M14 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any body got any ideas on how many rounds it takes to get enough copper build up in the bore to start affecting the rifle.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Aloha Twiggy:

I think that is a good question! I bet some of it has to do with what kind of performance we want in between cleaning. I am sure in battle, it is really not important to get super accuracy by taking all of the copper out.

I have read in articles that every 10 rounds with a good cleaning should give you optimum performance... 8O Man, that woke me up in a hurry! I have never done this amount of cleaning while shooting except to break in a barrel.

A question which is along the same line as your question but doesn't deserve a thread of its own (so I hope you don't mind me asking this) is... How do we know how much copper is left in the barrel and when is clean... clean enough? Without a bore scope.

Normally, I shoot between 50-200 rounds in a given shooting day and I have yet to see accuracy dramatically fall off due to copper build up... I think I fatigue before the copper builds up enough. I have always blamed myself for groups opening up at the end of the day and assumed that it was cause I got tired.

Hmmm...

Aloha,

Tom O.

·
Banned
611 Posts
I think it really depends on too much to set any sort of standard. Bore condition, type of bullet, powder, speed. There are so many things that can effect how much copper gets left behind it's pathetic. I say shoot cast bullets and forget it.
But then the question would be how many lead bullets before buildup becomes a factor.
I guess you just can't win.
Clean it every time you shoot it and use the solvent not the brush if you know what I mean. It saves your bore trust me. Especialy since you have to clean them from the front.
If accuracy starts falling off at the range then stop and clean it.
From personal experience with mine I can put up to 20 coated x bullets in the same hole at 100 yards before it gets weird with fliers. All other conditions being perfect. I can do at least 10 of the uncoated ones. With my cast bullets wich are only capable of an inch group on a good day anyway I can get 80 to 100 before they really get messy. Not from lead stripping off but from powder and lube fouling. It cleans out with 1 wet and 1 dry patch real easy. These are just normal wheelweight alloy bullets at a hardness suitable for hunting.
I used to shoot a lot of 165 ballistic tips and they were good for 100 or so in my douglas too.

·
Banned
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So: bore cleaners like Shooters Choice etc. do they just disolve the residue and the copper looses its grip because it is held in place by the residue or what? That stuff dosen't directly desolve copper does it ?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.