M14 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks in advance!

Can I ship a Pre-ban M14 magizine to Colorado?

Trust, but verify

Very respectfully,

Wes Lee

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Yes and no.

Yes, you can ship it and nobody will care. I can walk into just about any gun store and buy a 30 round Pmag. Most of the sheriffs and PDs have vowed to not enforce this law. It is quite literally the most broken law in CO and nobody cares. The only places that follow the law are the corporate places like gander mountain a sportsmens warehouse. Almost everyone else has fully assembled mags in factory packaging sitting on the shelves.

No. The "unenforced, laughing stock of a law" says you can't

If it bothers you, remove the floor plate and it becomes a parts kit

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
This is something I wouldn't treat cavalierly. CYA isn't always something idiots do after they screw up, it's something smart people do before they screw up.

CYA on this.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tracking, but I'd be the one they would make an example of... Not good for my clearance

Guy said "pre-ban" were OK to ship, just making sure it's within the law.

So, can pre-ban mags legally be shipped to Colorado?

Thanks again,

Wes Lee

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
The way the high capacity magazine law is written in Colorado, it's practically unenforceable. It says you can't have them unless you had them before the law was passed, but it's up to you to prove it if you get caught with them. It doesn't look like they made provisions to register grandfathered magazines so how can anyone tell?

http://smartgunlaws.org/large-capacity-ammunition-magazines-in-colorado/

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Legally...If you already own them, then yes. If you are acquiring them for the first time, then no. Say for instance, I own some 20 round M14 mags and I travel out of state for a high power match. I can then legally bring them back into the state as they were my property before the law went into effect and so the grandfather clause kicks in.

Brycom1 is right though... only 2 counties have sheriff's that claim they will enforce the law (Denver & Boulder).... and even if they decide to enforce it, it is difficult for them to prove you didn't already have those magazines unless they are date/time stamped with a date that is after the date the law went into effect. The burden of proof is on the state in this case and unless they catch you in some sort of magazine buying/selling sting, that isn't an easy hurdle to overcome...which is why all the other sheriffs think this law is stupid and unenforceable.

Long story short, if you can find someone to ship you magazines that either aren't stamped with a date or that date is before the ban went into effect, nothing will probably come of it....but it's up to you to decide if you are willing to take that risk.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
The way the high capacity magazine law is written in Colorado, it's practically unenforceable. It says you can't have them unless you had them before the law was passed, but it's up to you to prove it if you get caught with them. It doesn't look like they made provisions to register grandfathered magazines so how can anyone tell?

http://smartgunlaws.org/large-capacity-ammunition-magazines-in-colorado/
The state has the burden to prove you did not own the magazines at the time the law went into effect... See this excerpt.

(b) IF A PERSON WHOIS ALLEGED TO HAVE VIOLATED SUBSECTION(1) OF THIS SECTION ASSERTS THAT HE OR SHE IS PERMITTED TO LEGALLY POSSESS A LARGE-CAPACITY MAGAZINE PURSUANT TO PARAGRAPH (a) OF THIS SUBSECTION (2), THE PROSECUTION HAS THE BURDEN OF PROOF TO REFUTE THE ASSERTION.

Reactions: Buelligan

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Believe me when I say this..

The CO states attorney has way bigger fish to fry than going after an outastater for shipping a mag to CO.

There are no custom inspections upon entering CO.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
I think one person has been charged under the law and it was a add on charge to a guy that threatened to shoot up a community college.

They then dropped the charge do to being unable to prove it

·
Forum Jester
7,336 Posts
wear gloves while packaging it and a ficticious name/address for return or no return address

·
Registered
394 Posts
Legally...If you already own them, then yes. If you are acquiring them for the first time, then no.
That was my understanding of the law. Me personally, I wouldn't ship anything over the limit of the law regardless of when it was made. I know the chance of anything coming about from it are practically zero, but you never know when Murphy will show his ugly face! Strange things happen

1 - 12 of 12 Posts