M14 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of us are in the same boat-fiftyish eyes needing help with the front sight on our M14/M1A or pistols. But what about 3 Gunners? The conventional wisdom for the rifle correction is 2X the front sight distance. Pistol needs a little more correction. Is it better to just use the rifle script all around? Or maybe shorten the distance script to the Rifle sight distance? So far the rifle glasses work OK in 3 Gun, but looking for suggestions. My optometrist (non-shooter) a smart guy and open-minded, seemed to be learning more from me than the other way around about rifle/pistol shooting vision requirements. Talking to other shootersabout their their eye Dr, they are in the same boat.

·
Forum Jester
8,202 Posts
Reactions: MrM1A and rabbitone

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
My eye doctor is a shooter and he had me bring a rifle and a pistol to my eye exam and he adjusted my prescription based on a clear sight picture. He used an old school lens kit set in a pair of modified frames so I could hold the rifle to my cheek.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
My eye doctor is a shooter and he had me bring a rifle and a pistol to my eye exam and he adjusted my prescription based on a clear sight picture. He used an old school lens kit set in a pair of modified frames so I could hold the rifle to my cheek.
Bringing a rifle to a doctors office.
Now that's as old school as it gets there.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
https://shootingsight.com/product-category/lenses/
if your using iron sights on the m1a,and they allow use of nm rear sights or adding a hood to the rear sight,you can use shooting sights m1a sight lenses adapted to the rear sight
Big fan of Shootingsight products. I have the inserts in both my M14 and AR15A2 for Highpower. I tried it out on my other AR, not a real quick sight. Besides, if I'm going to wear corrective eyeglasses for pistol, now I would have a different issue with rifle. Plus, if the shotgun event requires slugs I have a bead to focus on-back to the original issue.

·
Eye Master
4,121 Posts
At the end of the day, your shooting prescription is literally averaging the lens you need to see the target best and the lens you need to see the sight best.

For rifles, I base the math off the front sight, for pistols, I base it off the rear sight.

If you have a current distance prescription (which will let you see the target perfectly, and you know the distance to the rear sight/front sight depending on pistol/rifle, I can just do the math to get you to the happy spot in-between. In photography, this is called your hyperfocal distance.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Art. I have been using my Smallbore glasses (+.75) and it seems to work fine. My rifle script is +.50 which you had suggested to me a while back. I don't know the pistol script since my eye doctor based it from measurements of 18" past the front sight in bullseye stance. That measurement came out of suggestions from a few older bullseye shooters.

·
Eye Master
4,121 Posts
Since you typically need to add zero to see the target (since it is at optical infinity), the math works out to an average of what you need to see the front sight, and zero, which results in a diopter value of half what you need to see the front sight.

Since diopters are inverse focal lengths, a diopter of half what you need to see the front sight will focus you at 2x the distance of the front sight. So that is where the 2x recommendation comes from.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Bringing rifle to opthamologist's office

Bringing a rifle to a doctors office.
Now that's as old school as it gets there.
If I brought a firearm into my opthamologist's office I'd have a Glock screwed into my ear about 3 minutes later by one of the local PD Officers.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If I brought a firearm into my opthamologist's office I'd have a Glock screwed into my ear about 3 minutes later by one of the local PD Officers.
Yeah, I just took a tape measure at home to get the sights to eye distance....only thing the Dr needs to see is where your pupil lines up in the eyeglasses so they can grind the "center" of the lens.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.