M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So while applying ice packs to my head this morningGI8, I thought about this new year 2011. Then another number came to mind, 1911! Followed by Colt. Then .45! So I went to their website to see what I could see. Yup, a couple of pistols marking the anniversary! Now the tough question, would you fire this pistol if you had one? Monday morning I will be making phone calls to the local gun shop.GI6 Whaddya think members?

Doug

P.S. This keyboard is really loud. I may need more ice.GI4

·
Senior Chief, U. S. Navy, Ret
407 Posts
Happy 100th Anniversary!!

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
1911's are meant to be shot, they cost too much to just lie around and look pretty!GI6

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Hummel Dolls and Beanie Babies are for collecting...Pistols are for shooting.

I suppose if a feller bought commemorative stuff for display, that's fine and dandy, but I've never been the sort to have the bucks to turn firearms into wall art.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I have the repo WWI in the box and also a 38 super that was a special run for the Ohio Gun Collectors Association. I have these set back and will not shoot. I am not a hard core collector, but I have a few 1911's that I built and work on for shooters. M14's and 1911's rock. FRG1

·
Registered
623 Posts
They just go together like peanut butter and jelly!GI6
meat and potatoes,hot wings and cold beer,burger and fries.
And If I had enough money,and enough 1911's already...possibly.If I got one ten years from now NIB never shot yes.But im not a collector either.Under certain situations I see the merit.

I have a good friend with a remy700 30-06 100 yr commemerative he hunts with it.
He recently found a winny 30-30 Wells Fargo commerative in box unshot. It wont be.

Is the pleasure of using it worth the possible loss in collectability? Guess we have to answer that for ourselves.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I admit it, I have been saving for a while now so that I could buy the basic Colt 100th anniversary model. It will be a shooter, as I do not buy them to look at them.

·
Registered
32 Posts
What I think is funny is that in 75 years collectors will not be looking for the "collectables" and "commemoratives" they're going to be fighting over and paying top dollar for the run of the mill base model 1991 series nib that was MADE in 2011 by the s/n not some goofy ass engraving. I think I may have to finally go get a Colt this year.

·
Registered
60 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
I agree with the poster who said his 1911's are meant to be shot,not looked at(i have 5 )and I am not done....The 1911 can get a complete make over just by changing the grips,4 screws,5 minutes.If you want to see some of mine give me a pm.Semper Fi

·
Registered
3,830 Posts

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
I won't buy a new one but 6 years from now when mine turns 100 I will take it to the range and my son and I will "warm it up". He'll get to use those tiny little sights and see how good that old warhorse still shoots.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Quite a few articles are in the current G&A, A.R., and Guns magazines on the anniversary of this fine pistol, if you are interested in reading....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts