M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Very Nice! Here are some photos of my 601 and 602ish clones with accessories. Since taking these photos I have aquired an short pocket open top bipod case for my Armarlite bipod.
Air gun Gun barrel Trigger Gun accessory Metal

Trigger Gun accessory Air gun Auto part Gun barrel

Air gun Trigger Machine gun Gun barrel Gun accessory

Air gun Trigger Machine gun Gun barrel Shotgun

Air gun Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel Material property

Air gun Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel Ammunition

Air gun Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel Machine gun

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Those things bring back memories in mid-80's - the A2s were just coming on the scene then. But I remember those slick-side/ slab of years past.

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
7,547 Posts
Can you post a picture of this "short pocket open top bipod case"? I want to see if its the same as the one I have. Thank you

eQ

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Can you post a picture of this "short pocket open top bipod case"? I want to see if its the same as the one I have. Thank you

eQ
Here you go.
Rectangle Tool Wood Fashion accessory Metal
Rectangle Tool Wood Knife Natural material
Triangle Wood Door Tool Automotive exterior

Plant Grey Font Groundcover Grass

Wood Font Metal Fashion accessory Symmetry

Grey Font Groundcover Rectangle Grass

Reactions: XM25Ren

·
Registered
590 Posts
Sweet! Looks a lot like the one I qualified with at Lackland AFB in 1972 (might have actually been 50 years ago today, or close to it). It might have had a 4-digit serial number--if not 4, it was 5. I'm working on building up an early-look AR--having trouble finding the exact shade of green paint for the furniture.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
I think you need to start with the brown furniture and paint the green over it. So if it wears through I think it will look more 'correct'. I'm curious was the spray paint really just 'regular' spray paint and not a more durable coating? I'd consider a Duracoat type paint if wear is a concern. It's a bit of a catch-22 if you want it to wear for a certain look vs not wear too soon if you like it to stay like 'new'.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Testors FS 34079 Dark Green

34079 looks too dark to me. The ones I remember were lighter and brighter--not quite 34151 Interior Green but not that far from it.

Many of the Lackland early ARs had the green paint worn off down to what looked like a red or brown primer, or down to bare fiberglass. I found a can of green camo paint that might be in the right neighborhood, and was planning to lay that over red primer.

Here's some pics I took at a gun show a few years ago of an original M16, still wearing its original paint.
Gas Tool Nickel Metal Household hardware

Green Hood Gas Machine Wood

Bicycle part Carbon Gas Auto part Electrical wiring

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Check with John Thomas at RetroArmsWorks.com. He probably has it figured out, various ways to duplicate it. He recently responded to me on some 602 questions I had.

·
Registered
8,801 Posts
Great thread guys! Since I have you all here, can I assume these are the type M16s used in Vietnam….I noticed no forward assist.

Thanks
Ren

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Great thread guys! Since I have you all here, can I assume these are the type M16s used in Vietnam….I noticed no forward assist.

Thanks
Ren
Was typing this:
Basically what was said above.

Based on what I've seen at this website http://retroblackrifle.com/ I think they must have gone to Vietnam. Also the slickside uppers with no forward assist continued on in use even after the forward assist variants came about around 1964ish to 1967 becoming the M16A1. So I think its safe to say these types made it to Vietnam or that slickside uppers made it to Vietnam.

·
Registered
590 Posts

Thanks
Ren
I'm under the impression that MOST of the M16s used in Vietnam were A1s with the forward assists. USAF stayed with "straight" M16s and none EVER had a forward assist, though they did adopt the birdcage flash hiders and mag-button fences.

Here's my retro-project AR. I started it with a genuine USAF-surplus upper, so no FA. It's on a cheap EA lower with the fences, which doesn't bother me. I have a second set of "furniture" to paint green, including an early buttstock with no trap door, and a 3-prong flash hider, and even an early hard-chromed bolt carrier assembly, though it has a Parked M261 .22LR USGI conversion in it in this pic. If I ever get around to finishing it off, it should look pretty good.

Machine gun Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
I got some info from Duracoat. I asked them about what color they thought matched the early green furniture.

“looks very close to our Russian Army Light Green”

1 - 20 of 21 Posts