M14 Forum banner

101 - 118 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
How about another barreled action? Like running a NM prepped 22in with a scope for the long distance stuff, and bringing a 16in barreled action with a red dot along in the ruck for the up close stuff. Not as heavy as a separate rifle and runs from the same ammo supply as the 22in barreled action. Just need time to swap the actions. And a sidearm to transition to if you have a malfunction on the rifle.
The point would be having the weapon handy. It's not like a barreled action in an EBR goes in like an upper on an AR. It takes time to settle into the stock.

If you're using an AR platform rifle, it's not like the mags are heavy. You could have 1 in the gun, and 3-4 in a pouch, and your mag pouch would weigh less than 4 lbs.

The ammo interchangeability discussion so far ITT is pretty meaningless. You're going to be carrying your ammo in mags, and whether they're UMP mags, Uzi mags, MP5 mags, AR mags, or Rem 700 mags, they're mags that aren't going to fit in any gun other than your secondary rifle/smg/whatever.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
11.5" bbl AR in 5.56 with an EOTech or a 9" bbl AR in 300 BLK with a suppressor.

Yep. Couldn't have put it more perfectly myself.

Dutch

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
There is another good option I don't believe has been mentioned. I've an Inglis produced Hi Power that takes a shoulder stock. It will take a longer barrel & higher capacity magazines. But the pistol will not handle +P ammo. But something like a MKIII which will handle the higher powered ammo set up for a shoulder stock & a 10-12" barrel for it could be a good choice.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Interesting question , CQB covers a lot of ground. Are you being over run ? walk into an ambush ? or entering buildings to clear / to name a few. Is the companion to be a replacement or a main weapon under certain circumstances ? CQB is probably a worst case situation most of the time. If the chips are down and the action is close what ever you use needs to be a fight stopper. Even a marginal hit needs to stop the enemy if at all possible. Sights may or may not be used. Most guns noted would work in a given situation and in most others in not the best choice. It should be a weapon you are intimate with . For me that would be a 12 ga. pump shotgun. Remington police magnum or Mossberg 590 . would work well.

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
I've seen a lot of pics of designated riflemen in Afghanistan & Iraq sporting 2 rifles. Their primary rifle would be the MK14 EBR; & often lashed on a single point sling, would be what looks like a M4 carbine with a 10" barrel. My guess is they carry this companion rifle for CQB situations.

What would you choose as a CQB companion rifle for your M1A? My 1st thought was the FN PS90. ONTOS
An M79.

The M79 is the answer to a lot of questions....

·
Registered
537 Posts
Personally I think a second rifle or shot gun would be to heavy and cumbersome. I think I’d rather have a couple good pistols velcroed to my shirt. Maybe 1911’s? And some grenades as well.

·
Registered
LRB M14 SA, Criterion Med Wt CL Barrel, all GI parts with basic upgrades.
68 Posts
I don’t know how many actual trigger pulling combat vets we have here, but TBH, Scorpion EVO3 as a second. First off, on a mounted to dismounted patrol, some of us are going to have 9mm pistols (m9 or m17). This equals ammo interchangeability. The few M14’s we still have in our arms rooms are in the DMR role. So if you are covered in the 200-800m range with your rifle, and 0-25 range with your pistol, we only need to cover the 25-200 range. Mp5? Nice but heavy. Uzi? Tank of a subgun but lacks the 100m+ accuracy of the MP5 when needed. MK18? Good ammo interchangeability with team members, but if you get caught alone, YOU are carrying 3 different types of ammo. And you better have your ****ing can on that thing if you aren’t firing in broad daylight. Easy way to shine your PVS-14s at night running open muzzle on that short of a barrel. Scorpion EVO3 = light, accurate, reliable, and on full auto is super controllable.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Anybody try 9mm+P on full auto in an UZI? Or MP5 for that matter?
MP5 will handle the Hirtenberger +P+! Even on full auto. I’m pretty sure the MP5 is roller lock and will take a beating like a nerdy kid in highscool

·
Registered
68 Posts
If the enemy is inside the blast range, the HE warhead won't arm and it becomes a 40mm solid shot.

:p
Blast range? HE and HEDP are centrifugal safety PD fuses. 3-4 revolutions will slide the striker safety check out of the way and the first impact will detonate.

·
Registered
723 Posts
A bit of history here so let me start by saying the designated marksman position allowed for a wide variety of choices. My youngest son was an 11B in Mosul and I had the opportunity to spend a week with him essentially embedded into his unit. He normally used an M14 EBR or a M4. He also carried a 12 gauge in the Hummer and could swap out based on the mission profile. He had access to a Barrett 50 cal but rarely carried it unless he was setting up a fixed post surveillance or ambush position.

The only type of weapon that he did not have available was a hand gun. That was odd because he periodically made entrances to buildings by climbing the exterior walls/balconies. Her was told that he did not need a pistol and at least twice made exterior entrance to occupied buildings with only a knife. I offered him my Glock but he said that his unit would not let him carry it since it was not issued equipment. He did engage in hand to hand a couple of time with building occupants but was able to physically subdue them. Note that he is 6' 4" and carried about 230 pounds of muscle at the time and was one of the unit's best ground fighting people.

Nelson

101 - 118 of 118 Posts