M14 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My range has 50, 100, and 200 yard targets. I'd like to be able to zero my rifles on the 50 yard line for 200 yards so I can eliminate most of the shooter error GI2 and establish a good zero. I just want to make sure my calculations are correct and hopefully someone who knows more can chime in.

For M80 I have 1.4" high at 50 yards for 200 yard zero. Is this correct?

·
Registered
558 Posts
The only way you will establish a true zero is to shoot at the intended range. Zeroing on short ranges was done to get men and their rifles ready for battle in short order when there was limited shooting facilities. So, depending on what you are trying to do (get ready for battle or shoot competitively) those are the things you need to think about. If you have 200 yards use it. If your shooting ability induces a specific change to an otherwise different mechanical zero, you are better off incorporating that into the final zero. People who compete and do well, don't zero their rifles from Ransom rests and then go shoot with those zeros from position. They zero based on position and let nuances in their shooting style become an integral part of that zero. For instance, my 200 yard sitting rapid zero is different than my 200 yard offhand zero with an AR15, still the same range and ammunition, but different zero...

Calculations are a wonderful thing, but getting into position and pulling the trigger, often, is the only way to stay proficient with the rifle and its zero. A true zero incorporates the shooter just as much as it does the sights, ammo and rifle. Ive zeroed rifles at range and in position and then let them sit for months, only to find that when I go back out with them I need to change the mechanical zero on rifle. Obviously this pertains to shooting the X ring and not center mass of an enemy combatant, but its really a matter of what your goals are...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts