M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been on my mind for a while, and I guess I am curious on your thoughts on this.

The story is pretty simple and I will try to keep it short. A few months ago, I went to the outdoor gun range I am a member of and I was the only person there. While there, I shot up all my ammunition. I had just finished packing all my gear back into my truck when some car pulls into the range and stops right by me. Driver pulls down his window and something seemed... not right about the driver. Cant put my finger on it. Its just that my instinct told me that something about the guy wasn't right, my stomach got a real sick feeling, and I needed to leave. He started asking me some questions about the range, membership, etc. Meanwhile, I was completely unarmed, and with a truck full of very expensive guns. Fearing robbery, I mentally made an exfill plan and quartered my body as to suggest I may be armed while making my way to the truck. I answered his questions in a friendly manner and he left and nothing bad happened. Maybe I was paranoid, maybe not.

It got me to thinking. Maybe I should conceal carry at the gun range. Then I started thinking that maybe many people do this already and I should have been smart enough to already be doing this. I am big enough to admit when I have not used common sense.

So, I was curious about your own thoughts about concealed carry while at the gun range. Is it something which is commonly done, and encouraged? Or do most of you guys figure that the gun range is the last place to expect robbery and thing concealed carry is perhaps overly paranoid? For what it is worth, I plan to CC from now on regardless. Just wondering about your opinion and experience is all. I would appreciate your input and thought it might be fun for us to discuss.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I carry at the 100yd range I frequent. Its a public range with 4 lanes and 99.9% of people there are just good folks looking to shoot or sight in their scopes, but one can not be too careful when you are about 1.5 miles off the main road.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
The only place I open carry is on the range. Plus, my M4 clone is locked and loaded and the Eotech turned on by my side.

I shoot my target rifles and use up the ammo I intended to train with that day, but never empty my carry gun and my trusty M4 clone. The only time I use my carry gun ammo is when I train with them, but I have the other carry guns open carried, locked and loaded.

·
Administrator
17,159 Posts
At our City range in Albuquerque we can not CC or open carry on the site. But once I walk back to my car to leave, I start packing again.

DI5

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I went to the range today, and I was carrying the whole time. I think it may be against the rules, but since I was the only one who knew, nobody was any the wiser. I sure wasn't about to volunteer any information!

There were plenty of other people around, but like someone posted earler, you just never know...

·
Inquisitor
11,356 Posts
I went to the range today, and I was carrying the whole time. I think it may be against the rules, but since I was the only one who knew, nobody was any the wiser. I sure wasn't about to volunteer any information!
Bingo. Do what you can get away with. If you are effectively concealing, who's going to know to harp on you? Another option might be to keep a pistol in a pouch on your range bag/rifle bag/whatever.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
"Paranoia is only Smart Thinking when the Whole World is out to get you"
Dr Johnny Fever WKRP Cincinnati
I always save some loaded mags for the ride home , Ya never know when the Aliens , Zombies , or FSA are going to act up

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I don't currently have a CCL, and in Rhode Island it's a felony to operate a conveyance on a public road with a loaded long gun, or a loaded magazine inside.

Needless to say, anyone who would assault you at the gun range is going to shoot you from a distance when you're alone anyway, or wait for you to get in your car and follow you home to rob you later. The likelihood of someone assaulting someone they know is armed when the gun may or may not be loaded is just too stupid, even for most criminals.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I remember reading a story some years back, about a guy with a few expensive weapons shooting at his range alone. A car with 3 guys pulls in and they walk up to the line to watch this guy shooting. He empty's his rifle and they walk up along side and shoot him in the head and made off with his guns. In a time were folks are shot for the clothes on their back, its not to hard to believe.

My range is just down the road from me. Its unattended and they charge a $5 fee. They have a locked metal box at the middle berm and run it on the honor system. Its about a half mile back in the forest from the main road and totally isolated.

I strap a loaded pistol on as soon as I exit my vehicle and its the last thing I put away when I leave.

·
Registered
832 Posts
With what the prices are of guns & ammo, and the increasing number of desperate herion/drug addicts you need to have a back up weapon at the range. The range I belong to is isolated and most of the time no or very few members there. I walk 100 to 200 yards to my targets to set and check and people have pulled into the range while I'm doing it. Leaving my car and guns vulnerable. I open carry my G20 every time. I might not be able to hit them from that distance but I bet I could scare them off if I needed to.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Interesting timing of this post. I belong to a state park range and just last week I decided that I should always have a side arm. I have never had an issue, but I decided that IF something ever happened, many times I have single shot loaded bolt guns or even Flintlocks, and I would be in some serious trouble.

I just purchased an XDS for this duty and from what I have seen so far, it will be PERFECT.

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
This has been on my mind for a while, and I guess I am curious on your thoughts on this.
The story is pretty simple and I will try to keep it short. A few months ago, I went to the outdoor gun range I am a member of and I was the only person there. While there, I shot up all my ammunition. I had just finished packing all my gear back into my truck when some car pulls into the range and stops right by me. Driver pulls down his window and something seemed... not right about the driver. Cant put my finger on it. Its just that my instinct told me that something about the guy wasn't right, my stomach got a real sick feeling, and I needed to leave. He started asking me some questions about the range, membership, etc. Meanwhile, I was completely unarmed, and with a truck full of very expensive guns. Fearing robbery, I mentally made an exfill plan and quartered my body as to suggest I may be armed while making my way to the truck. I answered his questions in a friendly manner and he left and nothing bad happened. Maybe I was paranoid, maybe not.
It got me to thinking. Maybe I should conceal carry at the gun range.
Then I started thinking that maybe many people do this already and I should have been smart enough to already be doing this.
I am big enough to admit when I have not used common sense.
So, I was curious about your own thoughts about concealed carry while at the gun range. Is it something which is commonly done, and encouraged? Or do most of you guys figure that the gun range is the last place to expect robbery and thing concealed carry is perhaps overly paranoid? For what it is worth, I plan to CC from now on regardless. Just wondering about your opinion and experience is all. I would appreciate your input and thought it might be fun for us to discuss.
THIS

X2....Meaning, Open Carry is Fine. CC BACKUP To OC IS FINER!

CAVman in WYoming

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Everywhere, but in bed. and then it's only an arms length away.

And when I exercise my cc at the range I always keep a full mag on me just in case.
Yep, especially when you've got long guns in your possession thugs would want to steal.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts

Chris Kyle was killed at a gun range.

And, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Me?

I take a gun into the BATHROOM.

Everyone may feel free to laugh, I don't care.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts