M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
4,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not giving and pro's or con's to any particular ammo supplier. My monthly ammo budget has been suffering due to the shipping cost. I use Ammoman and he includes the cost of shipping with the published price. Even with that, I am still paying shipping charges.

I received an email from another supplier that I found interesting:

Shipping Rates

In an effort to reduce shipping costs, we have now instituted a tiered shipping system, which includes flat shipping rates based on what weight range your order falls in to. For every 20 lbs of ammo, you will only be charged $8.99 for shipping. For example, orders in the 1 to 20 pound weight range will be charged $8.99; orders in the 21 to 41 pound weight range will be charged $17.98; orders in the 42 to 62 pound weight range will be charged $26.97, and so and so forth. Please note that as part of this new shipping system, we will no longer be able to offer free shipping on orders of $1,000 or more.
[email protected]

Freight prices are continuing to rise for no apparent reason. If any of you know a way to help lower the shipping cost of ammo, please share it.

Thanks,

Hobo

·
Rest in Peace
908 Posts
Shipping prices continue to rise for one very good reason - the cost of fuel. Since live ammo can only be shipped UPS or FedEx Ground, the cost will continue to go up. Small quantities are hit especially hard. I collect more than I shoot and it's no fun having to pay $10 to $15 for a single cartridge.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm sure we would all like to hear them.

Ray

·
Super Moderator
11,383 Posts
Maybe, Glen, you could be the Portland area ammo coordinator. We pitch in some $$ and a request of reloading components and ammo, and whenever someone like Widener's has most of what we all want, you can place an order. I'd love to do it, but I have no time.

I know plenty of guys here on the West side that would do it. I think I've got $30 to $80 in the safe to pitch in. I'm running low on IMR-4895 and Federal M80 ball. Dick's has it for $18 a box, but I'd like to get it down to $16. Plus, I need Speer 125's and Berger hybrids.

Tony.

·
Banned
4,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Enterprising idea.........

Maybe, Glen, you could be the Portland area ammo coordinator. We pitch in some $$ and a request of reloading components and ammo, and whenever someone like Widener's has most of what we all want, you can place an order. I'd love to do it, but I have no time.

I know plenty of guys here on the West side that would do it. I think I've got $30 to $80 in the safe to pitch in. I'm running low on IMR-4895 and Federal M80 ball. Dick's has it for $18 a box, but I'd like to get it down to $16.

Tony.
-------------------
Maybe get a van and do an East coast run once a month......... Bring back cigarettes and ammo....... LOL

I'd have to think of something to haul eastward........ Maybe a load of Liberals.

Hobo

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Ammo shipping costs won't get any cheaper. My answer to ammo shipping costs is Dillon!

Yes powder and primers still are expensive with hazmat, but if you buy a bunch or get some friends to go in and split the shipping / hazmat it isn't so bad.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
too many ocmpanies making money on shipping. definately time to reload. as for ammoman, he may figure shipping into ammo costs, but he's one of the vendors that not long ago was sticking people for over $100 for a box of bulk pack 22lr's, therefore i'll never buy from him again.

·
Registered
23 Posts
East bound and down, loaded up and truckin',
a'we gonna do what they say can't be done.

We've got a long way to go, and a short time to get there,
I'm east bound just watch ol'Bandit run!

Keep your foot hard on the peddle,
son never mind them brakes,
let it all hang out 'cause we've got a run to make.

The mags are dry in Atlanta
and there's rounds in Texarkana,
and we'll bring it back no matter what it takes!

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I've been kicking this around myself. Fuel is the primary reason for the bump in prices and not trying to get political but the increased cost of the health care gets passed on to the customers too.

I've been kicking the idea around of visiting different areas and stocking up, but the limiting factor for me is that I would be limited to 11lbs of ammo per flight. Essentially I would have to fly back and forth all day, every day to make it worthwhile.

The Dillion I have hasn't seen much use since components here are pretty limited.

It's a rock and a hard place situation around here.

·
Registered
826 Posts
It's all part of the game. You either pay shipping or tax when ordering online. Sometimes both. I tend to order from Targetsportusa.com. They give "free" shipping on cases. Of course it is rolled into their prices, but sometimes you can get a good deal on stuff and because its out of state there is no sales tax. Oh and they do ship to CA.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Targetsportusa.com redirect link ?

It's all part of the game. You either pay shipping or tax when ordering online. Sometimes both. I tend to order from Targetsportusa.com. They give "free" shipping on cases. Of course it is rolled into their prices, but sometimes you can get a good deal on stuff and because its out of state there is no sales tax. Oh and they do ship to CA.
I went to this site got redirected to scam page Targetsportusa.com
watch out

·
Registered
406 Posts
I'm not giving and pro's or con's to any particular ammo supplier. My monthly ammo budget has been suffering due to the shipping cost. I use Ammoman and he includes the cost of shipping with the published price. Even with that, I am still paying shipping charges.

I received an email from another supplier that I found interesting:

Shipping Rates

In an effort to reduce shipping costs, we have now instituted a tiered shipping system, which includes flat shipping rates based on what weight range your order falls in to. For every 20 lbs of ammo, you will only be charged $8.99 for shipping. For example, orders in the 1 to 20 pound weight range will be charged $8.99; orders in the 21 to 41 pound weight range will be charged $17.98; orders in the 42 to 62 pound weight range will be charged $26.97, and so and so forth. Please note that as part of this new shipping system, we will no longer be able to offer free shipping on orders of $1,000 or more.
[email protected]

Freight prices are continuing to rise for no apparent reason. If any of you know a way to help lower the shipping cost of ammo, please share it.

Thanks,

Hobo
Just like we learned from the movie Kung Fu Panda, there is no secret ingredient in the secret ingredient soup.

first, whatever you do, don’t buy cheap, steel case stuff. it will put pressure on the market and make it harder for me to land good deals on it :p

Second, don’t reload. I’ve got enough trouble finding components.

now that the important stuff is out of the way, you need to evaluate what your need is. If you are not carrying an inventory of ammunition in your commonly shot calibers, you’re likely in dire need at the start of a crisis - whether the crisis is manufactured from our side, or due to market pressure from some politically hot event. Consider carrying a stored inventory of ammunition that will last at least 3-6 months. Don’t go out and buy this R.F.N. but accumulate a stock so that when the next panic comes up, you can ride out the initial spike in prices followed by the price surge, so that you can buy when the prices are on their way back down. prior to Mittens losing the election, I was thinking 3-6 months was enough to ride out a panic but I think that is on the low side now.

My current thinking is you need a year’s worth of ammo in your commonly shot calibers. Ironically, it’s easier for multiple gun users. If you have 4 commonly shot calibers, you’re not going to shoot them every time you go to the range, you’ll run out of time first :) If you are competing, feeding an automatic, or even a belt fed... you need more.

Keeping this much inventory won’t insulate you from panic pricing, but it will give you the luxury of kicking back and waiting for bargains rather than having to buy based on need. All of this focuses mostly on component or ammo cost, rather than shipping, however, following this also insulates you from spikes in shipping prices to an extent.

Call if you order in bulk. A lot of times, the online shipping options are “canned” and scale to outrageous levels based on a predetermined web formula. I’ve had to order truck freight in the past due to size and the online shipping rate was about the cost of the order! I knew that couldn’t be right so I called and obtained a far better shipping rate.

If you can ship to a commercial address, it’s a little cheaper, maybe your local dealer, range, smith can help with that? it can’t hurt to ask.

shop around. I like to be loyal to vendors I have good results with but once in a while I can’t find what I want there. you have to be open to new vendor relationships.

Related to “shop around” - don’t buy stuff that basically doubles the cost of the ammo when you add in shipping. An example of this, particularly if you’re short on .22 now, vendors will release ammunition for sale with an artificially low quantity cap, and they impose a mandatory shipping charge. <-- Don’t buy this! Be in a position that you don’t need it.

Call out vendors on their $hit. I don’t begrudge a vendor their profit, but I do begrudge $12.95 in shipping on a single 50 round box of .22 LR. don’t just do it on the internet, pick up the phone and call them and tell them their outrageous shipping costs just lost them a sale. Don’t tell them “I’ll never shop with you again” - you basically just made them unwilling to listen to anything else you say. Rather, tell them “Eric, I can get the same ammo $30 cheaper at Acme ammo. I really like supporting vendors who have been good to me in the past, and I want to be loyal to you, but I can’t pay higher prices to do it. Work with me” - or similar. Let them know they can earn your business, or lose it and have to earn it back.

If more of us had this discipline the panic market wouldn’t be as great and we wouldn’t see as much of the panic spike, the spike wouldn’t last as long and the market’s lack of movement would prompt prices to come down.

Fuel costs are definitely driving up costs at every angle. All of the components that make up ammunition are shipped / assembled. Then they’re shipped again to distributors as loaded ammo; then sold to retail and at least sometimes shipped again. Every person in the chain from the smelter operator to the retailer, including the shipping driver are paying increased fuel costs which is biting into their family budgets, and they’re needing more money to live, so their cut gets bigger, so there’s a lot more to this that we usually don’t consider.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I just figure up ahead of time what I am willing to pay per round, including shipping and order likewise. Palmetto messes up sometimes and offers free shipping the same time as offering special deals on particular items. Samco tooled me with some of their linked .308 a time ago when they split my order into 2 boxes. That hurt.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Back to the OP and Tony, I live north and east of you but go to Salem on a regular basis, at least every 2 mos. While there are never any good deals on Ammo available from stores, if you reload pistol I know I would like to pick up a pound without having to pay hazmat. Same goes for primers. Now where it doesn't seem to work very well for us in particular because I'm pretty sure we are out of the same things you are, but if there are people traveling up from Texas, Tennessee etc. it might work. Kind of putting it out there but if you live somewhere where components, ammo or anything is available, post when you are leaving and where you are going. I know if I was asked I would do it for a beer and a chance to meet someone like minded.

·
Banned
4,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Another question

Back to the OP and Tony, I live north and east of you but go to Salem on a regular basis, at least every 2 mos. While there are never any good deals on Ammo available from stores, if you reload pistol I know I would like to pick up a pound without having to pay hazmat. Same goes for primers. Now where it doesn't seem to work very well for us in particular because I'm pretty sure we are out of the same things you are, but if there are people traveling up from Texas, Tennessee etc. it might work. Kind of putting it out there but if you live somewhere where components, ammo or anything is available, post when you are leaving and where you are going. I know if I was asked I would do it for a beer and a chance to meet someone like minded.
----------------
Where does ammo "originate"? I know that's a broad question but in our case, where does the quality 7.62 NATO come from. That should be a location with close to $0.00 shipping cost. Similar to picking up an automobile at the factory to save transportation.

Hobo

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.