M14 Forum banner

Confused about stocks

1015 3
I am jumping into the M1A family.
I'll buy a std M1A from SA and having a LRB built up for target shooting.
I'm very confused about the stocks offered.
(a) Is the SA black synthetic stock painted or full color?
(b) I've seen size differences in wood stocks - some are heavier/thicker. Is this true?
(c) I prefer a thinner stock (feels better - small hand). Any advice on this - who offers them.
(d) Who offers the better stocks (wood or synthetic).
Thanks for your help.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
stocks

WSAR15,
(a) Is the SA black synthetic stock painted or full color?
The SA stock is a USGI with a paint job of poor durability.
(b) I've seen size differences in wood stocks - some are heavier/thicker. Is this true?
Yes. The different makers had slightly different profiles with the heaviest intended for match use.
(c) I prefer a thinner stock (feels better - small hand). Any advice on this - who offers them.
(d) Who offers the better stocks (wood or synthetic).
The GI synthetic has the trimmest profile. I like the looks of the wood stocks but the synthetic just feels "right" to me. I'm basically a plinker-hunter, the match shooters have entirely different needs. Orion 7 or Freds should be able to fill your stock needs.
http://www.fredsm14stocks.com/catalog/parts.asp
http://www.m1garand.com/

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Thick. The only thin Boyd's stocks are the Fulton Armory "USGI Contour" stocks (they are made by Boyd's).

Boyd's uses a grade of walnut that I really dislike. Way too light, and it doesn't have that beautiful walnut color when finished unles it's stained.

If you are looking for an aftermarket M1A stock, then buy a Wenig standard grade M1A stock. THe grade of walnut they use is much better. You'll probably have to cut the bolt stop inletting yourself, but it's not that hard to do.

As for USGI stocks, I will never use Fred's again. He still owes me 9 stocks after a 6 month wait. Never again. Try Orion 7.

Of course, the above info is just my opinion. Do as you like, your mileage my vary. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.