M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
3,070 Posts
I did have some problems out of the box with my '01 production Scout but SAI fixed everything under warranty.

My problems centered on the repro bolt and op rod that came with my rifle. I also had a rough bore that needed a good polishing.

I know have a GI bolt and op rod and the rifle is flawless 8)

·
Registered
143 Posts
They have had some QC issues, but they honor their warranty. I just bought another one.

You should try the SEARCH feature on this sight and you will learn more than you may care to know.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I can only speak for myself...

I currently have three Springfield Armory M1-A's and have owned several others through the years. I have never had any problems with any of them and, so far, have never seen or heard of another shooter having problems with their customer service. A lot of folks enjoy listening to the negative comments and spreading them around. I would not hesitate to purchase another from them.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I bought a Scout a while back,,its was a year old last May,,so comeing up on 2 yrs,,I've put over 1000rds through her and not a problem. It shoots like a dream. I know some have problems,,but I beleive MOST don't! Have a good one! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
7.62mm said:
hi

do u have any problems with youre SA M1A??
because i heard a lot of people saying SA isnt that good and so i wonder if i should buy my M1A from SA or not.

Please give me some advice!
I was in the same boat as you about a month ago. I read for weeks everything I could find on SA M1A's both good and bad. Some people would have you think when you purchase an M1A your taking a leap of faith. I went ahead and rolled the dice and purchased a Socom. The rifle has no USGI parts on it, they are all SA and I couldn’t be more pleased. This rifle just shoots. Ive never had a jam or FTF of any kind after about 500 rounds.
One more thing. I have an HRN trigger group that’s been polished and the pull is around 4.5lbs and it doesn’t come close to the SA trigger that came with my Socom. <~~~~~i couldn’t believe that either
Buy your M1A you have a lifetime warranty backing you up. The only potential for problems is if you intend on mounting a scope over the receiver. The SA receivers are notorious for not being to mil specs, but even this issue is solved with a Smith Ent mount.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got mine in 2001 and the only problem I had was with the bolt disassembling itself after ~20 rounds. I determined that the problem was with the extracter and rather than sending the whole rifle back to SAI for repair I bought another extracter from Fulton Armory. Comparing them side by side I could see that the detent dimple on the SAI extracter was too shallow. The rifle has functioned flawlessly after installing the Fulton extracter. :D

·
Registered
588 Posts
I have a serial number 143xxx Loaded M1A and it shoots and runs great. First thing I did was replace the extractor/ejector with USGI from Fulton Armory. Runs like a champ.

Plus, with the match barrel, I added a NM oprod guide and shimmed a unitized gas cylinder. Shoots 2MOA to 500 yards with Portuguese surplus ammo.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I bought my Standard M1A in November last year, and had to return it for warranty service after the first 80 rounds as it would jam every other round. It would also frequently, but not always, fail to extract the spent brass after firing.

I received the rifle back in about three weeks. For the first forty rounds or so, it worked ok, but after that the FTFs started to show up again, and by the end of the third box (60 rounds) we were back to failures every other round. The smith at the range I was at took a look and said either the bolt or the receiver was out of spec as there was a lot of slop in the action, especially side-to-side. Additionally, a chunk was missing from the receiver where the bolt would contact it each time it rotated into battery. With this, it was back to Springfield for the second time.

I received the rifle back from Springfield last week, and they replaced the receiver, the bolt, and the op-rod. The action was much smoother than before, and there was little if any side-to-side movement which caused the previous bolt to strike the receiver. And it ran through several boxes of ammo until it stopped somewhere after 40 rounds. The bolt would not rotate into battery completely. Upon inspection, I found a small clip which turned out to be the bolt roller clip. The bolt roller itself was gone, nowhere to been seen. So it's another trip to Springfield's service department.

Thus far, I am very disappointed with SA's quality, although their customer service group is great. However, that doesn't change the fact that the rifle has spent more time at SA than it has with me since I purchased it. I haven't been able to get through more than 40-50 rounds without a problem of some kind. Knock the "poodle shooters" all you want, but my Bushmaster (which was almost half the price) has consumed thousands of rounds without a hiccup. If I were to do it again, I'd pick up something other than an SA M1A based on my experience with them.

·
Registered
646 Posts
SA m1a problems

I bought my nm m1a from cabelas and it shot fine for a long time. The bolt roller finally took a powder, Fulton replaced it with a GI bolt and I've put several thousand rounds through it since. It's accurate as hell and cause I'm a lefty, I'd never even consider a pistol grip piece of s#$% from some foreign country. I'm saving for 1ea of Lou's & Clints [email protected]

·
Registered
266 Posts
I bought my SA M1A 2003, had a problem, they replaced the complete rifle. I is perfect as far as looks go. I've fired it about 400 times with no problem at all. It shoots far better than I can hold it. With hand loads off the bench it's a tack driver. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. Looks like SA sell 10 times more rifles than anyone else, I guess they should have 10 times the complaints. :lol:

·
Registered
16 Posts
You'll be pleased. I have two...a Loaded version and a Scout. I think what you hear is typical of any product or gun on any board. Those with problems are few but speak up making it sound like there are alot of problems. Saw several bulletin board surveys and the actual problems are few in comparison to the "shoots like a dream" reports.

Regards,

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.