M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello troops

Current events have pushed me to reconsider my abandonment of the reloading arts, some 40-odd years ago.

So, to shorten the curve, I am looking for recommendations on various powders for reloading '06 and 7.62/.308.
Any universal choices?

Hoping to buy some before it all disappears, so time is not inconsequential.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Ya , you picked a heck of a time to start into reloading . I use Ramshot Tac, IMR 4895 , IMR 4064 & Hodgdon Varget for 308 & IMR 4064 for 30'06 , but plan on trying IMR 4350 for 30'06 next year.

You may be able to find IMR 4064 out there , last I looked .

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
My friend, just checked Precision Reloading here in South Dakota, where I get most of my reloading supplies, they are "OUT OF STOCK " for ALL primers-pistol, rifle, and shotgun. Brass is $85-90/100 Remington. They seem to have most powders in stock-in 8lb containers. So I would say, if you don't already have a stock of primers - you're SOL for reloading anything.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Hello troops

Current events have pushed me to reconsider my abandonment of the reloading arts, some 40-odd years ago.

So, to shorten the curve, I am looking for recommendations on various powders for reloading '06 and 7.62/.308.
Any universal choices?

Thanks!
Powder don't go bad stored properly. Got any left? Primers?

Good luck finding components with gun grabber Joe in the wings.

Might even be time to scrounge brass at the range if you don't have a stash of that.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Anything near the IMR4895 burn range would work for what you want... just a matter of finding it on the shelves.

As others have mentioned... you picked a terrible time to try to get back into reloading.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
H4895 or Imr 4895 Imr 4064. Those 3 will cover your needs. Primers are out there if you look hard enough. Just need to be fast with your wallet. Looking in all the small shops is the best way to find them.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
reconsider my abandonment of the reloading arts, some 40-odd years ago.
Hmmm, seems that we all suggest the same stuff that worked well 40 years ago.....Except for Varget, which wasn't around 40 years ago.

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
I use IMR 4895 for my milsurps and am lucky enough to have a few primers laying around. None to be had on the market that I've seen.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thanks to all who have responded. My prior experience was pretty limited, hand loading .44 mag for my Rugers using a Lee set up. Did buy a Rock Chucker press, but never set it up.

I have been searching, and have a member who has some Hodgdon BL-C(2) powder. It looks like this will work. Any insight or cautions on going this route until things settle?

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Make sure you get the shoulder correct on bottleneck cases when you start reloading those. That's important to headspace. (Especially if new to those)

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
With bottleneck cases, the most typical trouble is resizing the case so it will easily fit into the chamber. If the bolt does not reliably FULLY close on a resized case, then the likely solution is to lower the resize die a little bit. The RCBS Rock Chucker is a very sturdy press, but even it might have a little flex. If you question whether the resize die can be lowered, LOOK for a gap between the top of the shell holder and the bottom of the die when there is a case BEING resized.

If you already own or have access to resize dies, then try them. Sometimes 'regular' resize dies do not reduce the case body diameter small enough for an 'easy fit' into the chamber of a semi-auto. A 'small base' resize die might be needed. If you need to buy a die without prior checking, then I suggest getting a SB to begin with.
Jay

·
Registered
3 Posts
You can't go wrong with IMR 4064 or Varget. Grab an up-to-date reloading manual. I like the Lyman 50th edition because it notes the (potentially) most accurate loads.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello troops

Any universal choices?

Thanks!
H-4895 meters fairly well, better that the longer stick powders.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts