M14 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have 2 colt derringers that i got from my grandfather. They are both .41 cal. I know that colt started production in 1870 and stopped in 1975 I believe. What I need to know is where I can find the serial number on these. They are both roundbarrel and have the name colt stamped on the top of the barrel. I have looked at the locking mechanism and no serial number and at the outside of the frame and no serial number. One is blue/brass and the other completely nickle. There is no evidence on either one that the serial number has been removed. I was wondering if anyone has any info on these and if they know where to find the serial number on them or even if they had some. Also I have a Southerner Derringer that is brass/blued with an ocagon barrel also .41 cal. Just was wondering if anyone has any info on these derringers. Thanks.

· Rest in Peace
21,520 Posts
I believe prior to 1936 Firearms Act serial numbers weren't required as there was no registration. So there may be no serial number. But you may find a serial number under the grips.
It is possible to find .41RF ammo but you will pay a premium for it.

HH

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah I am kinda lucky on the ammo part. I have a ziploc bag full of the .41 cal rimfire. I called colt the other day and the lady I talked to said that they all had serial numbers. I havent had a chance to pull the grips off to see if there is a serial number under there though. Thanks. Also are these guns hard to find or fairly common?

· MGySgt USMC (ret)
7,047 Posts
yeah I am kinda lucky on the ammo part. I have a ziploc bag full of the .41 cal rimfire. I called colt the other day and the lady I talked to said that they all had serial numbers. I havent had a chance to pull the grips off to see if there is a serial number under there though. Thanks. Also are these guns hard to find or fairly common?
Is it a "Thuer" model single barrel or a cloverleaf model derringer? You may want to view this link:

http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/admin/show_inventory.php?catID=13&subcatID=156

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I looked at your link Gus and how can you tell the difference? I looked at the hammer it seems to stand up strait on the thuer model. Mine kind of has a curv at the top, but i have seen people claiming that some of the ones that look like mine are thuer models as well. So whats the difference?

@ huntinghawk - The value of the gun would be neat but I would never sell it. I am really just trying to find out how old the gun is. He also has a bunch of shotguns in there but I have that thread listed in the shotgun part of the forum.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.