M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Civilian Non-Combatant
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Second Amendment rights have been under attack for decades . . .we all know that. But this past week the left made an end run that erodes every one of the first ten amendments and by extension every enumeratred right.

Many jurisdictions forbad religious gatherings this past week. This potentially affects all Jews, Christians and Moslems across the Nation. Wether you have a strong faith tradition or not, this affects us all. the first amendment is much more than Free Speech.

"The civil rights of none shall be abridged on account of religious belief or worship, nor shall any national religion be established, nor shall the full and equal rights of conscience be in any manner, or on any pretext, infringed. The people shall not be deprived or abridged of their right to speak, to write, or to publish their sentiments; and the freedom of the press, as one of the great bulwarks of liberty, shall be inviolable. The people shall not be restrained from peaceably assembling and consulting for their common good; nor from applying to the Legislature by petitions, or remonstrances, for redress of their grievances."

If a state governor, County official or mayor can shut down your church synagogue or mosc, they can shut down your newspaper, radio station or TV station.

·
Civilian Non-Combatant
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
think about the above for a bit, then go on to the amendment that everyone skips over as irrelivant today; the Third Amendment forbidding the government from housing troops in your house. In this pandemic psycology, someone might decide to take over your property to house the national guard sent out to help with the pandemic.

Sound far-fetched? In California, they are housing the homeless in hotels to get them off the street.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Everyone should be concerned about how easily many of our citizens have gladly given up their rights. Keep in mind that some experts are saying this will end up being no worse that the flu was in years past. How much will people be willing to give up if something truly serious hits.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Hi,
The Dims/Left want to get rid of the Constitution completely not just parts of it and replace it with Communism...

Of course they will be the Elite (Senators) high above the Unwashed Masses (you and me!)

The Muslims want to get rid of it and enact Sharia Law (Praise Allah!)

The Chinese are in the wings, trying to figure when to take the Country completely over themselves...

So a lot to defend against and this will happen quickly at a certain tipping point!

Time to smell the coffee and stand!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Second Amendment rights have been under attack for decades . . .we all know that. But this past week the left made an end run that erodes every one of the first ten amendments and by extension every enumeratred right.

Many jurisdictions forbad religious gatherings this past week. This potentially affects all Jews, Christians and Moslems across the Nation. Wether you have a strong faith tradition or not, this affects us all. the first amendment is much more than Free Speech.

"The civil rights of none shall be abridged on account of religious belief or worship, nor shall any national religion be established, nor shall the full and equal rights of conscience be in any manner, or on any pretext, infringed. The people shall not be deprived or abridged of their right to speak, to write, or to publish their sentiments; and the freedom of the press, as one of the great bulwarks of liberty, shall be inviolable. The people shall not be restrained from peaceably assembling and consulting for their common good; nor from applying to the Legislature by petitions, or remonstrances, for redress of their grievances."

If a state governor, County official or mayor can shut down your church sunagog or mosk, they can shut down your newspaper, radio station or TV station.

If TV disappeared tomorrow, that’d be fine with me. None of the media sources are going anywhere. Both sides of the aisle like to use them as mouthpieces.

·
Registered
431 Posts
If you've never watched the movie "V for Vendetta", you should. Lots of quotes in there about the media only reporting what certain govmint factions tell them and why the unwashed masses need to believe they "need" the govmint. Like "1984" it started off as fiction. It's a whole lot closer to reality than we want to admit.

·
Civilian Non-Combatant
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If TV disappeared tomorrow, that’d be fine with me. None of the media sources are going anywhere. Both sides of the aisle like to use them as mouthpieces.
Whether you want to watch TV or not is not the point. The point is that your ability to choose may be taken away without debate. This is a freedom of the press issue. . . .which is a fundamental issue for a free society. Another First amendment issue is the right to peacefully assemble; Church, theater, sports or just a picnic in the park with extended family have all been outright forbidden in many jurisdictions this month.

All these things happen everyday in communist China. . . .now it is happening here in the USA.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I think the whole thing has been over blown from the get go . No doubt there is a highly contagious Virus out there , there always is , but both sides have been playing it up , makes good copy for the evening news .

To do this to us & our Economy may have helped isolate or slow the spread & may have been the right thing to do , but far too many State/local Governments over stepped their authority big time .

I think anyone coming Ito their Country should all be quarantined for a min. of 15 days & monitored , no matter who or where you have been, Vacation or what ever , Period ! Enter Illegally , arrested on the spot & put back across our Border where they came from, not the Country they originated , come back across & you do time in a secure isolation cell for 30 days & then sent back !

If we want this to never happen again , we need to buckle up .

TV is not the Press , its entertainment !

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Whether you want to watch TV or not is not the point. The point is that your ability to choose may be taken away without debate. This is a freedom of the press issue. . . .which is a fundamental issue for a free society. Another First amendment issue is the right to peacefully assemble; Church, theater, sports or just a picnic in the park with extended family have all been outright forbidden in many jurisdictions this month.

All these things happen everyday in communist China. . . .now it is happening here in the USA.
I understand your point perfectly. I however, do not feel we live in or are being treated like China.

I have a 13 year old daughter and a pregnant wife at home. My in-laws, who are older, also live in town. Should I go to church, theaters, etc. to exercise my freedoms and say the hell with it...because I’m an American? Then, visit with my family afterwords like there isn’t a problem? Or, should I stay at home, distance, and error on the side of caution. I’m choosing the latter. I’d like to keep my “at risk” family around.

These are difficult times indeed. I’m more concerned with the blue states closing gun stores than any of the 1st amendment issues you listed above. If the gov’t said you cannot practice religion at all, I would be more inclined to agree with you. My in-laws attended church online yesterday. Seemed to be just fine. The gov’t didn’t intervene. And...nobody from my family got sick. They’re die hard republicans and didn’t think twice about they’re freedoms getting stripped.

I hate the news. It’s hard to believe anything that’s broadcasted out there. Because of these strange times, I’m forced to watch/read the news again to be...informed. I did see an article this weekend that the DOJ is looking into local and state gov’ts that are overreaching on religion.
http://www.wcsjnews.com/news/national/doj-to-probe-restrictions-placed-on-religious-gatherings-to-curb-coronavirus/article_d0982cbc-94b8-5d6b-8f38-f3aa7377975c.html
This wasn’t the exact article I read, but it basically states the same thing.

There was a death on the Teddy Roosevelt. Here’s an example of people who have to be in close quarters on a daily basis. Guess what, COVID is spreading around the ship and and now there is a dead sailor.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/sailor-from-uss-theodore-roosevelt-dies-from-covid-19-11586783549

So I’ll ask you, why are we being told not to congregate? If it’s simply to strip our freedoms, then we’ll have to simply agree to disagree.

·
Civilian Non-Combatant
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I understand your point perfectly. I however, do not feel we live in or are being treated like China.

I have a 13 year old daughter and a pregnant wife at home. My in-laws, who are older, also live in town. Should I go to church, theaters, etc. to exercise my freedoms and say the hell with it...because I’m an American? Then, visit with my family afterwords like there isn’t a problem? Or, should I stay at home, distance, and error on the side of caution. I’m choosing the latter. I’d like to keep my “at risk” family around.

These are difficult times indeed. I’m more concerned with the blue states closing gun stores than any of the 1st amendment issues you listed above. If the gov’t said you cannot practice religion at all, I would be more inclined to agree with you. My in-laws attended church online yesterday. Seemed to be just fine. The gov’t didn’t intervene. And...nobody from my family got sick. They’re die hard republicans and didn’t think twice about they’re freedoms getting stripped.

I hate the news. It’s hard to believe anything that’s broadcasted out there. Because of these strange times, I’m forced to watch/read the news again to be...informed. I did see an article this weekend that the DOJ is looking into local and state gov’ts that are overreaching on religion.
http://www.wcsjnews.com/news/national/doj-to-probe-restrictions-placed-on-religious-gatherings-to-curb-coronavirus/article_d0982cbc-94b8-5d6b-8f38-f3aa7377975c.html
This wasn’t the exact article I read, but it basically states the same thing.

There was a death on the Teddy Roosevelt. Here’s an example of people who have to be in close quarters on a daily basis. Guess what, COVID is spreading around the ship and and now there is a dead sailor.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/sailor-from-uss-theodore-roosevelt-dies-from-covid-19-11586783549

So I’ll ask you, why are we being told not to congregate? If it’s simply to strip our freedoms, then we’ll have to simply agree to disagree.

It is exactly your freedom to choose that has been usurped. Our son is pastor of a church here in Texas. Back before the formal stay home orders went out, his congregation went into virtual services mode via live-stream and FaceBook. . .because it made sense to do so, not because some politician made it mandatory in a reflexive CYA policy.

If "they" can usurp the First Amendment by executive order, they can suspend our rights under the Fith Amendment just by "their" say-so.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
It is exactly your freedom to choose that has been usurped. Our son is pastor of a church here in Texas. Back before the formal stay home orders went out, his congregation went into virtual services mode via live-stream and FaceBook. . .because it made sense to do so, not because some politician made it mandatory in a reflexive CYA policy.

If "they" can usurp the First Amendment by executive order, they can suspend our rights under the Fith Amendment just by "their" say-so.
Ok, your rights have been stripped from you. Now what? What are you going to do to resolve the issue?

·
Registered
Save the Country - Vote Libertarian
146 Posts
It's amazing the gov't even needs to tell churches not to have in-person services. But, even when they're 100% correct, I don't like the gov't telling the citizenry how to live their lives. Unfortunately in these times just 1 person living their lives as they choose can result in thousands more being sick and possibly dying

·
Civilian Non-Combatant
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, your rights have been stripped from you. Now what? What are you going to do to resolve the issue?
And you are right. complaining alone is not productive.

In Tennessee there were a number of people fined $500 for attending a drive-up Easter service in the parking lot. Unfortunately, you may be able to beat the rap, but you can't beat the ride. I am thinking that this will make it to SCOTUS.

In "the good old days" this would have been a natural for the ACLU. Today I am hoping there is someone like The Heritage Foundation . . .or someone else that will.

This is way more than just an anti-Christian thing. It is wider than a Second Amendment RKBA thing.

·
Registered
177 Posts
, your rights have been stripped from you. Now what? What are you going to do to resolve the issue?
(insert sound of soap box dragged center stage here)

The Bill of Rights, well, actually the entire Constitution, is nothing but old tp unless people are willing to defend it. A Kansas judge denied an injunction that would have allowed church services. You hold your services and defend your right to do so when they come to shut it down, otherwise everything else is just so much feel good chatter. Look at how quickly the sheep began spouting "social distancing", measuring how far away from the enxt person they are, its for the greater good our overlord shut down all the stores except those they decreed "essential".

Whats it ultimately going to take to defend the constitution as written? My guess is, its a whole lot more than most people are willing to put forth.

(soap box away)

Bill

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
And you are right. complaining alone is not productive.

In Tennessee there were a number of people fined $500 for attending a drive-up Easter service in the parking lot. Unfortunately, you may be able to beat the rap, but you can't beat the ride. I am thinking that this will make it to SCOTUS.

In "the good old days" this would have been a natural for the ACLU. Today I am hoping there is someone like The Heritage Foundation . . .or someone else that will.

This is way more than just an anti-Christian thing. It is wider than a Second Amendment RKBA thing.
Agreed. Unfortunately, we have to depend on lobby groups to do our work for us. Or, write your representative and hope a staffer passes it on.

I’m hoping these are temporary “sacrifices.” But...preparing for the worst I suppose.

·
Civilian Non-Combatant
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Defending The Constitution?

Well . . .this IS an electrion year.

I use a few strategies when deciding how I will vote or who I will vot for.

One overriding priority is who will the presidential candidate nominate for any open Supreme Court seats? Same goes for State governor candidates.

Another way to look at the ballot is not so much who or what to vote FOR, but who or what to vote AGAINST.

If I were voting in Tennessee, I would be looking at those responsible for taking legal action against the Easter worshipers.

·
Read Only
116 Posts
The stay-at-home orders are open ended-- no idea as to when we'll be allowed to move around at will. Our orders are now extended out to the middle of May. People are showing signs of Cabin Fever and are starting to venture out. Three big house parties in my neighborhood in the last two week-ends means we're playing right into their hand and giving politicians the perfect excuse to clamp down tighter with even more restrictions.
People have already been cited and fined in some parts of the southern end of the state for not wearing a mask anytime they're outdoors, or for gathering in groups and not maintaining 'social distancing'.

We enjoy a lot more freedom to move within the US than other countries' citizens. I'm sure some would love to have more control over a "free range" population.
With no vaccine or treatments currently out there, we're hearing that the coronavirus will be back next flu season and that we're likely see a repeat of what we're going through tight now.
Some say we're being 'conditioned', trained to go to our cubicle without question whenever the bell rings.

Several mayors, at the governor's encouragement, have ordered gun and ammo sales stopped and gun stores closed. And in the very same breath, ordered the release of "low risk" prisoners from jails.
Let's see, a fair numbers of criminals out on the streets and no way to protect ourselves. Am I missing something (like common sense) in this equation?
The 2nd Amendment gives citizens the right the keep and bear arms--
you just can't buy one.

·
Civilian Non-Combatant
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Ok, and now with tongue-in-cheek I say:

Why can't we isolate the infected citizens in all those FEMA detention camps we heard about after Hurricane Katrina?

Please people:

SOME FOLKS DIDN'T GET THAT THIS POST IS A FEBLE ATTEMPT AT HUMOR.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts