M14 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me what the guns came finshed in. Blued, Parkerized, nickle, etc?
Was it the same for the Frame & Slide, or two different metals?

Also does Colt, have a factory re-finishing program if the gun needs it?

If anyone has some experience with these, I would sure welcome any insight.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Those came standard from the factory in blued, nickel, Coltguard (high strength matte electroless nickel) and stainless steel.

I've never seen a two-tone version, personally. Colt does have refinishing services. Also, you can usually get the same quality finish done by someone else for a lot less money than sending it back to the factory.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate the info. The gun belongs to a colleague of mine who got it from his father. He doesn't know much about it and I don't either, so I told him I would enquire to get some better answers.

Based on the info above, the gun is blued. I haven't seen it personally, but he mentioned that the finish seemed a bit matte, which is why I asked if it was parkerized.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
It might be two tone if it's a Mustang Pocketlite with the aluminum frame and steel/SS slide...

Edit: Just did a little Googling cuz you got me more curious about my Mustang Nitelite. The Nitelite is apparently one of several Custom Shop models, and I see mention of Lady Elite, Southern Belle, and maybe more variations. Some of them are two-tone, so you have opened up a can of worms. You might have to check the slide markings carefully to see if it's a standard Mustang or a Custom Shop variation.

FWIW my Nitelite is brushed stainless slide on a matte gray aluminum frame.

Here's a thread with pics on a 1911 forum:

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=204094

1 - 6 of 6 Posts