M14 Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Quest continues and i want to say again that i appreciate the opportunity to learn from you all. My preference is/was a WWI vintage shooter. I don't mind a WWII refurb at all. I do want to keep both eyes in their respective eye sockets.

Question: you’re me. You have an opportunity for either A) a Springer 1930 serial 840xxx that looks very clean, bright barrel, laquered stock, limited stock stamps “P” and opposing T’s on bottom, nothing else, “B” on base plate, greek return. Price asking about $1000. Or option B) a clean Remington, high serial, barrel date 1942, scant stock for about the same price.

A? B? Or keep my powder dry?
For that price buy the Remington and have a good guaranteed shooter! I think a thousand seems a little steep for World War II Remington shooter.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I mistyped the Springfield - meant 1903 not 1930. The Remington ask price was actually $1100. The Springfield price just came down to $850. I'm starting to lean toward the Springfield at this point. Am I going to go wrong here?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
I think you could go either way and be happy if condition is similar, good bores etc.
Thanks. From what I've seen of some of the Greek returns, some looked a little shabby. This one looks like it's been taken care of and the bore's bright and no pitting. The "S" stock (hope I got that right - straight stock with finger grooves) has no visible damage but the usual dings. The serial is 841xxx and has the last 4 etched on the bolt as well as stamped on the stock. Barrel date is Feb 18.

I really wanted something from the Great War and really want something I can shoot. I really shouldn't be spending money right now. I'm thinking the China virus has got my brain.

·
Registered
6,939 Posts
Thanks. From what I've seen of some of the Greek returns, some looked a little shabby. This one looks like it's been taken care of and the bore's bright and no pitting. The "S" stock (hope I got that right - straight stock with finger grooves) has no visible damage but the usual dings. The serial is 841xxx and has the last 4 etched on the bolt as well as stamped on the stock. Barrel date is Feb 18.

I really wanted something from the Great War and really want something I can shoot. I really shouldn't be spending money right now. I'm thinking the China virus has got my brain.
I'm thinking this crap has everyone a little addled. There is only one cure, buy more guns!

BTW, that could be the original barrel as that receiver range is also 1918 I believe.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I know prices have gone up a little but if I'm spending over 1K on a 1903 it had better have some special features, ie all correct, rare stock or pre-war C stock with less than 1 on MW gauge.
The Springfield sounds like an OK deal as long as the barrel is in really good condition. If I was going to spend that much on a Remington 1903 it had better be wearing a RLB stock.

·
Registered
6,939 Posts
I know prices have gone up a little but if I'm spending over 1K on a 1903 it had better have some special features, ie all correct, rare stock or pre-war C stock with less than 1 on MW gauge.
The Springfield sounds like an OK deal as long as the barrel is in really good condition. If I was going to spend that much on a Remington 1903 it had better be wearing a RLB stock.
Prices seem to have gone up a lot. I find this usually the situation when I want something. Some years ago, forget what year, I got into my first diesel vehicle, an F250. Price of fuel was about $4 a gallon at that time. Shortly thereafter it was $5 and up!!

So I guess you can blame me for the price of '03's going up as I have been looking too....

21 - 28 of 28 Posts