M14 Forum banner

Could use some help with EBR install

3305 Views 16 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  3/6Teufelhunden
Alright, so I got an EBR (Mod 1 for standard weight barrels) stock, and the install is going great, and I get everything together and in the instructions it says to install the 3 button head set screws on the op-rod guide block. Here's my issue: there is only one place on the guide block that was sent with mine for a set screw, and it's on the bottom. After browsing through the EBR picture thread, I see everyone has 2 other set screws on the 3 and 9 o'clock positions on their guide blocks. All I have at those positions is a hole for the pin. Also, the instructions say that the barrel should be free floating from the guide block onward....my guide block's barrel opening is MUCH larger in diameter than the barrel itself. So, did I misinterpret the instructions, or do I have a part that I shouldn't?

The rifle in question is a Polytech with a standard weight barrel. After looking at all the pictures of EBR's in the picture forum, I'm beginning to think that maybe this op-rod guide block is for a heavy barrel?

Here's some better pics of the block, I took it out of the stock and rifle.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
87 Posts
I'd call Sage, looks like you either have the wrong part or one that was made incorrectly (I only say that because ive never seen a heavy barrel op-rod guide block). There should be two holes on each side of the block, one for the pin and one for a screw.

· Registered
27 Posts
I agree w/ nately. Having just installed mine a few days ago. I would have to say that one got past the QC guys.

· Registered
189 Posts
Install intructions show standard contour oprod guide have red dot on left and muzzle end of barrel. I see the dimple and it is in correct place of where red dot should be. Return the oprod guide to sage if you bought it direct from them, other wise i'd just buy a standard so if you ever get froggy and buy a usgi bolt and nm barrel to swap out you have the part on hand.

· Registered
472 Posts
Dude, bad news is that you have an op rod guide block for the full heavy barrel. You need to post pictures of the front of the chassis to tell if you have a full heavy chassis as well. On a full heavy chassis, the front left screw that secures the top rail / cover is noticably set out from the side of the chassis

· Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Dude, bad news is that you have an op rod guide block for the full heavy barrel. You need to post pictures of the front of the chassis to tell if you have a full heavy chassis as well. On a full heavy chassis, the front left screw that secures the top rail / cover is noticably set out from the side of the chassis
Here's a couple pics of the front end, sorry for the crappy quality, my good camera's battery died so these are from my phone. Anyway, it looks to me like the chassis itself is for a standard weight barrel.

My next question, in the interest of QC is, are the 3 and 9 o'clock op-rod guide block holes in the chassis itself supposed to be threaded? The bottom set screw hole in the chassis is threaded (*EDIT: It's not threaded, the anti-seize from the factory made it look like it was)

I'm working with the distributor right now, and it looks like they'll be taking care of me, I'll update as the issue gets resolved.

Edit: I just noticed that the front left set screw IS offset, but ever so slightly. Does anyone have a comparison pic they could share with me? Here's a couple more, as close as I could get.

Right side

Left side

· Registered
7 Posts
Actually that last pic pretty clearly shows that this is a stock set up for a full heavy barrel (one of the earlier versions with single screw to op rod guide block). I doubt it even has holes for the side screws.

Best swap stocks,

Pig-Out

· Registered
1,523 Posts

Left> Multi size washer
Right> Crush washer

Photos of standard weight barrel Sage EBR Operating Rod Guides.

· Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The issue has been resolved. The distributor was US Tactical Supply. Their customer service department was a pleasure to work with like I mentioned earlier. All emails were promptly responded to and shipping was fast. Granted I only live a few hours North of their store but none-the-less, I received the items next day.

There was a mix-up of parts, at first they sent a new top-cover and op-rod guide block which obviously didn't work with the chassis, but they quickly rectified the situation by sending me the correct chassis and a shipping label to get the heavy barrel chassis back to them.

Overall, I'm a happy customer. This is the first time I've ever had an issue ordering something online and the situation was quickly and painlessly resolved.

· Registered
2,447 Posts
I've always liked US Tactical Supply. Stop at the store whenever I'm in the area. Hopefully they're done moving now. Glad to hear you've been taken care of.

· Registered
76 Posts
Glad US Tactical Supply took care of you.
I have spent some hard earned money with them and they have always been very helpful over the phone in regards to product info and ultimately receiving a smooth transaction between Cali and Florida.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.