M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at an Accuracy International 308 with a 24" barrel. I have a Weatherby Threat Response 308 from 2002. Should I keep the Weatherby and just add the AI or sell the Weatherby. Anyone have any experience with both these rifles? Thanks.

·
Registered
826 Posts
A.I. makes damn good stuff. A little bit pricey, but damn good. The Weatherby is also a great rifle, but less desirable by the long range tactical community because of the lack of aftermarket support for it. If you have the cash I would say keep the Weatherby, but if it comes down to not getting the A.I. (which I believe to be a superior rifle) then sell it. There are also lots of other rifles that can use the A.I. chassis system if that is an option for you.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
I bought a Mossberg MVP Varmint 27732 because of the reviews and the fact that it uses the same magazines as the M1A. My 2¢.
So you can confirm it uses unmoded m14 mags!!GI5

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
AI has the reputation of being the most rugged Sniper's rifle in the world. Yep, you can have one built for the same price, or less, but you won't be disappointed in the AI. And by AI I mean the AW or AX series, not the less expensive AE series.

If you are comfortable with the AI setup and configuration, then get it. If you're not comfortable with the stock or other parts, then don't get it cuz there aren't aftermarkets. Stock skins yes, but not entire stocks.

The FN SPR actions are made on a different line than the Win70 actions. Same action, just held to tighter tolerances.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
I am looking at an Accuracy International 308 with a 24" barrel. I have a Weatherby Threat Response 308 from 2002. Should I keep the Weatherby and just add the AI or sell the Weatherby. Anyone have any experience with both these rifles? Thanks.
Weatherby threat response is nothing to scream about, AI is a fantastic rifle. You could also get a custom GAP 308 for that kind of money.

·
Registered
585 Posts
It's a tough decision OP but I wouldn't see the need for 2 bolt guns for the same purpose but at the same time I loathe selling a weapon.

The even tougher decision would be choosing between AI and GAP. They're both fine rifles and I think you'd be well served by either. It's going to boil down to the fine details as to which route to take and exactly what you want out of the rifle.

I've had very limited experience with an AIAEmk2. The main things I took away from shooting it was that A: The rifle is capable of accuracy that well surpassed the shooter and B: Its built like a tank and weighs as much as one. If you intend to walk any sort of distance with the rifle (hunting etc) than consider the GAP in a lighter stock such as the McM.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
My pleasure. Something else to keep in mind: the AI AW is a very popular military-issue Sniper around the world. The Israeli Defense Forces, the Brits (I shot them first when I cross-trained with the British Royal Marines), the USSOCOM 1st SFOD-D (Delta Force), the British Special Air Service, German KSK, the Swedes, the Dutch, the Aussies........off the top of my head.

They gotta be doing something right!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts