M14 Forum banner

CoVid19 Policy Erodes Bill of Rights

7K views 62 replies 29 participants last post by  ManxumFoe 
#1 · (Edited)
Second Amendment rights have been under attack for decades . . .we all know that. But this past week the left made an end run that erodes every one of the first ten amendments and by extension every enumeratred right.

Many jurisdictions forbad religious gatherings this past week. This potentially affects all Jews, Christians and Moslems across the Nation. Wether you have a strong faith tradition or not, this affects us all. the first amendment is much more than Free Speech.

"The civil rights of none shall be abridged on account of religious belief or worship, nor shall any national religion be established, nor shall the full and equal rights of conscience be in any manner, or on any pretext, infringed. The people shall not be deprived or abridged of their right to speak, to write, or to publish their sentiments; and the freedom of the press, as one of the great bulwarks of liberty, shall be inviolable. The people shall not be restrained from peaceably assembling and consulting for their common good; nor from applying to the Legislature by petitions, or remonstrances, for redress of their grievances."

If a state governor, County official or mayor can shut down your church synagogue or mosc, they can shut down your newspaper, radio station or TV station.

See less See more
#42 ·
lol, echo chamber of ignorance in here.

ManxumFoe: "If a state governor, County official or mayor can shut down your church synagogue or mosc, they can shut down your newspaper, radio station or TV station"

Um, no snowflake. These are not the same.

I love how you have to take on the roll of the aggrieved and oppressed victim. No one is stopping any of you from praying or using social media to do so. Large public gatherings are a threat to public wellness. Man up.

#44 ·
Please re-read the text of the First Amendment (in the OP). It enumerates several rights. The right to worship is one of them. Another is the right to peaceably assemble. In the Jewish tradition, some acts of worship requires the physical presence of ten or more men, called 'A Minion" (spelling may be off). I am not familiar with religious practices in other faith traditions, but there are probably other examples.

The 1A also covers freedom of the press, which today has been taken to also include TV and radio. If the right to assemble can be suspended indefinably without involving the amending mechanisms of the constitution, any other of the amendments may also be summarily suspended by executive order or through the action of some minor official body.

Can a state governor or a city council suspend The Fifth Amendment so law enforcement can waterboard suspected gang members in an effort to stop drug smuggling or human trafficking?

Make no mistake: Thiis is a real threat to the fundamental structure of our government.

#43 ·
I saw part of Gov Cuomo's daily news conference this morning. Not sure if I heard correctly, but I believe he said something along the lines of not getting back to normal, but making the changes that couldn't make before. I can only imagine what changes he wants, but I only want to get back to where I was 6 months ago. I'd prefer what I had about 30 years ago, but I'll settle for 6 months. I figure some politicians will try to do as was said a few years ago, and "not let a crisis go to waste".

#46 ·
And here goes the Third Amendment: San Francisco may seize private property to house homeless and first responders.

The article talks about compensation and so on, but this is not the exercise of imminent domain. Of course this is not exactly quartering troops in private homes, but this is the type of thing The Third Amendment was designed to prevent.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/san-francisco-could-seize-headquarters-174122185.html

The Supreme Court will be busy next session and in the future too.

#52 ·
I keep going back to the fact that this doesn't cause a lot of harm to most people. I understand that people are dying from it, and I also believe that any death is tragic. For those that test positive in the U.S. , the death rate is about 5%, according to Johns Hopkins University. We keep being told that many more of us are infected, and have no symptoms. If that's true, then the fatality rate is much lower. That's also a risk I'm willing to take. I'd rather take my chances than sit home worrying about something that most likely won't cause me much harm. Most people who are killed by this virus have underlying conditions, we are told. I know that some young, healthy people have died. I also know that it seems like every year I see a story on the news where a young, healthy, high school or college athlete drops dead at a sports team practice. No one knows when their time is up, but when our Lord calls us home, we're going, virus or not.

#55 ·
For better or worse, I stood proud at the Idaho capitol yesterday with ~1300 fellow patriots. I was definitely not in harm's way or near enough to anyone to mingle up close. In fact, I think I was in more danger going to get groceries and the hardware store the other day than this rally. The speakers very clear stated they understood the dangers of the virus and that they couldn't see their elderly relatives because of it... they were not violating that guidance.

Many simply want the government (at any level) to stop picking winners and losers in terms of which businesses get to stay open, effectively choosing which families get further into debt and onto the government dole (or sadly, commit suicide because they feel they've failed their families).

I'm semi-retired, so am not overly affected by the stay-at-home "order". However, I don't like it one bit that there are many others deeply affected by this or that the government is telling me or anyone else whence we might go. That's why I went, and will continue to support the efforts to get this state open sooner rather than later.

The difference for me from past rallies with Idaho Second Amendment Alliance was that it was more than the usual graybeards like me. It was families. It was white-collar and blue-collar... all walks of life is what I saw. They are tired of it.

To have the reactions that I've seen on social media from many was pretty sad. I saw those who wish the virus on all the people that attended, getting IDs so that if they show up to a hospital they don't get treated, etc. (because outdoors at a rally was the *most likely* place they might have gotten the virus??). I had some real nice guy yelling at me out of his car that he hoped I caught the virus. I suspect most of the people, if they did catch it at this thing, wouldn't be out there complaining. They would deal with it if they caught it there or at the grocery store. They would do their best to recover... at home, just like everyone else.

#57 ·
Hawaii . . . paradise with check points.

My father came to the USA in 1935 when he was 17. He lived with an uncle. He (we) lost about half the family in Europe to The Holocaust. This business of road blocks and check points smacks of the run up to WW-II in the 1930s. Now there has been talk of people being required to have "Immunity Certificates" to travel.

"Are your papers in order?"

#58 · (Edited)
And its not just the Bill of Rights' first ten amendments that are under attack.

By closing so-called "non essential" businesses in some states, the repeal of the 18th Amendment (the 19th) was also summarily suspended. It took a major convulsion of society to get the 18th Amendment passed into law prohibitating the sale of alcohol, and another to get it repealed. Now a state or local official may abrogate the 18 amendment by executive order!

What has been left largely unsaid in this thread is that in the future, near or distant, some non-federal government body or perhaps just one official may decide, based on the precedents described in this thread, to suspend the Second Amendment for an indefinite period based on some definition of "the public good". Not long ago I would have thought this to be a far-fetched idea opposed by "They can't do that!" arguments. Now there is ample president for just that scenario.

#62 ·
Manufactured not to far from where I used to live. We had one of those in our operation along with a Trelan.

Governor Jenner expected to extend our stay at home orders into the middle of May today. State legislature planning a vote to curb her sorcery, but it likely to only be show vote.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.