M14 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all

I have a ptr-91f. It's my do everything plinker/SHTF/hunting rifle and it's a dandy rifle, but i'm considering swapping for a Scout Squad from Springfield. A couple reasons: I'm a lefty and the ergo's on the m1a seem just about tailored me, while the charging handle on the G3 requires me to move my hand from the pistol grip, brace the rifle on my knee with my off hand, charge, then reacquire my target. Not ideal.

The other issue is it won't cycle tar sealed ammunition. It has a T/C target barrel and apparently they made the flutes too shallow. In a shtf situation i want a rifle that eats anything.

Yes, i could swap my ptr for a model with the lighter barrel, but if i'm making a change, i was thinking why not try something that seems so well suited to me as the m1a?

My only questions are 1: the m1a scout squad from my understanding is not a milspec rifle. Is this an issue as to it's ruggedness and reliability? 2: The ptr-91f will not eat cheap milsurp but will digest any commercial .308, will i have a tough time finding commercial premium hunting ammunition for the m1a that doesn't beat it up & bend an op rod? Would an adjustable gas allow the rifle to use commercial .308?

I found this:

schuster m1a adjustable gas plug for $48 from midway

Thanks so much for your thoughts & opinions!

QB

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate to trade for the Scout. The M1A is a very rugged rifle, will digest all the good surplus ammo out there, and commercial up to 168 will be fine too. That shuster plug will allow you to fire heavier ammo with no problems. I have used commercial Remington 150 grain Cor-lokts for years for hunting, accurate and reliable out of all my M14 type rifles.

I believe you will be doing yourself a favor for trading rifles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wouldn't hesitate to trade for the Scout. The M1A is a very rugged rifle, will digest all the good surplus ammo out there, and commercial up to 168 will be fine too. That shuster plug will allow you to fire heavier ammo with no problems. I have used commercial Remington 150 grain Cor-lokts for years for hunting, accurate and reliable out of all my M14 type rifles.

I believe you will be doing yourself a favor for trading rifles.
Good deal, thanks 4570! My elk deer cartridge is 150gr and elk is 165 gr so that's perfect. I actually have a box of 150gr core lokt in my closet right now.

I didn't realize the adjustable gas plug was a bullet weight issue. I was looking into hornady superformance sst and could not get any kind of data on chamber pressure. They stated they are well under saami specs for .308 but that's not very specific.

Thanks for the reply mate!

QB

1 - 3 of 3 Posts