M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently acquired a like new (less than 200 rounds through it) SA M1A Loaded model.

This model has the heavy stainless barrel. Anyway, while cycling the action I can feel the Op Rod rubbing against the barrel at the 6 and 3 o'clock position. I can even hear the rub too.

The portion of the barrel after the gas cylinder is smooth (manufacturer removed the lath marks). However, from the gas cylinder back to the receiver the lath marks are there. The lath marks are nothing crazy. I can take my finger nail and feel them. The OP Rod is rubbing on these lath marks. I checked for Op Rod to stock rub and can't detect anything.

I can't imagine that the contact with the Op Rod and the barrel would help accuracy.

I'm turning this rifle into a designated marksman. I just ordered a Sadlak steel mount for her and plan to put my very underrated Nikon Tactical 2.5x10x44 (the good one, last generation, before Nikon changed their specs-when I bought the scope the MSRP was $1,600+). I also have just recently refinished a laminated birch stock from FA and decided to use it on the rifle. Oh, I also ordered an RSP by TNVC for the rifle too. By the way, the gas cylinder is tight. I took it apart to double check. The gas cylinder did not require any shims.

Also, according to the documents from SA, the rifle headspaced at 1.632”.

I can’t wait until I get the rifle up and running. I’m an avid reloader and plan to try out some 155 Scenar, 175 SMK and 178 Hornady Match bullets over either IMR4895 or IMR4064.

Anyway, please share any thoughts regarding this Op Rod to barrel rub and whether it will affect accuracy.

Thanks, Paul

·
Registered
362 Posts
It may or may not affect accuracy. The bullet may already be free of the barrel by the time the op-rod hits anything. On the other hand, the additional violence may rattle other parts leading to inconsistency from shot to shot.

Anyhow, it doesn't seem that serious.. nothing a bit of sandpaper and elbow grease can't fix, it would seem.

·
Registered
558 Posts
The Sadlack might just be the fix. The spring could be kinking (they usually do) on a GI spec op rod spring guide. The Sadlack will remove the kinking and possibly keep the op rod on a better centered course of travel so it does not touch the barrel. It should not touch the barrel in any case. It will affect accuracy or, at a minimum, shot to shot consistency..

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Sadlack might just be the fix. The spring could be kinking (they usually do) on a GI spec op rod spring guide. The Sadlack will remove the kinking and possibly keep the op rod on a better centered course of travel so it does not touch the barrel. It should not touch the barrel in any case. It will affect accuracy or, at a minimum, shot to shot consistency..
Thanks for all three responses. I had not actually thought about the spring being a problem, but once I thought about it, it makes sense.

I'll order one from Brownells ASAP.

Thanks again, Paul

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts