M14 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering if anybody can answer a question I have about taking a PT test, heres my situation. I have to go take a PT test for the Army ( New Mexico National Guard). I have been in for almost 3 years, I have 2 months left on my contract with the Guard and have not received my Enlistment Bonus. I used my chain of command, notified the 1st SGT, called the bonus Sgt. and have not recieved it. I finally went to the Inspector General to have it resolved. I guess he made some phone calls and chewed some rear ends. The SGM called me into his office on my day off. I went in uniform and answered all the questions with Sergant Major. Apparently I failed a PT test and was flagged back in 2008, but I was never notified of it. I was never given a copy of my PT card or anything. Since then I have past every PT test given, before and after AIT, during WTC, during a deployment to Iraq, and one given on the mission I'm currently with.

SGM says I have to go take a PT test with their company because the ones I have taken and passed are not good enough for him, and that I need to take it before I get paid my bonus money. I read over my contract and no where does it say I need to take a PT test to get paid. It says I need to be in good standing with the Guard. Which I am if you read my NCOER's.

I'm thinking him making me take a PT test is his way of getting back at me for going to the IG. Is there a Reg or anything for me read up on or is the Commander in the right for having me take a test? I know of other Soldiers that have received their bonus money on time with no problems. Some of them have not passed their PT test yet nothing has happened to them. I hate to think this but with my name being non-hispanic but the other Soldiers names being hispanic, they are being racist. Of course there is no way to prove it but from my point of view its what it looks like.

Any advice or anything will be of great help.

·
"Death From Above"
11,642 Posts
I'm sorry I can't give you a straight answer but you best bet would be to talk to the JAG officer and maybe not even the one associated with your post. It's a funny thing the discrimination that goes on in the service. A good buddy and I were subject to it when we were in training. We made it through 14.5 months of training only to each fail a block that would get us both reclassed. I said bs and went to the col. It was found out that we were not the first this happened to and sgt pozgay and zhemish were sent to Korea on a hardship tour. We were allowed to retake the exam and we both got 100% and graduated with our class. It's a crying shame we NYers have a bad rap. Thank god when I got out of tradoc that stuff was not so prevelant. See what the jag officer has to tell you. If you know you can pass the dam thing maybe it would be wise to just bang it out and keep your mouth shut for now and figure crap out later. It's a funny system in some units.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Your commander, or his representatives in the chain of command, can make you take a PT test anytime he wants. He can make you take it at midnight in the rain. He can make you take the test over and over, back to back until you puke, and then make you take another one.

As far as not receiveing your bonus, that's a separate contract issue. If you have met the conditions of the contract you should get your bonus, no ifs ands or buts...

Hope you don't mind me intruding in the Privvy, I was passing by... MCORPS1

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm sorry to hear that man. It sucks that just cuz you're from NY you got the bad rap. I dont want to claim racisim but I just want to be treated fair. If i have to take a PT test i will. But I shouldnt be punished for going to the IG when they are the ones who messed up on my pay issue. The IG even states I should have any worry of punishment or repercussions for going to them as long as I followed my Chain of command and have a valid complaint. If the SGM is making me take a pt test, whats the reason?? I passed mine in SEPT this year so I dont see a reason to take another. If its to punish me for going to the IG then again they are in the wrong.

·
"Death From Above"
11,642 Posts
As 2336USMC they can do what they want it does nit matter if they are wrong or right you have to follow the order then figure it out if yiu think they are doing something unjust. Take the test and smoke it. Then see if they have anymore crap to dish out. Are you even due for the test? Is it a condition of your srb? I never knew what pt test was the one for the records we took one seems like every month. My last CO thought he was a West Point track star. He held the record for the run until I got a little guy from TX in my squad that ran a 4:11 mile in hs. He smoke the CO lol and did it everytime he had to run. He was like the wind.
Scott your welcome anytime not like I own the place but come on by!

·
Registered
379 Posts
My advice is to just take the test, as the others have said. I think you would be creating more issues for yourself by doing otherwise and going to another person on the matter.
And as far as the reverse racism, I know EXACTLY what you're talking about. I was a white MP and got sent to Germany to guard Pershing missiles. We didn't have an MP company, they just threw you in with the missile jockeys. Most of the NCO's skin was darker than mine, they were from the inner city, I was a cop and white, and they were in charge of me. It was a recipe for disaster and my time at that place was sheer hell. Funny how things work out because I was eventually sent back to the states, along with a lot of people from my base in Germany, and was allowed to be a cop in a real MP company. Several of the NCO's who went out of their way to mess with me in Germany I ended up arresting for either drunk driving or domestic violence. It was funny, all of them had a bad habit of tripping and falling down while on the way to the lock-up.
The moral of the last paragraph is that you should suck it up and drive on, things will turn!

Motown out

ARMY1

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
One of my TaeKwon-Do instructors, a 19-year old (very gifted but full of himself,) joined the Navy (hey, I told him not to...) and, now, on Facebook he moans and complains about being told to do this and to do that and how it makes no sense and how he's not going to let the Navy tell him what to do.

I always give him my 2 cents worth: you BELONG to the Navy now, THEY tell you what to do, not the other way around, and you are only digging yourself a hole to bury yourself in the more you complain and the more you fight the system.

I would tend to agree with the others, just take the silly PT test and be done with it. While you have every right to go to the IG, as soon as they start sniffing around your unit your SGM and Commander are going to go into defensive mode trying to cover their butts. They cannot afford to be found negligent in this 'zero defect' army of today. And then they are going to take it out on you. You may be right, but they are in charge. They do have the ability to order you to take a PT test (or pee test, or qualification, or skills test) anytime they want in the name of training in much the same way they can waive that test.

Money is money, someone somewhere should be able to give you a definitive answer on your enlistment contract and the bonus, just be careful who's toes you step on in your quest.

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you are flagged from a failed PT test, you are not in good standing. It appears your failed PT test set off the flag. Normally, all that needs to happen is that one of your previous "for record" PT tests should be forwarded to NGB, and the flag lifted. usually PT test in country are not for record. The fact that you do not keep copies your PT tests is a bad sign. When was your last advancement/promotion? Had to of been prior to 2008 when the flag popped up.

Just take the PT test. If you are afraid you are going to fail, read the PT manual very carefully in regards to how much advanced warning is required prior to taking a "for record" PT test. And from here on out, keep copies of everything, especially your PT card.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah i was flagged in 08 but have kept my pt cards the last 4 pt tests. I turned them into my readiness NCO and he says that these aren't good enough as they were not given from my parent company, that I need to take one with him as its given to their standard (I call BS on that) they were all given to Army standard. This was all told to me by a guy that looks like he cant pass weight and tape, and a half eaten bear claw on the table. I recieved some advice from a 1SG in a different state and was given a refrence of AR 135-7 and AR 135-91. It no longer has the PT flag as a reason to not pay out my sign on bonus. I think that AR was signed years and years ago. But anyways I have been trying to set up a date to go take the PT test but my phone calls havent been returned. So we'll see whats up this week. I still think its punishment for contacting the IG. lol... Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
You are probably right that he's [email protected]@#in with you. But you know how the game is played so just suck it up and Soldier on. You're better than that.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Now you know why "Friendly Fire" exists,lol.

When I was an ARNG Recruiter, most bonuses were paid at 50% upon completion of AIT, and 25% at the completion of your 2nd anniversary date, and the remainder (25%) on your 3rd anniversary date. There were exceptions for "delayed entry" or "split training" individuals.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Yeah i was flagged in 08 but have kept my pt cards the last 4 pt tests. I turned them into my readiness NCO and he says that these aren't good enough as they were not given from my parent company, that I need to take one with him as its given to their standard (I call BS on that) You are in no position to call BS... seems YOU'RE the one not getting paid they were all given to Army standard. This was all told to me by a guy that looks like he cant pass weight and tape, and a half eaten bear claw on the table. It doesn't matter if he was the size of a house, and what does the guy's size matter to you, anyway? I recieved some advice from a 1SG in a different state and was given a refrence of AR 135-7 and AR 135-91. It no longer has the PT flag as a reason to not pay out my sign on bonus. I think that AR was signed years and years ago. But anyways I have been trying to set up a date to go take the PT test but my phone calls havent been returned. So we'll see whats up this week. I still think its punishment for contacting the IG. lol... Thanks for the help guys.
Man up, take the PT test (administered by your own unit) and pass it.

Keep your mouth shut and your thoughts to yourself. Being a junior soldier with opinions will only get you in trouble.

Look... you are being viewed by your chain of command as a marginal soldier. That's how they see it. PT failure, flagged, never took the initiative to get the flag removed (and guess what, it doesn't matter if you say they never notified you of it, as it is YOUR career, YOUR personnel records, and YOUR flag)

Excuses won't get your flag lifted, opinions about some admin soldier's weight won't get your pay any faster.

I could say some rough comments like quit sniviling, clean the sand outta your crack, and drive on. But I won't. Instead, I've taken the time to tell you what to do. Take the test. Pass it. Go to the chain of command with it. Get the flag lifted. Then get outta the Army. It is clear they don't like you, and it is also just as clear that you don't like it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)

Keep your mouth shut and your thoughts to yourself. Being a junior soldier with opinions will only get you in trouble.

Look... you are being viewed by your chain of command as a marginal soldier. That's how they see it. PT failure, flagged, never took the initiative to get the flag removed (and guess what, it doesn't matter if you say they never notified you of it, as it is YOUR career, YOUR personnel records, and YOUR flag)

Excuses won't get your flag lifted, opinions about some admin soldier's weight won't get your pay any faster.

I could say some rough comments like quit sniviling, clean the sand outta your crack, and drive on. But I won't. Instead, I've taken the time to tell you what to do. Take the test. Pass it. Go to the chain of command with it. Get the flag lifted. Then get outta the Army. It is clear they don't like you, and it is also just as clear that you don't like it.

I'm guessing you're a SGM or a 1SG. LOL..
I took the PT test back in Dec passed with a 289 or 290 cant remember exactly. SGM said " well looks like we can pay you now that you passed" I said " SGM I thought AR 135-7 states that bonuses are to be paid with a PT flag or not " His face went from a smirk to an oh crap because he knew that it was BS when he told me that I didnt get paid because of a PT flag. I didnt want to be an A-hole and tell the IG the SGM isnt following an Army Regulation, but I did want to let him know that I knew what he told me was wrong. If he would have told me " lets have you take a PT test with us so we can have it in our records" I would have had no problem taking it. But instead he lied to me.

Yes, it is my records that I should keep track of. Before this incident when I went to my unit to make a copy of my personel jacket to go to a school, my PT card wasnt in there. It never crossed my mind that there should have been one in there until this whole incident. I do have all the copies of other PT cards. When I went to go update my jacket and put in these new copies, I did see a PT card in there with a failing score, but no where on it was my signature. Just a stamp saying "SM unavailable to sign"

Maybe I am a marginal soldier to them, in my opinion I dont think so. My NCOER's are excellence's and success, my evaluations from the Navy are all must promote, and early promote. When they need a medic for some event, they know I'll do it if nobody else will. They needed a medic for this last tour to Iraq. Every medic from my unit declined to go. I went, even though I was on the no deployment list as I returned from Iraq 2 years earlier with the 2nd MEG in Fallujah and Ramadi. They needed another medic for this mission I'm currenty on, guess who volunteered. Do I think I deserve special favors because I went?? Of course not, I just wanted to be treated fairly, and be paid what I was promised.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Just eat the sh** and grin while doing so. You are fighting a losing battle and your NCO probably thinks you are being an "outhouse lawyer". DI5

·
Inquisitor
11,356 Posts

Most of the time that would be good advice but I think you're missing the point. The point is that bonuses are not forfeit because of APFT's. And you can blame the soldier for not managing his own career but is he to blame for not being counseled when he was flagged without his knowledge as regulation calls for? And if he was flagged that close to ETS, was he barred from reenlistment as regulation calls for and counseled for that? I think it's obvious that this is a case of "leaders" being passive aggressive because they resented someone using the IG when they wouldn't do their jobs. And whether he's a marginal soldier or not, that's no excuse for ignoring regulations. And I think anyone who spends enough time in the Army eventually clashes with the CoC eventually, which doesn't necessarily mean the Army doesn't like you. And if porsche2nr didn't like the Army, he probably wouldn't have reenlisted.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Since when is a PT test in 2008 relevant to anything, when you've passed everyone since? Besides when I was in you were required to take a retest within 30 days. So wtf? Sounds like someone is just being an Ahole since they can be.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts