M14 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These things have always seemed to me to be cute little plinkers Bill and I was curious to know your opinion on what you feel is the maximum effective range for these little jewels.

I have also seen a lot of these old timers that have frequently had jamming problems and the majority of this problem (from what I have observed) was always mostly due to the fact that the mags seemed awfully lose for some reason. Did they have weak mag catches or something that would cause this. I had a friend who had this problem and if you pushed or pulled (cant remember which offhand) one way or anther on the mag while firing then it would run like a champ. Take your hand off the mag and it would'nt last but three rounds or so before it would jam again. Are the mags pretty much standard and interchangeable with the various Carbine models & manufacturers? What I am trying to ask here is something like the FAL mags with the Metric and Inch patterns.

TIA ...

Six

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Six: There were a variety of Magazine Catch designs. If you are not restoring make sure you use the ones illustrated as C or D. You can get away with the one illustrated as B, but then 30 round magazines will be a problem. It is possible your friend's carbine has a bad magazine, catch, or some other problem. Mag catches and the retaining springs are cheap enough to try a substitution process.

As far as the maximimum effective range I never go by what the military publishes. As you know in military speak they talk about creating a casualty. With this in mind many people took carbines out to hunt deer only to cause an cruel slow death. Remember the carbine cartridge is only a handgun cartridge, slightly more powerful then the .357 magnum. Keep the hunting at handgun distances and you are fine.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank Ya Sir ... :wink:

I like the pic ya posted here showing the differences ... Very thorough! Tanx Again!

Six

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
Bill, when did they come out with the flip safety on the carbines. Mine has the push safety on it and it looks like the flip safety would work easier. My carbine is 100% IBM in the 85xxxx range....did they make a IBM marked flip safety?

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
The flip safety was on production guns only on very late Winchesters and Inlands. With the carbine all other producers' contracts were cancelled around mid 1944 except WRA and Inland. As the M2 project got underway in late 1944/early 45 the flip safety was on some Inlands. It appears it took longer for WRA to get it into production. The safety was officially adopted (paperwork) around March/April 1945 but I am sure they were on production guns before that.

No the only way a flip safety would be on an IBM is if it was added after production. The flip safety was adopted because too many GI were pushing the mag release by mistake.

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
Thanks Bill, I guess I'd better leave well enough alone then in order to keep it all the same. Sure makes sense to have the flip safwety as the mag catch and safety are so close together. Thanks again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts