M14 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I am going to look at this as what I could carry realistically in my bug out bag or on me while carrying my m14

yes an AK or AR would be ideal for CQB by itself but to carry either one of those weapons seems unrealistic while carrying an M14. the weight in ammo and guns would be too much

So today If I had to bug out and carry 2 rifles the second rifle would be a 10/22 takedown so that it will carry easily in my bag.

An MP5 or 7 or uzi will work also but they are hard to find so in a real world domestic bug out situation it would definitely be a .22 for me.
A 10/22 weighs 7.5 lbs. An MP5 weighs 7.2 lbs. A Mk18 (no optics, like the other two) weighs 6 lbs. A standard Colt 6920 weighs 6.9 lbs.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
more info

average weight on Winchester 70 6lbs 12 oz. , Remington 700 7 lbs. 2 oz.

Ruger 10/22 takedown 4lbs. 7 oz carbine 5 lbs.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I am going to look at this as what I could carry realistically in my bug out bag or on me while carrying my m14

yes an AK or AR would be ideal for CQB by itself but to carry either one of those weapons seems unrealistic while carrying an M14. the weight in ammo and guns would be too much

So today If I had to bug out and carry 2 rifles the second rifle would be a 10/22 takedown so that it will carry easily in my bag.

An MP5 or 7 or uzi will work also but they are hard to find so in a real world domestic bug out situation it would definitely be a .22 for me.
This is why I bought my Kriss Vector in the first place. Relatively light weight, compact(with the stock folded, it is about the same dimensions as a laptop), and it bridges some gaps between pistol and M1A.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I'm already in a committed relationship...

Reactions: USSF06

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Well, the Kriss is some high speed tacticool s__t all right.

For the real world econo budget minded folks, something running a pistol cartridge in common with your side arm would be my choice. Since they don't do an AR upper in 45 acp that I am aware of, I am thinking a Kel Tec folder running Glock mags would be the cheap new gun buy way to go. Throw a used Aimpoint on that, and you are good to go.

Since I don't have that in the safe, it would be the Marlin Camp 45 carbine for me. It would be real easy for me to carve up a synthetic Model 60 22 cal folding stock to work with that action.

Money no object, create a Saiga 12 ga SBR with a stack of drums in a little red wagon.

Or, a belt fed 5.56 pistol with a Sig arm brace along with a back pack full of 100 round nut sacks.

Or, a rotary mag 40mm grenade launcher - also with a little red wagon chock fulla extra loaded drums.

Reactions: USSF06

·
Registered
2,609 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
I had to register it, but it was worth it, and it is a .45 ACP like me and the woman's pistols, so ammo compatibility was definitely a factor. Plus, it's just so sexy!

·
Registered
844 Posts
If these new Chiappa 9mm M1 Carbines were life and death reliable, http://www.chiappafirearms.com/product/2679 , that's what it would be as a secondary CQB type rifle with an M1A1 paratrooper stock. Cause I have plenty of mags, ammo, and two Beretta 92s to go with it.

In reality, it would be my Marlin Mod. 60 and a few trays of CCI minimags. That rifle would bring home the groceries for the family when I'm out hunting instead of kicking in doors and CQB-ing with the bad guys.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
There is a guy in Macon ga that builds di 45acp uppers. Lookin in the ar section on ar15.com
Any way to be more specific? I'm not a member there to be familiar with where things are, and most of that site is the "AR section."

A DI would be interesting indeed for a .45 AR.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ok, I'm fair game here.....I saw a guy at my range, years ago.... had an AR set up like a M-4. chambered in 10mm.
If , There are some available , well made, & ultra reliable.... ( mil spec....or better) the #1 choice, for me.
Must be worked over by wizard gunsmith.

¡ Olympic Arms ¡ may still make them to order.... as I believe the one I saw , was. Any one know, or have one , in 10mm?

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
And Ron Williams builds there uppers. It's a great fix, has Been proven. If I had the scratch I would go with either of the 2. Mad machinist is not too far from me so most likely would be him though.

61 - 80 of 118 Posts