M14 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Is it NY that doesn't allow muzzle brakes? I thought the scout types were legal in CA. I don't know why people in those states bother with AR's and AK's since they have to be so neutured. Just get an M1A.

·
Premium Member
18,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just NY as far as I know. I experiment with barrels for a few years with no muzzle device for performance so I had a few left for projects. The one on this rifle is a medium weight 18.5" LRB/Criterion 1/10. Shoots under 1.5 moa and seems to shoot all ammo equally well so I am a happy camper.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Is it NY that doesn't allow muzzle brakes? I thought the scout types were legal in CA. I don't know why people in those states bother with AR's and AK's since they have to be so neutured. Just get an M1A.
CA allows brakes, but not flash hiders, because if you have enough flash, the really bad people can't use them.

While the M14/M1a type is by far my most favoritist, I think people in CA bother with the stupidity related to make both AR and AK types compliant with rules for non-assaulty classification for a whole lot of possible reasons. Some may want to have what they see in movies and video games, or as close as they can get, and some may want to take advantage of the flexible modularity and lego-like swap-a-lot of the AR platform, have something that utilizes more commonly available cheap cartridges, 'intermediate' versus 'full-power' cartrdiges, practice familiarity by cartridge platforms, or within the limits of legality, walk right up to the line to simply have what the government discourages.

·
Premium Member
18,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Had her out on the range for a hundred rnds worth. Remembered why I don't care for the wood handguards, barrel seems to get hot way faster with wood. Replaced it with one of my Black usgi fiberglass handguards. I like that much better. They may look more " period" correct with the wood, but at this point in my life function is way more important. Screw da wood.

·
Premium Member
18,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I like it much better with the fiberglass handguard. Anyone recognize the GLFS hardware? Don't think I have seen one of JYWolfe's creations on another rifle. I do use them on some of my compliant barrel assemblies.

T44 with fiberglass handguard 1.jpg
T44 with fiberglass handguard 2.jpg
T44 with fiberglass handguard 3.jpg
T44 with fiberglass handguard 4.jpg
T44 with fiberglass handguard 5.jpg

·
Registered
462 Posts
That barrel/muzzle would be considered NY compliant. However if you plan on bringing it to NY don’t forget the 10 round magazine!

·
Premium Member
18,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That barrel/muzzle would be considered NY compliant. However if you plan on bringing it to NY don’t forget the 10 round magazine!
Yep. No reason to go to NY. Only time I ever even pass through it is on the way to Camp Perry. CT has a 10 rnd mag limit also. We were " allowed" to declare what we owned before the new law went into effect and are sill " allowed " to possess the larger cap mags but are only " supposed to " load them to 10. Stupid is as stupid does.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts