M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a rear sight for an HRA build project...one at which I'm looking and that came off of a rifle with an HRA receiver has an elevation knob marked "WCE" and a windage is marked "Wright"...are those subcontract markings appropriate for an HRA rifle, or would only straight "HR" markings be correct?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
I am looking at a rear sight for an HRA build project...one at which I'm looking and that came off of a rifle with an HRA receiver has an elevation knob marked "WCE" and a windage is marked "Wright"...are those subcontract markings appropriate for an HRA rifle, or would only straight "HR" markings be correct?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
The markings on Your Knobs are pobably correct,"WCE" Wilco Electric Co," Wright"Wright Mfg Co,There is such a Thing as HRA Knobs but I have yet to see one!

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
Trung Si is right as usual, the makers would use knobs from all over, whatever sub-contractor that had them handy at the time, I also see a lot of DRC knobs....(Druge Manufacturing) on all HR rifles.

·
Marine
176 Posts
I built an H&R M14/M1A replica to as new as I possibly could, on an LRB receiver, even down to new parts in H&R packing, even though the part inside was known to be "unmarked".

Below is a record of my discussion with Different, who I believe to be the best authority on the subject of rear sights.

Different,
I am building a "new" M14/M1A rifle from new or as-new H&R mfg parts on an LRB receiver.

I have a question regarding the one part that I'm having trouble researching & finding. It pertains to the rear sights.

It's my understanding that H&R did not build the rear sight windage & elevation themselves, but rather sub contracted at least the windage knob to Wright, hence the HRA-W marking on the windage knob. I have one of those.

I'm having great difficulty finding an M14 elevation pinion (M) marked with anything related to H&R.
Any knowledge of what NEW H&R rifles came with for elevation pinions?
Even better, in case there is such an animal, do you have one? :)
Thanks for your reply.
Best regards,
Jerry Downey

Jerry,

Yes, Harrington & Richardson Arms Co. did subcontract the elevation knob and pinion assembly. They had 140 subcontractors on the M14 project. I checked my photo archives. I found a photo of a H&R X series Guerilla Gun M14 that was kept on site until the firm went out of business in the mid-1980s. It's tough to make it out in the photo but I verified the knob marking with some USGI elevation knobs. Wico Electric (WCE) did supply Harrington & Richardson Arms in 1962 with elevation knob assemblies. You're correct on the windage knob. HTH

Best regards,
Lee

Jerry,

I just found another photo in my archives from my visit to the National Museum of the Marine Corps. A H&R M14 at the museum clearly shows a WCE marked elevation knob. I think we solved this mystery.

Lee

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
There is such a Thing as HRA Knobs but I have yet to see one!
I'm looking at one right now, marked HR|A, it's on a M1, goes to 1200 yds. Makes sense H&R could have stamped the same elev pinion knob for meters when they got a M14 contract, but I don't have one.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
I have 7 HR A M1 elevation pinions in my parts kit not a 1 with an "M" none on my HRA rifles either. And I have 4 HRA/W windage knobs

·
Marine
176 Posts
I have 7 HR A M1 elevation pinions in my parts kit not a 1 with an "M" none on my HRA rifles either. And I have 4 HRA/W windage knobs
My findings are consistent with the contents of your parts kit and the known fact that H&R used subcontractors for the elevation pinions and windage knobs.

Personally, I've seen no evidence that there were ever any H&R elevation pinions with "M", and I doubt that I ever will.

HR A marked elevation pinions were only on M1 Garands, calibrated for yards, not meters.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
I'm looking at one right now, marked HR|A, it's on a M1, goes to 1200 yds. Makes sense H&R could have stamped the same elev pinion knob for meters when they got a M14 contract, but I don't have one.
I know that HRA Elevation Pinions exist, they were made after WWII for the M1 Garand, they had Large Letters,the ones for the14 marked HRA had Small Letters and an"M" and both wer made by Wright Mfr Co. and I have not seen one of those!ICONWINK

1 - 9 of 9 Posts