M14 Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Buy yourself a case gauge from Dillon, Brownells, or other places to set up your press with. I've done this with 5.56 and 7.62 just to be on the safe side. Wilson 7.62/.308 gauge & Dillon 5.56 case. Use some imperial sizing die wax to lube cases and resize until they fit properly into the case gauge. Use cleaned fired cases and not new cases to do this. I have had new cases undersize. Good luck. Reloading supplies may come back in the near future, just have every thing ready when they do.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hello troops

Current events have pushed me to reconsider my abandonment of the reloading arts, some 40-odd years ago.

So, to shorten the curve, I am looking for recommendations on various powders for reloading '06 and 7.62/.308.
Any universal choices?

Hoping to buy some before it all disappears, so time is not inconsequential.

Thanks!
I will also say IMR 4895 as my first, second, and third choices, and if it is not available that is not a problem because when it IS on the shelves, I buy 2~3 times the amount that I think I will need.

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
16,679 Posts
Stores are becoming lazy A-holes too, I'm looking for 8 Lb of 4064 and it's "in store pick up" the few I've seen that have it. If Trump wouldn't have been scammed in the election, it would be free shipping free hazmat.
m14brian

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hello troops

Current events have pushed me to reconsider my abandonment of the reloading arts, some 40-odd years ago.

So, to shorten the curve, I am looking for recommendations on various powders for reloading '06 and 7.62/.308.
Any universal choices?

Hoping to buy some before it all disappears, so time is not inconsequential.

Thanks!
The popular powered are hard to fine, so you may be interested in trying less poplar ones that work well. Out of my .308 Palma rifle I have used 760 and 748 in the Palma matches with good result at all three distances. Bullet weights are 180mk; 185 Lapuan; 190 Hornady. I don't know how well 760 works with lighter bullets. Just a thought.

·
Registered
11,254 Posts
Extruded powders burn clean and efficient. IMR 3031, 4895 and 4064 for light, medium and heavy bullets, respectively.

Use high quality, full length dies, such as RCBS competition.

For the next 6 months or so, you may have to settle for any components you can find.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts