M14 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen, If a fella has all the necessary parts for a M14, what is the cost, to assemble everything into a McMillian stock to Match Specs [Armascorp match reciever, Krieger heavy match barrel, all USGI parts]?

1/2 Moa sights not needed as this will be a scoped rifle.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have seen his website. He states he does not work on older Armscorp recievers. I wonder why??? I have had mine for over 15 years.

I do have one match M14 made by Armscorp, that I used for Service rifle Competition, and it has been an excellent shooter, with no problems...

·
Super Moderator
11,505 Posts
I have seen his website. He states he does not work on older Armscorp recievers. I wonder why??? I have had mine for over 15 years.

I do have one match M14 made by Armscorp, that I used for Service rifle Competition, and it has been an excellent shooter, with no problems...
I believe it was due to improper heat treat and surface hardness issues but I could be wrong.

·
"Death From Above"
11,887 Posts
With bedding and a torque screw with assembly and fitting all the parts I would imagine between 400-600 dollars to include bedding maybe even a little more depending who does the job. Ted Brown(Shooters Den) is a great choice you may even consider having krieger do the work. Both of these companies have an itemized list of charges on there websitesTypical assembly price for the action alone is around 200-250. Some smiths charge a little more to fit a Krieger barrel due to the need to fit and drill the op rod guide and fit the barrel to the receiver. The barrels don't always hand index to every receiver at 7-730. The Krieger barrels are truly a custom fit barrel. They leave extra material on the shoulder in order to facilitate the variations in commercial receivers. They typically hand index at 20-22 degrees rather than 16-18 degrees. The shoulder needs to be cut down a small amount to correctly hand index. I have installed 7 Krieger barrels and all but one needed the shoulder machined a small amount to properly hand index at 7-730. Not a big deal but whoever you have do the build, I would make sure that they have done this procedure to a few barrels and make sure they have a lathe. It's not something I would take lightly. Krieger barrels are to expensive to give to a novice builder or someone that has not done this before. There used to be a sticky with a list of armorers that work on the M14. It's a starting place but again I would be asking if they have ever fitted a Krieger barrel before and ask if they know the shoulders need to be fit and how would they go about doing it. These barrels don't have a beveled shoulder like most barrels do, they are cut to 90 degrees and there is nothing there to crush as you tighten it to the receivers. Food for thought let us know how you make out. I built one just like the one you are building except for the bedding job. That I left to Derrik Martin from accuracy speaks. Is your lug drilled and tapped to accommodate a torque screw and pillar? If so that is something else to consider when it comes to choosing a builder. You want to find one that has done several torque screw set ups. If it's not drilled and tapped you may want to consider having it done. The benefit is, after removing the action from the bedding for cleaning and re installing it with the torque screw you don't have to make any "settling shots" to regain the grouping you had prior to removing the action. At least this is the case with my SM rifles with torque screws. All the best of luck with your build! Sounds like you have a winning combination there with your set up. Your going to really like that Mac m1a stock. It's a weapon in it's own right.
Here is what you will have to look forward to. Krieger heavy 1/10 LRB rear lugged w/torque screw and Mac M1A gap cammo set up, Les Tam sling. I'll be using this one to start competing this month. You will love the rifle when your done.

·
Registered
375 Posts
+1 for Krieger. Just swapped out a 22" NM SS Barrel with a 18.5" Krieger med-weight barrel from the group buy. Excellent job! Fit & finish lokk like new.

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,618 Posts
Armscorp Builds

I get asked all the time why I choose not to work on older Armscorp receivers. It isn't their heat treating that bothers me. It is simply that Armscorp receivers are often out of spec in their tolerances to a point that correcting them would cause other problems. Most of the problems relate to older receivers as said. However, I find that even newer receivers including some from their last production exhibited similar inconsistancies.

I also choose not to work on Chinese rifles and receivers made by Entreprise Arms for the same reasons. Over the course of many years this policy has saved me a great deal of frustration and I can honestly say my hair loss is due to age rather than abuse.

There are very good receivers available from LRB Arms, Smith Enterprises, Springfield Armory and others. I'm pleased to work with any of these.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I get asked all the time why I choose not to work on older Armscorp receivers. It isn't their heat treating that bothers me. It is simply that Armscorp receivers are often out of spec in their tolerances to a point that correcting them would cause other problems. Most of the problems relate to older receivers as said. However, I find that even newer receivers including some from their last production exhibited similar inconsistancies.

I also choose not to work on Chinese rifles and receivers made by Entreprise Arms for the same reasons. Over the course of many years this policy has saved me a great deal of frustration and I can honestly say my hair loss is due to age rather than abuse.

There are very good receivers available from LRB Arms, Smith Enterprises, Springfield Armory and others. I'm pleased to work with any of these.
Sir, I have a Krieger barrel I need mounted to a Fulton receiver (I pray I didn't get a lemon!!!!!) along with my TRW bolt headspaced. Is it possible to find out how long it will take, if I sent it in next week?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
heavy barrel (with heavy oprod guide) = $320
non chrome lined barrel = $300
chrome lined barrel = $275

The above prices are from M14parts.com (Jon Wolf) - He is a small one man shop & does NOT sub out any of his builds - IMO he is one of the best!

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
Jon built 5 rifles for me and the turn around was fast and he did an excellent job. I haven't had Ted built a rifle for me yet but I have met him and seen his work in person. I wouldn't hesitate to use him in a heart beat.

You can't go wrong with either Ted Brown or Jon Wolfe.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.