M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't sure where to post this question. I figured that a concealed firearm most likely to be a handgun, this subforum would be apropriate.

A friend and I are applying for concealed carry permits and we were having a discussion about the process. Personally, I believe the fact that I am required to get a permit in the first place is an infringement on my 2A right. That said we understand the need for criminal history background checks to keep felons and nutcases from carrying firearms. Our point of contention is not knowing how far your history is looked into or how much of your privacy they invade. I maintain that while our government is just plainly incompetent, they are obviously not above spying on our electronic communications, ala the NSA. When the FBI does its background check to determine your suitability for concealed carry, do they have the ability and/or the right to check on not only your criminal history, but your phone and internet history? Do they look at those things or do we need to loosen our tinfoil hats?

·
Registered
716 Posts
My impression from FFL training by BATFE is that it is a public records search only. Ohio uses the FBI for 4473 transfers, which is the same background check you will be going through.

·
Inquisitor
11,356 Posts
They aren't doing a background check like they do when they hire people. If they did, nobody would have a CCW license because it would take too long. All they do is make sure you aren't disqualified from owning/possessing a firearm due to mental health or criminal conviction reasons.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
What Garrard said. Also, unless I'm badly mistaken, I would expect that since you're applying for a state-issued license that the FBI is not involved in the back ground check. More likely it's either your local PD or Sheriffs Office, or the state Highway Patrol/Police/DPS.

·
Registered
7,081 Posts
From the Constituion of the State of Missouri.
Missouri Constitution
Article I
BILL OF RIGHTS
Section 23

Right to keep and bear arms--exception.
Section 23. That the right of every citizen to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person and property, or when lawfully summoned in aid of the civil power, shall not be questioned; but this shall not justify the wearing of concealed weapons.

I understand you feel your 2A rights are being violated, but the Missouri ( pronounced Misery) Constitution seems to have sufficient legal justification for the permitting process for concealed weapons.

If you have no felony convictions or domestic violence or mental health issues you should be good.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
And there is no background check (or license) required for openly carrying in most states, including Missouri.

Many states have restrictions only on those who conceal, forcing many to openly carry or not at all. Too bad many choose the latter.

·
Registered
62 Posts
And I would like to help clarify some things for you about the NSA. The media has been misleading the public terribly and to our great disservice.

In fact, after a good year of this wrangling over the NSA and Edward Snowden I would point out that the only thing that has happened of substance is that the American people do not know and understand the truth, because the media has them completely fooled, and that the Federal Government, as a result of all this, has now actually started doing exactly what they have been wrongly accused of doing, with the caveat that they are doing it to their own people who have security clearances. If complete electronic surveillance both at work and off work is the great evil, then it was started as a defensive effort by the Intelligence Services against their own employees to try and prevent another false hero like Edward Snowden causing such damage in the future.

The bulk meta data program is still running and will be for the next five years. It wasn't and isn't illegal. I could type about this for hours and I am sure I would never convince some of you so I will simply point out that the gulags aren't filling up, the brown shirts haven't been busting down doors, and no one is wearing yellow six pointed stars on their sleeves. The media has been so single-minded about their pursuit and misrepresentation of the NSA that the only thing they have managed to accomplish is push the government into creating the very thing that didn't exist previously, and that's sad irony.

Don't fret about your background check and enjoy your guns RNGR1

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What Garrard said. Also, unless I'm badly mistaken, I would expect that since you're applying for a state-issued license that the FBI is not involved in the back ground check. More likely it's either your local PD or Sheriffs Office, or the state Highway Patrol/Police/DPS.
In MO the county sheriff does a background check and takes your fingerprints, then they send it to the staties who also do a check. When that clears they send it off to the FBI for a nationwide criminal history record check.

I have never been involved in a felony in any state, so Im sure my record is clean. It's just the invasion of privacy issue of a possible phone/internet history scrutiny that my buddy and I are debating. He says they have and use the ability to do just that and I contend that the volume of data is just too much to make such a search possible.

·
Super Moderator
3,704 Posts
I had to get my "TS Clearance" in 2009 [as I work on Classified Contracts and Projects at Work] and just went through re-investigation which is required every 5 years.

I guess I am just used to it now [the initial TS process is pretty invasive] and don't even think about a criminal background check anymore. The last round they asked me why I did not pay a Georgia Power Bill in 2010 and I said "Hummmm -> I never had them as a power provider in Georgia" - My son has my same exact name [except he is the IV - the last 4 of his SS# is the same as mine???] and apparently he did not receive the final power bill when he finished college so they were asking me about it and wanted confirmation I would clear it up!

I thought that was interesting – I guess a few other things back in the 70’s slipped by!!

M1Army

·
Rest in Peace
908 Posts
AZ has both a CCW and legal concealed carry. My CCW allows me to carry any concealed weapons, not just a firearm. Neither the permit nor the paperwork that goes with it makes any mention of firearms, only "weapon". AFAIK the routine background check was performed because my CCW allows me to bypass the check when purchasing a firearm from and FFL.

But, I have a question for other AZ residents. I have never seen this discussed but does the AZ legal concealed statute also apply to other weapons?

Ray

·
Administrator
I lost all of my rifles & handguns in a mishap on Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
18,621 Posts
My CCW background check was done by the state of New Mexico (NM, State Criminal Investigation Division), not the Feds. or counties. CCW are issued by state only.

DI5

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Unless i am mistaken (don't think so) When they ran my prints for my NY CC and FL CW Permits they went through an FBI data base.
BTW
In NY the serial numbers of pistols owned are on your Permit . In FL TDGAS!

·
Registered
62 Posts
AZ has both a CCW and legal concealed carry. My CCW allows me to carry any concealed weapons, not just a firearm. Neither the permit nor the paperwork that goes with it makes any mention of firearms, only "weapon". AFAIK the routine background check was performed because my CCW allows me to bypass the check when purchasing a firearm from and FFL.

But, I have a question for other AZ residents. I have never seen this discussed but does the AZ legal concealed statute also apply to other weapons?

Ray
Ray, it's a good question and I don't have the answer for it. It would definitly be worth my time to check on as I always carry a rather robust letter opener tucked into my waistband.

I have referred this question to the Arizona State DPS, CCW Division. I'll report with an answer when they respond.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Here in KY the State Police do the initial background check and then run one per month on you while you have a CCW license. I assume they run your info through the NCIC computer system. Besides being allowed to carry concealed the monthly background check does away with the need to phone every gun purchase in.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
References

I had to list two (02) references for mine. Both were called and asked about my family life, hobbies, drinking habits, drug use, and......social media useage like FaceBook (I despise it) and some other ones. I applied at the courthouse through local Sheriffs, but State did the reference calls.

......$25.00 and a three week wait and my handsome mugshot was taken and a License To Carry was handed to me.

Too easy a process here if you ask me...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts