M14 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
High,

A quick question. I have an NFA select fire M14 (actually a pre-86 converted SEI receiver).

I find it difficult to remove the connector rod when I field strip the weapon without removing the connector lock and it's associated roll pin. Since the roll pin is quite fragile in my experience, it is annoying to have to replace this roll pin when I field strip the rifle, which admittedly is not often since it sits in a bedded McMillan stock.

I have attached a picture of how it's supposed to work. My problem is I cannot rotate the connector rod down 35 degrees (or at all) because the connector lock sticks out far enough to prevent it from moving unless I take it out.

Should the rifle be using a shorter connector lock or are you supposed to have to take out the connector lock every time?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
The connector lock does not have to be removed to dismount the connector assembly and you do not want the connector lock to be shorter..

The spring in the connector assembly is moderately stout, so you have to compress it to remove the connector assembly. I think you will find it much easier to remove the connector assembly if you lay the action on it's left side and place the thumb of your right hand at the back end of the connector assembly and the index finger of your right hand around the front side of the base of the selector. Then grasp the front end of the connector assembly and in a coordinated motion, push with your thumb while utilizing your index finger for added stability, and pull forward on the connector assembly with your left hand while at the same time pushing the assembly off the lock. The connector assembly does not have to go very far forward to clear the lock. Practice it a few times and you'll get the hang of it and it will become easy.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The connector lock does not have to be removed to dismount the connector assembly and you do not want the connector lock to be shorter..

The spring in the connector assembly is moderately stout, so you have to compress it to remove the connector assembly. I think you will find it much easier to remove the connector assembly if you lay the action on it's left side and place the thumb of your right hand at the back end of the connector assembly and the index finger of your right hand around the front side of the base of the selector. Then grasp the front end of the connector assembly and in a coordinated motion, push with your thumb while utilizing your index finger for added stability, and pull forward on the connector assembly with your left hand while at the same time pushing the assembly off the lock. The connector assembly does not have to go very far forward to clear the lock. Practice it a few times and you'll get the hang of it and it will become easy.
Thanks, I did it as you described and it came right out. The key was getting an index finger under the selector for leverage like you said.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.