M14 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
What kind of Crisis would it be if the Bill of Rights didn't get jack boot stomped? Each side takes turns constraining rights, that they figure only effect somebody on the other side.

It’s reasonable to assume that the vast majority of Americans process news and data, and calculate that self-quarantining, wearing masks, and social distancing make sense for themselves, their families, and the country. Free people act out of self-preservation, but they shouldn’t be coerced to act through the authoritarian whims of the state. Yet this is exactly what’s happening.
It makes sense for places like Washington, D.C., Virginia, and Maryland to ban large, avoidable gatherings. But it is an astonishing abuse of power to issue stay-at-home orders, enforced by criminal law, empowering police to harass and fine individuals for nothing more than taking a walk.
https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/04/coronavirus-authoritarianism-is-getting-out-of-hand/

·
Registered
331 Posts
Where I live in Michigan, our county does not have any confirmed cases of COVID 19, and there have been no new cases in the surrounding counties over the last week. To me it shows that in our area we are being responsible in our actions. However, that was not enough for our Governor - Detroit cannot seem to get it under control so the rest of the state must pay the price!

The Governor has determined what is "essential" and we are not allowed to purchase those items from a local store - we can order from someplace for delivery, but cannot grab while we are getting other "essentials" from the same store! She will not let Landscapers work even if they are the only one - in her words "these low wage workers will only pass on the virus at the gas pump."

Michigan is under Gestapo rule! Heil Whitmer!

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
.........from the National Review article, previously referenced:
Under what imperious conception of governance does Michigan governor Gretchen Whitmer believe it is within her power to unilaterally ban garden stores from selling fruit or vegetable plants and seeds? What business is it of Vermont or Howard County, Ind., to dictate that Walmart, Costco, or Target stop selling “non-essential” items, such as electronics or clothing? Vermont has 628 cases of coronavirus as of this writing. Is that the magic number authorizing the governor to ban people from buying seeds for their gardens?

·
Registered
169 Posts
previous posters mentioned the 1st, 2nd, and 5th amendments.

Don't forget the 4th, sometimes referred to as the illegal takings amendment...

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated..."

·
Registered
72 Posts
Jesus is my Lord and saviour. Saying that, we have rights given to us that come from God. Life, Liberty and the pursuit of happiness. All authority belongs to God, and that authority is delegated to governments. Most governments abuse the God given rights of its citizens and have no right to do that. But many people will be (lemmings) and give away their rights for what some talking head says, "It's for your safety and security." Case in point, abortion! God has given that child a life that man has no right to take, they can't speak for their right to live, they are suppose to be in the safest place inside of their mothers womb. How many countless soldiers lives have been given to protect the innocent (unborn, youth, or adult) in this country and others, only to have outspoken Communists elected in our government that lie to all about a glorious utopia if we will bow down and let them run our lives. The all are in need of a history lesson of how many innocent lives were taken by Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, A well known actress (sitting behind a communist AA gun, for political reasons) Maosedung, the list goes on. Myself and my family will bow to no earthly man. I bet if you asked Acasio Cortez who Dr Joseph Mengele was and gave her a hint he worked for the Nazis, she couldn't tell you what he did. She would probably say you were racist against Germans. Kinda strange gun sales for first time gun buyers skyrocketed with this virus. Wonder how many of those were anti gun prior to Covid-19? I apologize for soap boxing it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Old Salt is correct, Covid-19 is serious.

So, all of you who want to take the chance and infect your spouse and children, go ahead and go out and mingle with a couple dozen or hundred people.
But do not start bitching when your family- and their lives- are on the line.

·
Registered
285 Posts
covid 19 is insidious, like a democrat , most people will never know they have or have had it,a small percent get sick like the flu and some it kills; it is not the 1918 spanish flu or thousands would die every day bodies would pile up so fast they could not burn or bury them as fast as they rotted. the world population would drop back to two to three billion this is more fear of something that has defied study since first varieties appeared in the late 70s

·
Registered
72 Posts
I am uneasy reading conspiracy-theory type posts with legal opinions that are based on very little solid evidence and lots of conjecture. Not because I trust the government or am at peace with the march toward liberalism but because it/they divert attention away from the obvious.

The obvious is this: there is an epidemic, it is serious, it is highly contagious, none of the social-distancing, "lock-down" orders seem to me very unreasonable. The worst for my family was not being able to go to church services during the most solemn part of the year. I'm not going to war with the civil authorities over a suggestion (and that's what it is) that I stay home for religious gatherings and off the public bike trails. I don't like it but between that and needlessly exposing a child to serious illness there
is just no rational argument.

This crisis -- and that's what it is -- is not anybody's "fault." Unless of course it is all a Chinese plot and the virus originated in a lab and we're all sunk anyhow. I don't buy it.

On the other hand, our boy Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus -- chief witch doctor over at the WHO -- is NOT an MD. Think about that one fact for a second! He has a Ph.D. in "community health." Kind of reminds me of that great U.S. president who was a "community organizer." Take a look Ghebreyesus's Wiki page: he's a communist. His political affiliation is the Tigray People's Liberation Front. Take a look at its Wiki page. Keep in mind the first week of February, he said there was no need to "unnecessarily interfere with international travel and trade" like travel restrictions. That sort of obvious stupidity makes him and those like him, e.g., Nancy Pelosi, vulnerable.

Now is not the time for constitutionalists to act stupid and fall apart over bozo preachers who are willing to sacrifice children's health to grandstand the First Amendment. It is the time to remember we are in an election year during which gun rights are very much front and center.

Why fight a no-win diversion? Doesn't make sense to me.

"Don't fire until you see the whites of their eyes" is just another way of saying do not needlessly expose your position and do not waste ammunition. "Ammunition" in this context is credibility and political power.

·
Civilian Non-Combatant
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
Old Salt is correct, Covid-19 is serious.

So, all of you who want to take the chance and infect your spouse and children, go ahead and go out and mingle with a couple dozen or hundred people.
But do not start bitching when your family- and their lives- are on the line.

I agree that it is prudent to self-isolate or distance ourselves at this time.

Yet the point I am trying to bring forward is that state and local authorities are prohibited, explicitly prohibited, from mandating that we do so. We have the right to make bad decisions.

Now The Third Amendment prohibits quartering troops in your home, "except as provided for by law in time of war." There are no such back-doors in the First, Second, Fourth or fifth amendments. The language is pretty simple, direct and, as I said, explicit.

It is my view that civil authorities at every level may provide guidance or recommendations and otherwise attempt to convince the public to observe safe practices in every day life, but no administrative body can suspend the Bill of Rights by a show of hands or executive order.

Most of us, perhaps 99.9 % of us, will live through this health crisis. I am worried that The Constitution will not.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If you've never watched the movie "V for Vendetta", you should. Lots of quotes in there about the media only reporting what certain govmint factions tell them and why the unwashed masses need to believe they "need" the govmint. Like "1984" it started off as fiction. It's a whole lot closer to reality than we want to admit.
Remember, remember, the 5th of November
The gunpowder treason and plot.
I know of no reason why the Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot.

Interesting story, and true (I think).

https://youtu.be/chqi8m4CEEY

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
What is stopping The People from opening up THEIR country? This is a serious question.

Will Gov. Bimbomer of MI threaten to shut off the power and water? I would double dog dare her to. Utilities companies wouldn't follow through even if she ordered them to. What would she do next? Sic the National Guard on businesses?

Maybe that is what is needed next. At least it would expose these people for who they really are. Tyrants.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Gentlemen, I've said for many years that Fascism wasn't defeated in Europe in 1945. It just moved west.
It's been said, among honest historians, that Der Fuhrer copied a lot of what FDR had done. I know, honest historians is frequently an oxymoron.

·
Civilian Non-Combatant
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Remember, remember, the 5th of November
The gunpowder treason and plot.
I know of no reason why the Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot.

Interesting story, and true (I think).
I have a vague recollection that this verse refers to the Guy Faulks plot to blow up the English parliament in the 1600s.

I could be wrong.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts