M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I’ve been fairly quiet on the forum for a long time. I sold my M1A a couple of years ago and really missed having one. So I bought an SAI Loaded earlier this year and ordered a Blackfeather chassis and handguard for it. The rifle and parts all went to TonyBen for installation in the spring. He built it for me and shipped it back. While it was with him he added a few extras for me:

-Bula NM lugged flash hider
-Bula hammer
-ARMS scope mount

A couple of quick notes on the build:

The heavier barrel profile wouldn’t allow installation of the operating rod guide (even though Blackfeather indicated it would) without having to remove the barrel and turn it on a lathe to remove some material.

The set screw on the back of the handguard interferes with the scope mount. TonyBen had to order a flush fit screw to fix that problem.

Here are a few photos of the completed build. I used Warne QD rings for the Leupold VX6HD (1-6x24) scope. Stock and grip are Magpul, and the bipod is GG&G. Also installed is a Sadlak NM guide rod and Treeline spring. Sadly due to work and COVID I haven’t been able to shoot it yet. Hopefully soon!

·
Administrator
17,374 Posts
Very nice looking Rig garandfunk.

XXIV Corps

·
Premium Member
15,714 Posts
Bet you're going to enjoy it once you get in some range time.
Very nice.

·
NSR
1,465 Posts
garandfunk and all,

Nice looking build you have their...

Can't wait to hear a range report and accuracy test from it. What kind of barrel/weight/twist did you use?

Congrats on your new "baby".

Wes

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
16,406 Posts
That looks great! I bet it will shoot well too. :cool: Nice rifle, SIr!
m14brian

·
Registered
198 Posts
Drool worthy for sure.

I'm currently doing some saving for that chassis system, looking forward to hearing your range report!

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all! I hope to get to the range this weekend. No baseball game for my son, so my Saturday should be free. I'll report back!

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great looking rifle sir! I'm still debating with myself between the blackfeather and sage....
I had a standard M1A in a SAGE for a while. With a loaded magazine and bipod that rifle tipped the scales at almost 15 pounds. I haven't officially weighed this rig yet, but it feels lighter than the SAGE for sure. It's less bulky and a little more ergonomic, in my opinion. The SAGE was simple to assemble on my own, while the Blackfeather required some additional tools and gunsmithing experience that I wasn't equipped for or comfortable to do.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had a standard M1A in a SAGE for a while. With a loaded magazine and bipod that rifle tipped the scales at almost 15 pounds. I haven't officially weighed this rig yet, but it feels lighter than the SAGE for sure. It's less bulky and a little more ergonomic, in my opinion. The SAGE was simple to assemble on my own, while the Blackfeather required some additional tools and gunsmithing experience that I wasn't equipped for or comfortable to do.
[/QUOTE
My standard is mounted in an Archangel stock at the moment, dont cuss me, I think that I have decided on the Blackfeather chassis but I just installed a unitized gas system and Im not sure if that will work with the Blackfeather. Can you answer that for me?

·
Super Moderator
11,114 Posts
That was a nice rifle Here was my last group...

Some medium weight barrels have a different taper in relation to the roll pin slot. I had to extend the 0.800" diameter back a little bit until the operating rod guide would fit.

Tony.

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That would be a question for TonyBen! He’s officially responded to this thread directly above this post :)

Hey, I’m not gonna judge you on the Archangel stock. I’ve got a Scout/Squad on the UPS truck that I just bought here on the forum that’s sitting in one too haha

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That was a nice rifle Here was my last group...
View attachment 433962

Some medium weight barrels have a different taper in relation to the roll pin slot. I had to extend the 0.800" diameter back a little bit until the operating rod guide would fit. View attachment 433963

Tony.
And a fine job you did on it sir! My hopes were to finally get behind it at the range last weekend. But the honey-do’s got the best of me (story of my life).

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Hey, I’m not gonna judge you on the Archangel stock. I’ve got a Scout/Squad on the UPS truck that I just bought here on the forum that’s sitting in one too haha
I think there is a lot of backlash among those who love the JAE, some of it deserved if the cosmetics that cause many to mistake a JAE for an Archangel were actually copied (but nobody mistakes an Archangel for a JAE). I get it. As they are, I certainly wouldn't expect dropping one in is going to improve performance over a standard USGI with a good fit, but I guess you never know when you might get lucky.

But in the end it is just a stiffer than standard SAI synthetic stock that is relatively cheap, has a built-in cheek rest and adjustable length of pull, and in my experience, for some reason, quality control seems to be such that it's difficult to get one that's straight through the grip to the butt stock, and there is nothing more inherently precise about the fit than any 'regular' stock. It sure isn't a 'chassis' by any means. It is what it is. I don't think anybody should feel bad if that particular piece of plastic works out fine for them and they're happy with it. It's not like it's an indication of personal character or anything.

JD was telling me that they can be modified adding a front ferule and some bedding. When he's back at it, i'd like to send Yoko his way and see where he'd like to take her.

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think there is a lot of backlash among those who love the JAE, some of it deserved if the cosmetics that cause many to mistake a JAE for an Archangel were actually copied (but nobody mistakes an Archangel for a JAE). I get it. As they are, I certainly wouldn't expect dropping one in is going to improve performance over a standard USGI with a good fit, but I guess you never know when you might get lucky.

But in the end it is just a stiffer than standard SAI synthetic stock that is relatively cheap, has a built-in cheek rest and adjustable length of pull, and in my experience, for some reason, quality control seems to be such that it's difficult to get one that's straight through the grip to the butt stock, and there is nothing more inherently precise about the fit than any 'regular' stock. It sure isn't a 'chassis' by any means. It is what it is. I don't think anybody should feel bad if that particular piece of plastic works out fine for them and they're happy with it. It's not like it's an indication of personal character or anything.

JD was telling me that they can be modified adding a front ferule and some bedding. When he's back at it, i'd like to send Yoko his way and see where he'd like to take her.
The Archangel offers those aforementioned perks that may be all that people are interested in, and may be all they want. Obviously spending a couple hundred dollars on a stock isn’t going to afford a person the same that a JAE or other chassis system will, in terms of accuracy. Whatever blows your hair back!

I’ll keep the Archangel stock for my Scout. I’ve got M1Army building a USGI fiberglass stock for it that it’ll ultimately end up in, and go out in the field in when I hunt.

·
Registered
24 Posts
At the time, the archangel was what I could afford. But now Im in a position to get something better. Afetr taking a closer look at your rifle, I see that the Blackfeather uses the front band so my unitized system will work.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts