M14 Forum banner

Colt AR15

9K views 46 replies 24 participants last post by  missilegeek 
#1 ·
Ok everyone, A lot of guys I shoot with tell me I have to have an AR in my safe if SHTF transpires. Hopefully not. If it would I know my M1A would take care of me. My thoughts on this are to get an LE- M4 and stick it in the back of the safe or pick up a 20" bbl. rifle so I might be able to punch paper at some distance. Service Rifle. I would like the lower to say Colt on the side , so what are my options. A new AR or look for an older H-Bar. I put the AR type rifles out of my mind since the early 80's mainly because of the weak round so I'm trying to catch up. Thanks all.

#2 ·
I was in the same boat as you, over many, many years I had no use for a rifle caliber that did not start with 30 but I finally realized that I needed something and it recently came down to cost, you can find and or reload .223 a whole lot cheaper than .308/30.06

As far as Colt there are lots of choices but I have to ask why does it have to say Colt ? there are ton'e of good AR Companies out there like Windam, Spikes, PSA, S&W etc... that make a quality Milspec AR that will provide you with years of trouble free service.

#19 ·
I was in the same boat as you, over many, many years I had no use for a rifle caliber that did not start with 30 but I finally realized that I needed something and it recently came down to cost, you can find and or reload .223 a whole lot cheaper than .308/30.06
And you can carry a whole lot more 5.56 than 7.62

#3 ·
Stag Model 2 shooter here. It doesn't say colt but I trust is just as much as my issues service rifle that does say colt.

#4 ·
Thanks, oh I guess I'm still an odd one that still like Colts and Winchesters. I'm primarily a hunter and after I was issued way back when the 5.56 or .223 and seeing what it wound do on deer size game before and after I had no use for it. Not to say it don't work on critters that walk on their hind legs and the right sercomstances. I've just started in on service rifle match shooting and the AR seams to be taking the day and wanted to try and get a quick up. I guess my budget would be around 1200.00. I guess it wouldn't have to be a Colt but that's my preference. Thanks again. Dan

#5 ·
Build your own

Not sure why it has to say Colt on the side?....but...

Look through some catalogs like Brownell's or Midway USA for starters. You will see how easy it is to build a basic AR15. Also, building it the way you want is more cost effective. Why buy a complete rifle to change parts out and have them laying around? Build what you need.

#6 ·
When it comes to AR15/M4 style rifles there are a lot of good choices. The Colt 6920 is a great choice for a handy, defensive SHTF or just plinking everyday rifle. It can be light and compact, without all the extraordinary junk some people mount on them. The 20" HBAR's can be great tack drivers and serve the function as a rifle in time of need, they are not as light and handy as a 6920/M4 style but will serve the function quite well.

#7 ·
Well maybe I should start this over without my shortcomings. I guess what I'm looking for would be the most accurate service rifle for the buck to start with. Something I won't have to change parts on right away. Something that will shoot better than I can. If that helps . Thanks

#8 ·
I prefer Old School...I have not got into the New Flat top designs, because I wanted something that I don't have to worry about in SHTF Scenarios. I won't have a source pool of available items and arms length. I think the 20" barrel ideology is a good one.
If you can't find A Colt AR15A2 HBAR Like this one:

Perhaps you can find a BFI, XM15E2S like this one: (By the way I would sell this one)

#10 · (Edited)
Howdy OP,
I go back to when COLT was virtually the only choice available. There has never been a better time to own an AR15/M16/M4 than right now. The rifles/carbines themselves are very accurate/user friendly, especially the flat top models for ease of mounting optics. We did not have this option in the '60s/'70s but it is very useful now that optics are pretty much the rule among our group as we are now in our 60s/70s. In addition, ammunition technology has changed significantly for the better in the past decade or so: lots of very good choices. Proof of my claim? I took a Colt 16" 6940 carbine to the range to function test/sight in last Thanksgiving: 0.9" (5) shot group with 77gr. SMK OTM based BHA MK 262 MOD 1 and 1.6" (5) shot group with the SSA 5.56MM 70gr. TSX (a commercial equivalent of the 70gr. 5.56MM Optimized Brown Tip cartridge). A 4.5x14x50 Leupold scope & an M4 can were mounted to shoot groups. I chose the 6940 because it has a free floating 1x7 twist barrel & a monolithic one piece upper. But there are MANY other very good choices. My next AR style rifle or upper will almost certainly be a 20" Colt AR15-A4 flat top or a 20" FN FN15 flat top. Would prefer a 20" factory FF style upper. Already have a Colt A2 HBAR but it is pretty much limited for mounting optics. God willing and the creek don't rise, you too will probably get to the point you need optics to keep them tight.

Good luck!

Upgraded A2s: The one on the bottom has an early Colt 6940 16" 1x7 upper on it. The 18" 1x7.7 full heavy SS Krieger on the top is quite capable of headshots with MK 262 or mag length 77gr. SMK AMU loads all the way out to 750yds. in good conditions. I first competed with the then standard 1x12 twist AR15/M16 in the late '70s never dreaming the platform and its ammunition would be developed to this level.

#12 ·
Nothing wrong with going Colt, plus if you ever decide to sell it the resale will be much much higher then a pieced together rifle.

Reactions: Dsc
#21 ·
Stag Arms, Bushmaster, Windham, PSA, etc!!!

#17 ·
Colt 6920 or the new AR-15A4.

I own an old green box Colt AR-15A2 Government Model that I treasure just because of its history with me and the fact that it was the closest civilian version to an issue M16A2 ever made.

Now, with the AR-15A4 available, it's not the closest civilian version anymore. The AR-15A4 is. I may have to buy one.

#22 ·
Thanks all, I've been cramming today and it looks like the RRA would do it for me. I see they claim 3/4 groups MOA which is better than I can shoot so that's great. What kind of benched groups could I expect from a new Colt A4 ? For now I'll only be shooting to 200 but if the eyes will do it I'm working up to 600.

#23 ·
I have consistently had many chrome lined Colt AR barrels put 5 round groups into 1" average at 100 yards with quality ammo, i.e. anything with Sierra bullets. Milsurp FMJ ammo will be 2-3" groups, but that's the ammo not the rifle.

I would expect the same from a new Colt A4.

The last time I shot in competition, I beat every match grade AR on the long yard line, and a few match bolt guns, shooting a Colt chrome lined HBAR. The only guys that outscored me that day were a few guys from the full-time Navy rifle team shooting fully match-prepped M14 rifles. So, even a chrome lined Colt is capable of match-winning accuracy.

#25 ·
I have consistently had many chrome lined Colt AR barrels put 5 round groups into 1" average at 100 yards with quality ammo, i.e. anything with Sierra bullets. Milsurp FMJ ammo will be 2-3" groups, but that's the ammo not the rifle.

I would expect the same from a new Colt A4.

The last time I shot in competition, I beat every match grade AR on the long yard line, and a few match bolt guns, shooting a Colt chrome lined HBAR. The only guys that outscored me that day were a few guys from the full-time Navy rifle team shooting fully match-prepped M14 rifles. So, even a chrome lined Colt is capable of match-winning accuracy.
If it was between '88-'91......they were nerds....; )

But if so....did you shoot any PACFLT?

#26 ·
Yes, that was the PACFLT 2003 match at Camp Pendleton, the last time I was able to shoot a match on active duty. I retired about a month later.

But, so as not to derail the thread, my point to the OP is that a chrome lined Colt is still a very accurate rifle by any standard. A rifle like an RRA NM, or a Compass Lake or White Oak with a non-chrome lined SS match grade barrel will almost certainly be able to prove better groups off of bench rest or in the hands of a really really good shooter, but not in any way that a typical guy will ever see in the field.

I have shot 10 rounds of issued M855 Lake City ammo out of an issued Colt M16A2 into 2 MOA on an E silhouette at 500 yards and have the data books to prove it. That's not benchrest, that's real world and plenty good enough.

#28 ·
I have almost identical 6920 and 6720 colt uppers on LMT lowers with magpul grips & collapsible stocks. The are 16 inch 1/7. The 6920 is heavy barrel and 6720 is a pencil barrel. If I had to keep just one I'd probly go with the 6720. It's easy and light to carry around and accurate enough with irons.

You can probly pick up a new colt for about 1k at Walmart And then load up about 20 mags with your budget. Of course your stated goal was a SHTF rifle not a .5 minute accurate 24 inch floated barrel with high dollar optics for coyotes at a few hundred yards.

#29 ·
In all truth the lower is sort of a commodity for AR15/M4s. The upper is where the men are separated from the boys: the upper receiver and barrel and bolt group are what make the Colt LE6920/M4 a great SHTF rifle. With that said I purchased a Colt LE6920/M4 upper off of Snipers hide, NIB. I pieced that together with a PSA Lower that I modified to include a RRA chromed 2 stage trigger. I also changed the Colt Bolt out with a Fail Zero bolt. I also changed the charging handle to a BCM "gun fighter" large size. I topped that all off with a EOTech XPS2 and 3x EOTech Magnifier.

So the barrel and upper receiver are Colt. The rest are a selected for my SHTF M4. So core is Colt. But there are better mods that could be done above and beyond a fully Colt rifle.

#30 ·
Thanks guys but this rifle isn't for SHTF. If the time comes ,hopefully not, my M1A is and will always be my go to. I really never thought I would own an AR but my shooting buddy's think I should have one and a carbine would be a total waist so I want,if I get one, a service rifle, 20" fix stock I could shoot matches with. Half a dozen 20 round mags and match ammo. Good to go. Thanks for all the help.

#31 ·
Thanks guys but this rifle isn't for SHTF. If the time comes ,hopefully not, my M1A is and will always be my go to. I really never thought I would own an AR but my shooting buddy's think I should have one and a carbine would be a total waist so I want,if I get one, a service rifle, 20" fix stock I could shoot matches with. Half a dozen 20 round mags and match ammo. Good to go. Thanks for all the help.

Why 20rd mags?

#33 ·
So why not 10 rounders?...cheaper and a heck of a lot easier to find....lol....JK...; )

Makes sense....I'm a tall guy with long arms. Never thought about 30's in the way when prone.....but then those tiny females never complained on the line....; )

#34 ·
Personally I like the carbine. I don't think the loss of MV has hardly any impact on unarmored targets inside of 100m where the 5.56 cartridge is most effective and it still carries the round to 300m without significant drop. I find the length is noticeable in a vehicle.

I'm really not a tack driver, I'm a tactical shooter so maybe that's why I'm not so impressed by the 20".

In the end it's all about what you are most comfortable with so it sounds like your M1A will be your best go to option.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.