. I'd like to put several down at my place.
I'm guessing you were winded (most likely IMO), silhouetted, or they'd heard that one before.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I tried an electronic caller but found out that I just didn't like sitting there continuously listening to the sound of squealing rabbits and mice. I did kill 6 yotes this year though while deer hunting. Four with my 5R and two with my M1A. One of the M1A kills was 300yds and the other about 50. Those 168gr Amax's really put a hole in them.DI5

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
This is pretty funny, given I just installed a choke tube and a red dot sight on my dad's shotgun that were suppose to be Christmas presents. I am going to wrap up the empty package for him to open.

It looks like the ole .30 cal is a little rough on pelts. I might have to rethink using my bolt action .308 to hunt with given that I want to kill a bobcat to mount this year.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is pretty funny, given I just installed a choke tube and a red dot sight on my dad's shotgun that were suppose to be Christmas presents. I am going to wrap up the empty package for him to open.

It looks like the ole .30 cal is a little rough on pelts. I might have to rethink using my bolt action .308 to hunt with given that I want to kill a bobcat to mount this year.
American Eagle 168gr BTHP .308 was definitely rough on the pelt. However, I'm not saving pelts this season. I'm trying to "cleanse" the coyote population. We used the Primos Alpha Dogg Electronic Predator Call. I think it's great.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
I need one in south Carolina. coyotes kill 50 % of deer fauns here.
We are starting to wonder if bobcats have more of an impact on deer on our deer lease than originally thought. Two of my b-i-ls witnessed possible predatory behavior by bobcats directed at full grown deer this year.

The first incident was in September during early bow season. One b-i-l observed a doe come out of a trail near his stand, work across his food plot and leave out on a trail on the other side, five minutes latter a bobcat came out the same trail like it is trailing something and follows the exact same trail the doe took out of the field.

The second incident consisted of my other b-i-l witnessing a bobcat doing a full stalk on a bedded down doe.

I've always assumed that bobcats were a little on the small side to take down a full grown whitetail deer but based on those two observations they might very well be trying.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I have been casually looking at electronic calls for a while. I'm still not sure what to buy or what animal sound works best on the coyotes; treed kitten, dying mouse, dying rabbit, coyote pup??? Any advice you all have would be great.

We can hunt coyotes at night now in Kentucky, but you have to use a shotgun; sure wish I could use my suppressed AR with the DBAL-I2. Maybe I will try to put the DBAL on my shotgun?? I wonder how hard it will be to call coyotes into shotgun shooting range at night? Have any of you used a shotgun and if so, what shot sizes do you recommend; we can only use up to size T?

http://surfky.com/index.php/obituaries/local/muhlenberg/38916-wk-outdoors--new-regulations-state-night-hunting-for-coyotes-now-allowed

·
Resident Rascal
13,353 Posts
Predator University or the old standby Fox Pro work.

I'm guessing you were winded (most likely IMO), silhouetted, or they'd heard that one before.
I'm using a Fox Pro Wildfire with more sounds than I can remember.

I've been told once you use a sound they won't be tricked with the same sound again. Do any of y'all agree with that?

I won't disagree but the wind was pretty still. I've been in trees looking across a small pasture to the next tree line where I had the call.

As my brother says, a coyote is good at everything. RNGR4

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
I have been casually looking at electronic calls for a while. I'm still not sure what to buy or what animal sound works best on the coyotes; treed kitten, dying mouse, dying rabbit, coyote pup??? Any advice you all have would be great.

We can hunt coyotes at night now in Kentucky, but you have to use a shotgun; sure wish I could use my suppressed AR with the DBAL-I2. Maybe I will try to put the DBAL on my shotgun?? I wonder how hard it will be to call coyotes into shotgun shooting range at night? Have any of you used a shotgun and if so, what shot sizes do you recommend; we can only use up to size T?

http://surfky.com/index.php/obituaries/local/muhlenberg/38916-wk-outdoors--new-regulations-state-night-hunting-for-coyotes-now-allowed
They have lifted the shot size restriction. You can now use any sized shot you like to shoot fur-bearers in Kentucky. Most people I have seen on hunting forums are recommending going with #4 Buckshot for long distance shotgun kills on coyotes. See page 23 of this link for reference.

http://fw.ky.gov/pdf/1314fallhuntingguide.pdf

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
tmcfalls, I read page 23 and I am not sure the ability to use any shot size pertains to night hunting of coyotes. On the same page it says that hunting for coyotes is year around and daylight only with a note saying to "inquire about proposed changes". My understanding is that the season for night hunting for coyotes in Kentucky extends from February 1st through May 31st and there is supposedly a shot size limit for that season. Hopefully you are correct as #4 Buckshot would be much better than BB. I might have to call or email DFWR to get the correct information as every article I have googled had different info.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Dying cotton tail seems to work the best for us. It's our go to call.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts